Post pics of your builds....
Aug 13, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #5,536 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtostenr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just finished populating 4 Beta 22 boards the other day. Well, except for the MOSFETs, since I don't have the heatsinks yet. Still need to clean the bottom of the PCBs, but haven't decided what cleaner to use. Is there any reason to clean off the flux residue besides the fact that it looks a bit messy?

Never uploaded pics before, so I hope this works....

Jeff

Looks good, cleaning flux off also removes solder splutter that gets caught up in the flux. Depending on the severity of the mess, pieces of solder could cause a minor solder bridge.

How to Clean Circuit Boards

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #5,539 of 9,811
Is that what its called
wink.gif

I got it from ebay a while ago

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #5,540 of 9,811
I finally got around to putting the LED's in my M3:

3818469151_a740a991c8.jpg

Can't quite get the effect of having the lights off but I did my best:

3818470807_1a9f73bc9d.jpg

I assure you, the whole piece of plastic lights up, I just never wanted it that bright.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #5,541 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_fred2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that what its called
wink.gif

I got it from ebay a while ago

Yup. It's made from laminated sheets of paper with a phenolic resin binder. Personally I much prefer it to the fiberglass/epoxy based FR-4 which has become de rigueur these days.

Sadly, I contacted a circuit board manufacturing house a while back asking if they could do some boards for me using that material. They didn't even know what I was talking about.

*sigh*

k

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #5,542 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup. It's made from laminated sheets of paper with a phenolic resin binder. Personally I much prefer it to the fiberglass/epoxy based FR-4 which has become de rigueur these days.

Sadly, I contacted a circuit board manufacturing house a while back asking if they could do some boards for me using that material. They didn't even know what I was talking about.

*sigh*

k

I have dealings with San Diego Plastics a long time ago. I don't know if they offer anything of PCB quality but it might be worth the time to give a call to sales.

Aug 14, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #5,544 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by balderon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have dealings with San Diego Plastics a long time ago. I don't know if they offer anything of PCB quality but it might be worth the time to give a call to sales.

Thanks.

It's easy enough to find phenolic laminate here in the US. In fact, the Garolite brand sold by McMaster-Carr is even made here in the US.

It's finding it copper clad that's the problem.

Though I have had thoughts of doing my own circuit boards by using some LE grade, which is like the paper version but instead uses fine weave cotton cloth and phenolic resin.

Then I'd have the individual circuit board traces photochemically machined from some 0.01" thick copper sheet, which would then be attached to the laminate using PCB eyelets.

How's that for crazy?
biggrin.gif

k

Aug 14, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #5,545 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless they take some major steps to improve their quality control I would strongly suggest avoiding Cam-Expert.
wink.gif

This is the best panel of the batch I received today---->
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/IMG_5349.jpg

The other panels were somewhat less then......

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...e/IMG_5358.jpg

IMG_5357.jpg

Nice huh?
mad.gif

Edit: In case you are wondering this is the third (and last) time I have received panels that look like this from them.

Wow, What, Marshall?

Did they use a monkey to dremel those by hand using a paper print out of your FPE file?

-Ed

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #5,548 of 9,811
With the USB socket in the hole I bet 99% of customers wouldn't even notice that flaw. Not saying that makes the quality okay, just saying the vast majority of people wouldn't even notice it with the unit built.

Aug 14, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #5,549 of 9,811
Aug 14, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #5,550 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They said there "was a mistake in the machine software"

Even so, if I had produced somthing like that, I would be so pleased with myself
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back