Post pics of your builds....
May 25, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #7,021 of 9,811
I never done anything SMD intense as your build, but I've had mixed results with isopropyl, make sure you get at least 97% pure, otherwise it just won't cut.
My method is usually applied to the base mostly and then spot clean the top. I use a good liberal clean with a few cotton buds and isopropyl, I do this several times each time is kind of like a rinse until squeaky clean. Downside is that cotton frays and leaves behind strands, but these are easly picked up with several cleans and once you get a method happening you can avoid them.
Anyway the Cardas stuff you've used leaves little mess, I've had great results from it. Congrats again on a great build - I'm looking forward to long session with it!

May 25, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #7,022 of 9,811
Iso + medium bristle toothbrush gives perfect results.
It'll take one completely wet scrub plus a second pass to get a shiny result.

Mind you I go crazy and flux every joint so I have a fair bit to clean when I'm done  =P

This goes hand-in-hand with my ocd for other things... like checking every single component for value ect.

May 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7,023 of 9,811
oh I flux every joint too, as it assures a nice smooth shiny fillet, but in this case that just means using a tiny spatula I have and scraping a small amount on the pads and the part, then solder, so not much to clean, but there were some areas on this I went a bit overboard to make sure I could be quick.

so let me get this straight Tom, say you had a roll of 100nf 0805 SMD caps; you would still check every one before applying to the board? or just the first one in the roll like I do?

oh and John, no problems on the long listen at the meet, buying my tickets today, this is just part of a much larger build its gonna be intense alright :wink: hopefully I have my Blue PTFE dac board in by then; hey Tom?? :wink:

anyway should probably stop chatting in the pics thread, thanks again for all the tips guys

May 26, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #7,024 of 9,811
Just mucking about

Gotta love toner transfer :)

This is a Texas instruments TPA6111A2 as a gain stage, with a Szekeres output stage powered by a Tread type power supply

CIMG8065Small.jpg
CIMG8066Small.jpg
CIMG8074Small.jpg
CIMG8099Small.jpg
CIMG8086Small.jpg
CIMG8090Small.jpg

This is it's little brother that started it all off :)

CIMG8061Small.jpg

CIMG8098Small.jpg
CIMG8096Small.jpg
CIMG8094Small.jpg

I hate to say it but I think the little fellow sounds better,

Any how just sharing

thanks for looking
FRED

May 27, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #7,027 of 9,811
very cool; the soul of DIY!! pity about the apparent outcome, perhaps the new amp will grow on you like the first one did??

May 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #7,029 of 9,811
Its one of those rubber self healing craft mats, its the size of a desk blotter, should be available from any craft shop

cheers
FRED

May 30, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #7,030 of 9,811
A Broskie PS-2 HV power supply, 276VDC.. intended for the AIkido which I have decided not to build. So this tested PSU will go into the projects box for a future tube hybrid build. 
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #7,031 of 9,811

Quote:
A Broskie PS-2 HV power supply, 276VDC.. intended for the AIkido which I have decided not to build. So this tested PSU will go into the projects box for a future tube hybrid build. 
wink.gif

2 words:
SinglePower clone.

My own fun.
Last year I built an amp so that I would have something cool and new to bring to CanJam. I finished it on Wednesday, listened to it at work on Thursday and put it and me on the plane Friday. I'm ahead of schedule for this years project!

It is a Zhaolu 2.5a with Edcor 10K:600 ohm output transformers.

The transformers accept the balanced voltage output from the DAC, step it down a bunch, scrub off some HF, isolate the DC offset from the outputs without the use of a capacitor, and output balanced or single ended over TRS plugs. I used TRS plugs because of how easy they are to convert from inferiorly ended (single ended) to superiorly ended (balanced).

As a neat trick, I used switched TRS plugs. I wired them so that when there is no cable inserted the built in headphone amp does its thing. I plan to use this as part of my work rig so that will be quite nice when I rotate other gear in and out of that system.

Jun 3, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #7,033 of 9,811

Quote:
That was without permission.  If someone really clones my design, there's not much I could do except to say "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", and urge people to get the real thing.  I would also prefer the "clones" to call themselves something else.  I don't like to have inferior products taking a free ride on my reputation.

http://www.amb.org/forum/mini3-portable-headphone-amplifier-f16/shameless-mini3-copies-t206.html

Suing someone over a copied PCB is pretty difficult. While you could probably nab him over the name, a very small difference in the PCB could render his design 100% kosher. And unless you've developed something new (and, let's be honest, linear audio amplifiers are about as old hat as anything could be), copyrighting your schematic is darn near impossible in practice.  A small rearrangement of the PCB (such as the switch to DIP op-amps) combined with a change of name, and he's golden.

On the subject of "Fair Use": ​

So long as they're not profiting from it, you can't legally prevent someone from building a copy of anything. Furthermore, while reproducing an exact image of a schematic (e.g. a photocopy) is illegal, drawing up said schematic in Eagle and posting it to the forum is just fine. Unless you've done something nobody has ever done before and patented it, you're basically up a creek without a paddle. ​

Quote:

If I wanted to build a mini^3 for myself with a custom pcb, would that be considered fair use of your work?
Or should one seek permission first?

Quote:

If I wanted to build a mini^3 for myself with a custom pcb, would that be considered fair use of your work?

Quote:

Jun 3, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #7,034 of 9,811
Quote:
 A small rearrangement of the PCB (such as the switch to DIP op-amps) combined with a change of name, and he's golden. Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He also has to have trademarked the name to sue over that as well. Apart from the community frowning upon it and discouraging people against it, there is pretty much nothing you can do about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back