Post pics of your builds....
May 19, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #6,961 of 9,811

Quote:
If the result is close enough a resemblance to the original, I would consider it a clone.  I think the one from nems is without a doubt, a "clone".  Aside from changing to DIP opamps the rest are just about the same (nevermind that such a change clearly shows a lack of understanding of the design).

Then you have nothing to worry about.  I don't mind anyone making clones for their own personal use.  When someone (either for lack of ability or originality) makes clones not only to make a business from it, but also tries to ride on my reputation without my permission, then I do have a problem with it.  I post my designs in an open manner for the benefit of DIYers, not for scammers who do not respect intellectual property.

Thanks for clearing that up.

It is unfortunate that for every person that shares their work and knowledge with the community, there are always those who try to make an easy profit from it.

Quote:
Ok, so just in case nems is still following this, he should remove all reference to AMB's design such as "MINI3" and I thought I saw a "www.amb.org/audio/" on there that should also go. Come up with a new name for it. Give some sort of credit to AMB for the original work that he used? While the schematic and layout is obviously a shameless clone, not sure there's anything wrong or can be done about that. We all copy each other all the time. Especially in the commercial world.

What nems should do is not sell anything based on Ti's work (or anyone else's for that matter).

Even if he removed all references to AMB, he'd still be profiting of his work on both the amp design and pcb layout.
Cloning a mini^3 and calling it a "super-duper amp" would still be wrong, IMO.

If nems really wants to sell amps, then he should come up with something new.

May 19, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #6,962 of 9,811
Dude, how can't you understand that the mini3 design(this includes the schematic and pcb layout) is AMB's creation and property, and therefore no one can copy it for commercial reasons?

Say you design a chair which is a design piece and very successful business wise, and some guy comes and steals your design and starts making copies, selling them for half the price and this way ruining your business. Do you also think there is nothing wrong with that?

May 19, 2010 at 10:40 AM Post #6,964 of 9,811

Ya, I agree...it is an important point but it should be somewhere else now.
No one has even commented on how ugly my last build was...

Quote:
Could we move this discussion out of the "pics of your build" thread?
Important topic and point of discussion, but it's cluttering the thread.

May 19, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #6,965 of 9,811
Rather than move the discussion I'm going to leave it here since nems has removed the original posts that he made on the topic and also edited his add on the other site to no longer include anything looking like the mini3.  But let this serve as a warning to others, the outright theft and reuse of any designer's work without permission (as was clearly the case here) is a good way to get yourself an unpopular custom title.

Let's take this back on topic, here's a picture of my work-in-progress eXStata which incorporates the provision for switching of input voltages to accommodate internal 230V mains while using a latching illuminated switch in conjunction with a 120VAC relay.  The scheme used was designed and implemented by amb as a part of the krmathis beta22 and was adapted with Ti's help and guidance. 

May 19, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #6,966 of 9,811
I just finished my "multimode" EHHA. It can be wired in balanced configuration though at this time it is wired as a dual independent headphone amp. I have all the connectors to use it as a SE/Balanced Preamp, Dual SE/balanced headphone amp. The input jacks can be wired to convert unbalanced signal to balanced signal. (sort of more like dual active ground).

The separate sigma22/12v heater supply at the moment only has one sigma22 board, but there's enough space to put another in there. The transformer is a custom made SUMr transformer with 30-0-30 5A secondary and 12-0 5A secondary.

I used 9-pin AMP CPC connectors to build the umbilical cable for the sigma22 and any other amp I might use with it. The 9-pin connector has enough space two run DC power from two separate Sigma22 power supplies.

Amperex Orange Globe 6gm8's

The chassis are hand build from scratch (ugh it kinda shows) using 3/4" anodized aluminum angle and square tubing with 1/4" polycarbonate bottoms and 1/8" translucent white acylic panels. Everything is drilled and tapped. ground continuity is maintained throughout the aluminum frame through the stainless steel screws securing the frame together.

The board mounted LED's are bottom mounted to shine through the clear polycarbonate bottoms for that "ground effect" look. Standard clear stick on rubber feet complete the chassis.

The top panel has a chevron type vents cut into it which is adequate, the EHHA amp required more venting and I haven't figured out what to do there yet.

