Post pics of your builds....
Nov 8, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #8,341 of 9,811
Ebay has lots of that case!

M

Nov 8, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #8,343 of 9,811

Quote:
Sarals, that looks pretty good! Where did you find the case? The combo of that enclosure plus the Bulgin switch looks great. The recessed 1/4" jack is not bad either.

Thank you!

The case is easily found on eBay.  HLLY has it, as do several other "stores".  The price varies a little, but it's usually around $60 with shipping, all told.

@mmayer167 - thank you!  Yes, it is colorful!

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #8,344 of 9,811

That's a nice case and a very tidy looking build... I'm now looking through the enclosures on ebay, they're much nicer than the Hammond or Unicase stuff I can get my hands on locally. See if I can find something suitable for my 'Objective 2' & possibly 'The Wire' [if my order with the GB isn't to late]...
L3000.gif

Quote:
Thank you!

The case is easily found on eBay.  HLLY has it, as do several other "stores".  The price varies a little, but it's usually around $60 with shipping, all told.

@mmayer167 - thank you!  Yes, it is colorful!

Nov 9, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #8,345 of 9,811

Quote:
That's a nice case and a very tidy looking build... I'm now looking through the enclosures on ebay, they're much nicer than the Hammond or Unicase stuff I can get my hands on locally. See if I can find something suitable for my 'Objective 2' & possibly 'The Wire' [if my order with the GB isn't to late]...
L3000.gif

Thank you, Paul!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, there are some nice cases on eBay.  I saw some from an Oregon seller that looked particularly nice just last week.  Some cases even have blank panels - Front Panel Express, maybe? - which I though offered possibilities for a future "high end build".  Hmmmm...   ! 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #8,346 of 9,811
Bottlehead Crack with speed-ball upgrade, sounds fantastic!

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #8,347 of 9,811

Quote:
Bijou Amp 

dean0,

First the Bijou then the Crack.  Can he be stopped?!?!?!!!  Nice work, man.  They look like solid builds. 

Where did you get the knobs for the Bijou?  I need something similar and large.  And which (monster) caps are you using for it?  They look like delicious overkill!

Thanks!
Brian

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #8,348 of 9,811

Quote:
dean0,

First the Bijou then the Crack.  Can he be stopped?!?!?!!!  Nice work, man.  They look like solid builds. 

Where did you get the knobs for the Bijou?  I need something similar and large.  And which (monster) caps are you using for it?  They look like delicious overkill!

Thanks!
Brian

They are beautiful!  Such craftsmanship, and the casework is superb.  Kudos!!!

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #8,349 of 9,811
Got a little bored, so I decided to finally get around to building a source selector that uses relays, instead of going through rotary switches.  I had everything lying around except for the two circuit boards, which I snagged from radio shack, so a nice cheap project for me, always nice.

Front panel:  Two banks of LED's, left four show the outputs, right three show inputs.  1/8" Switchcraft jacks on either corner, one on right is an input, the one on the left is an output, these will come in handy for testing portable headphone amps, and providing a line in for a bed guest's ipod (seriously, trying to explain to a girl that you have to fire up several pieces of gear before any music can be played is bad enough, but telling them that you have no way of hooking up their ipod because your hand build system doesn't have any way of connecting to it is even worse.  So a tip to all you single guys out there, make sure your system can play a lady's ipod, they're very attached to their music, which you'll have to listen to if you want to get attached to them...).  Right knob input selector, left knob output selector.

Back side of the front panel:

Inside shot of the rear:  I stacked the boards to save space, bottom board is controlling outputs, top board is controlling inputs.  Matsu****a relays (EDIT:  nice filter on matsush-ita, ha!).  Output relays default to 1k resistors to prevent hum in the system, inputs go to 10k.  On the underside of the boards there are diodes across the relay coils to prevent any noise/chatter.

Rear panel:  I used what I had on hand, so the outputs are Canare RCA's, wish they had all been the same color, or at least three reds and three whites, inputs are Neutrik.  Using an xlr as the power jack, which is fed by a random 5v power supply I had laying around.

I'm pretty happy with it, got rid of my passive selector box which I never really cared for, and it adds some more LED's to the system, always a good addition.

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #8,350 of 9,811
Got a little bored, so I decided to finally get around to building a source selector that uses relays, instead of going through rotary switches.  I had everything lying around except for the two circuit boards, which I snagged from radio shack, so a nice cheap project for me, always nice.

