Post pics of your builds....
May 20, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #6,977 of 9,811
Not a chance! I'll leave the tubes to the chinese sellers
bigsmile_face.gif

cheers
FRED

May 20, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #6,979 of 9,811
Quote:
So pretty, but c'mon - light that puppy up already... such pretty work. Were that I had that type patience on a build (and no, pending design disasters do not count as patience, no matter how many YEARS they take).  
angry_face.gif

If all goes well I'll flip the switch some time late tonight.  The inputs are pretty much wired now, just need to do the outputs and then it'll be time to run through the initial setup on 120VAC and then break out the variac and see if the international plan actually works. :)

May 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #6,980 of 9,811
Little experiment.

According to rightmark the noise floor is really high, I believe the gas discharge tube needs a bypass cap, I just have to dig out one of my old russian teflon 0.056uF's. Also the 120Hz is poking out of the noise floor as well, so I might need another LC stage, or OPT needs to be farther from the choke. The Hammond 193L is doing fantastic in choke-input duty, no mechanical hum at all.

But, for mono, sounds pretty good. I tried some old Edcor XSM 10K:600's to do some preamp duty testing for rightmark, and they didn't measure very good at all. But the custom XSM 10K:38's that I had them make for phones measure extremely flat. First harmonics are at least -70db, can't tell the others due to the noise atm.

May 20, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #6,982 of 9,811
The supply is split +147/-86, ground is just a reference voltage set by CCS-loaded gas discharge tube, and I might replace that with a simple resistive divider if I can't quiet down the discharge tube. But they are so pretty!

It is differential push-pull. The XSM 10K:38 carries ~23ma per side.

May 21, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #6,990 of 9,811
I love it Nate. I wish I had designer skills like some of you guys too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back