Post pics of your builds....
Nov 5, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #8,328 of 9,811
Nothing too fancy, but finished up casing my balanced Dynalo and Twisted Pear Audio Opus with transformer output.  Still waiting for new knobs and feet.

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #8,331 of 9,811
Hi, finally put my O2 into an enclosure [Hammond 1455N1602BK]. The case is a touch on the large size but the 2nd pcb fits perfect behind the 1st and stops any movement :xf_eek:)

My plans of a custom made case went horribly wrong, so my O2 has ended up more plain jane than planed...

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #8,332 of 9,811

Very nice Paul.  How does it sound with the HD650? I have received my two boards but have yet ordered the parts (got to many. Project going on) I've also ordered he front plates from a GB. What gain did you select?
Quote:
Hi, finally put my O2 into an enclosure [Hammond 1455N1602BK]. The case is a touch on the large size but the 2nd pcb fits perfect behind the 1st and stops any movement :xf_eek:)

My plans of a custom made case went horribly wrong, so my O2 has ended up more plane jane than planed...

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #8,333 of 9,811
Hi, I have the gains set to x2.25 & x3.4, the 650's are well driven and there's no sign of that vail...

I can only be subjective about the performance of the O2 as I've not much experience of other headphone amps: Denon AVR-2310 [home cinema amp], CMoy [various opamps] and a Asus Xonar Essence STX [headphone out only]...

For me the O2 is a transparent amp and what I'm hearing is very much that of the 650's signiture. IMHO it sounds a bit like the standard STX but with better HF responce and deeper, cleaner, well controlled LF's. Overall it's got a well balanced sound, slightly warm [650's], with detailing and sound stage that are beyond anything I heard so far. For the price it's an amazing amp and well worth the money, how it compares to the likes of The Wire, Beta 22 etc, I don't know.

Hope that's helpful.

Quote:
Very nice Paul.  How does it sound with the HD650? I have received my two boards but have yet ordered the parts (got to many. Project going on) I've also ordered he front plates from a GB. What gain did you select?

Edit: I've listened to 40-45 albums this last week, with a minor few of the cd's I've thought the amp sounded good but wasn't doing the material any favours, revealing everything. With the majority of recodings I've been completly blown away by it...

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #8,334 of 9,811
The Tachikoma is a nice touch!  I take it he helped you build it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #8,336 of 9,811
Very transparent amp. Good.  Thank you for sharing your feedback Paul.

Quote:
Hi, I have the gains set to x2.25 & x3.4, the 650's are well driven and there's no sign of that vail...

I can only be subjective about the performance of the O2 as I've not much experience of other headphone amps: Denon AVR-2310 [home cinema amp], CMoy [various opamps] and a Asus Xonar Essence STX [headphone out only]...

For me the O2 is a transparent amp and what I'm hearing is very much that of the 650's signiture. IMHO it sounds a bit like the standard STX but with better HF responce and deeper, cleaner, well controlled LF's. Overall it's got a well balanced sound, slightly warm [650's], with detailing and sound stage that are beyond anything I heard so far. For the price it's an amazing amp and well worth the money, how it compares to the likes of The Wire, Beta 22 etc, I don't know.

Hope that's helpful.

Edit: I've listened to 40-45 albums this last week, with a minor few of the cd's I've thought the amp sounded good but wasn't doing the material any favours, revealing everything. With the majority of recodings I've been completly blown away by it...

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #8,337 of 9,811
well this isnt my build but since were on the O2....

I got my Objective 2 amp from aerohoff at diyaudio today.

Initial power up and listening with the t50rp is very good. Plenty of headroom for the t50. Driven via LOD from flac's on the ipod it sounds great. Clean, accurate, zero noise, lots of black between music, very flat, bass is not shy, not as dynamic as the lyr but its got that solid state punch the lyr doesn't quite have. It really is like "wire with gain".  Overall very happy!

I might dive in and transplant the board into a box i can put rca's and 1/4 into. Hard decision since its a nice brick as it is... maybe i'll just wait till the desktop boards come out :)

M

picture for feast \/

Nov 8, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #8,338 of 9,811
It's not an Objective 2, but it is one of those Chinese eBay amps, and this one sounds quite good!  It is my first attempt at a true DIY.  It is merrily perking away right now as I break it in.  It gave it's first (musical) breaths last night, being fed by my iPhone, while it's power transformer sat on the counter next to it.  Today I finished the case, put the board and toroid in it, listened some more, and then did the finishing touches on it.  I thought I'd share some photos of it!  Yes, there is another thread about it - I'll give my impressions of it's sound on that thread.

The case is one of those (big) Chinese eBay items.  It's nice and sturdy, but rather staid.  It does look a little better than a Hammond, IMHO.  A little!

What would I do differently?  Build an M3.  In fact, I think I will!

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #8,339 of 9,811
That looks really nice sarals! colorful :)

M

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #8,340 of 9,811
Sarals, that looks pretty good! Where did you find the case? The combo of that enclosure plus the Bulgin switch looks great. The recessed 1/4" jack is not bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back