This is an early picture, i fused two switches together on the transformer secondary due to inrush current. I also annihilated over 26 2A fuses before putting a CL60 thermister inline after the fuse. That made my power supply very happy. I also replaced the 30-0-30 switch with a heavy duty 20A industrial toggle, as I was tired of fused contacts.

Starting to wire the EHHA

mmm Polycarbonate

$40 umbilical cable. *sigh*

Rear Panel of Sigma22/heater supply

Rear Panel of EHHA

The Combo in action

Blue Glowy Goodness, soon to be Annoying Blue Glowy

My camera sucks for dark shots.

I'm very impressed with the amp, though I only have my SOHA II to compare. Took me 8 months and probably $1000 dollars to get here.

May 19, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #6,970 of 9,811
jjazzyj I love that chassis design and congrats on the very nice build ! Are you experiencing any heat issues ? Does that cost (1K) include the chassis ?

The night shots look terrific (well the one that is in focus at least 
biggrin.gif
)
beerchug.gif

Peete.

May 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #6,971 of 9,811
Looks ugly, but makes you feel so good when you use it. You should call it "The vagina amp"

Was that over the line? please delete this if it was.

PS: I built one from scavenged parts and love the sound.

May 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #6,972 of 9,811

So pretty, but c'mon - light that puppy up already... such pretty work. Were that I had that type patience on a build (and no, pending design disasters do not count as patience, no matter how many YEARS they take).  
angry_face.gif

Quote:
Let's take this back on topic, here's a picture of my work-in-progress eXStata which incorporates the provision for switching of input voltages to accommodate internal 230V mains while using a latching illuminated switch in conjunction with a 120VAC relay.  The scheme used was designed and implemented by amb as a part of the krmathis beta22 and was adapted with Ti's help and guidance. 

May 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #6,973 of 9,811

Quote:
jjazzyj I love that chassis design and congrats on the very nice build ! Are you experiencing any heat issues ? Does that cost (1K) include the chassis ?

biggrin.gif
)
beerchug.gif

Peete.

The downside to night shots is you need a tripod. The only one in focus I used the ottoman as a stand... Thanks for the kudos. No heat issues, yet. But I haven't measured internal temps on the power supply yet. After a few hours running you can touch the heatsinks and hold your fingers there for 10-30 secs before it gets uncomfortable. It would make a nice space heater. The amp chassis requires significantly more venting so I haven't decided on a venting scheme. I used 2.6C/W heatsinks, largest on-board heatsinks you can get. And yes the 1k is including the chassis. I built both chassis (not including connectors/switches for about $120...

May 20, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #6,974 of 9,811

Quote:

biggrin.gif
)
beerchug.gif

Peete.

Quote:

The downside to night shots is you need a tripod. The only one in focus I used the ottoman as a stand... Thanks for the kudos. No heat issues, yet. But I haven't measured internal temps on the power supply yet. After a few hours running you can touch the heatsinks and hold your fingers there for 10-30 secs before it gets uncomfortable. It would make a nice space heater. The amp chassis requires significantly more venting so I haven't decided on a venting scheme. I used 2.6C/W heatsinks, largest on-board heatsinks you can get. And yes the 1k is including the chassis. I built both chassis (not including connectors/switches for about $120...

To further answer the heat issue. The Sigma22/Heater supply internal temperature is around 40C the heatsinks themselves are around 50C. The EHHA's heatsinks are around 50C as well, 2-3 degrees lower cause it's uncovered. The internal temp of the uncovered EHHA is below 40C with the top on I'd imagine it would be higher then the Sigma22/Heater since there are more heatsinks dissipating heat. That isn't too bad IMHO.

May 20, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #6,975 of 9,811

Hi
Just been mucking about with a tube

CIMG8010Small.jpg
CIMG8008Small.jpg
CIMG8012Small.jpg
CIMG8005Small.jpg

Based on this circuit
xiang.jpg

The board was made using toner transfer, and has a couple glaring mistakes
the first is the heat sinks are too close together and too small, but that has an upside as I can now only listen to music in 5minute bursts otherwise the heat sinks tend to glow
this means I get in less trouble with she who must be obayed
smile_phones.gif

Any way it was fun and it sounds nice, I just need bigger heatsinks or water cooling :)

cheers
FRED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back