Post pics of your builds....
Oct 23, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #7,411 of 9,811

Quote:

[size=x-small]I have those feet from a local DIY-speakers shop, where also accessories for turntable and speakers are available.[/size]
[size=x-small]You should have to take a look at a good audio shop locally, there must be something useful for our DIY hobby.[/size]

nice work mate, really good job, love the power switch on top like that, did you use anything to give additional diffusion the light from the LED? are those feet from audiophonics? been considering getting a chassis from there because they have cool feets of all sorts, plus mundorf caps and a few other bits and pieces so I can take advantage of the pricey shipping, which is better than the shipping directly from HIFI2000 anyway.

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #7,413 of 9,811
cutie! 

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #7,414 of 9,811
EHHA Rev A (MOSFET):

Thanks to Horio for the idea to back-mount the neutriks. I really like the clean look.

Details and more pictures on the main EHHA Rev A thread....

Oct 31, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #7,415 of 9,811
Nicely done JDK, I have not followed the progress of the revised EHHA , but this tells me that it has come a looong way and looking fantastic too. Love the port hole windows and the overall clean build. I trust it sounds as good as it looks ..dB

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #7,417 of 9,811
nice, I have the same dac( well, i have V1) 

some mods that make a night and day difference...

1) Get rid of the inductors and use the filterless schematic, this cleans things up and adds a little more sparkle. 

2) Ditch the anode load resistors, use a CSS (dn2450 cascode + heatsinks)

3) led bias the cathodes, elimating the electrolytic caps and resistors

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #7,418 of 9,811
I did try your 1) and 3) mods but felt the bass is not really adequate. Bumping the cathode caps does help this. I'll try the 2) when I finish the casework for my B22
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #7,419 of 9,811
Yes it was more bassy with the normal cathode scheme, but its too loose and wolly and artifically bumps it in my opinion and gets a bit 'one note'. CSS + LED is a lovely synergy.

You got me wondering about the bass, and its raining so i had a play.

I was abit lazy when doing the mods and only cut out the anode loads from one end, so reverting back was a two minute job.

anode resistors + bypassed cathode resistor = warm and tubey, loose bass, big mids, rolled off highs.

anode reistors + led bias = better top end, much ore sparkle, colder mids, tighter (some would say less) bass

CSS + LED = superb top end (silky smooth, yet good detail), mids are fuller but not overly bloomed, bass is big yet taught.

Its no contest, the CSS and LED are head and shoulders above the other combos. only issue is dropping the B+ as you just dont need the headroom with the CSS. I just stuck a big heatsink on the dn2450's as they will be dissapating 5 watts each.

one more note, with the inductor circuit in, the highs are rolling off into the audible range.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #7,420 of 9,811

Nicely done JDK, I have not followed the progress of the revised EHHA , but this tells me that it has come a looong way and looking fantastic too. Love the port hole windows and the overall clean build. I trust it sounds as good as it looks ..dB

Thanks for the kind words. IMHO, it sounds better than it looks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back