Front panel:  Two banks of LED's, left four show the outputs, right three show inputs.  1/8" Switchcraft jacks on either corner, one on right is an input, the one on the left is an output, these will come in handy for testing portable headphone amps, and providing a line in for a bed guest's ipod (seriously, trying to explain to a girl that you have to fire up several pieces of gear before any music can be played is bad enough, but telling them that you have no way of hooking up their ipod because your hand build system doesn't have any way of connecting to it is even worse.  So a tip to all you single guys out there, make sure your system can play a lady's ipod, they're very attached to their music, which you'll have to listen to if you want to get attached to them...).  Right knob input selector, left knob output selector.

Back side of the front panel:

Inside shot of the rear:  I stacked the boards to save space, bottom board is controlling outputs, top board is controlling inputs.  Matsu****a relays (EDIT:  nice filter on matsush-ita, ha!).  Output relays default to 1k resistors to prevent hum in the system, inputs go to 10k.  On the underside of the boards there are diodes across the relay coils to prevent any noise/chatter.

Rear panel:  I used what I had on hand, so the outputs are Canare RCA's, wish they had all been the same color, or at least three reds and three whites, inputs are Neutrik.  Using an xlr as the power jack, which is fed by a random 5v power supply I had laying around.

I'm pretty happy with it, got rid of my passive selector box which I never really cared for, and it adds some more LED's to the system, always a good addition.

Super nice but a 3.5 and 1/4 input and output might have been useful, no? They are more common than rca's. I get that you probably have rca to 3.5 adaptors but i would have still thrown one in for good measure. Still a very nice and useful project that i might have to repeat when i have more than one amp.

Nov 12, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #8,351 of 9,811

Quote:
Super nice but a 3.5 and 1/4 input and output might have been useful, no? They are more common than rca's. I get that you probably have rca to 3.5 adaptors but i would have still thrown one in for good measure. Still a very nice and useful project that i might have to repeat when i have more than one amp.

3.5mm is more common to me, and I rarely see a 1/4" jack for anything beyond my bass guitar, the 3.5mm (1/8") is strictly for ipod (and assorted mp3 player) input and output to small portable headphone amps.  There's no amplification nor volume control, so no need for 1/4" jacks, at least for me.  If you're interested in building something similar let me know, it's real simple, and I can draw up a real quick, down and dirty, schematic.

Nov 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #8,352 of 9,811
3.5mm is more common to me, and I rarely see a 1/4" jack for anything beyond my bass guitar, the 3.5mm (1/8") is strictly for ipod (and assorted mp3 player) input and output to small portable headphone amps.  There's no amplification nor volume control, so no need for 1/4" jacks, at least for me.  If you're interested in building something similar let me know, it's real simple, and I can draw up a real quick, down and dirty, schematic.

oh I didn't realize that those were 1/8s on the front, and I was just saying 1/4 for direct headphone plugin.
And like i said i really don'tt have a use for it(yet) and have way to many projects and stuff to buy before dreaminof adding another one.

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #8,353 of 9,811

Quote:
oh I didn't realize that those were 1/8s on the front, and I was just saying 1/4 for direct headphone plugin.
And like i said i really don'tt have a use for it(yet) and have way to many projects and stuff to buy before dreaminof adding another one.

ha, my drunken ramblings have shown up on here again, fantastic.  It came off a little jerkish, sorry about that, whoops!

I know the sentiment on too many projects...

Nov 20, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #8,355 of 9,811

My Aikido Parafeed headphone amp, finally finished.
I had it playing music on the breadboard for almost 2 years but it took forever to get it cased up.

Tubes are 6CG7 RCA clear top and 6H30DR, boards are the first ones from Broskie with one
of the boards rewired to have a symmetrical layout.

PSU is all regulated with a Salas HV shunt regulator for B+ and a LM1084-based reg for the heaters.
The PSU is in a separate case connected to the amplifier via thorougly braided wires and XLR connectors
(3 pole for B+ and 5 pole for the heaters).

Parafeed OPT's are custom wound C-core units from AE Europe in the Netherlands providing two
secondary taps for 300/64 ohm headphones. Parafeed caps are ERO KP bypassed with massive Richard Jahre Mica's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back