Post pics of your builds....
Nov 11, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #1,621 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
That's some serious crammage.
How do you like the sound through the Linkwitz? I personally find it dulling to the music, but I'm interested in your opinions.

I agree that the x-feed kinda kills the dynamics alittle. I lie it on some recording but dont have it hooked up at all.
-greg

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #1,622 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsappis
IMG_2317s.jpg

Probably this enclosure comes from the same factory as HiFi-2000 enclosures
wink.gif
. It looks like the Galaxy GX247 (40x230x170)mm.

Nov 11, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #1,623 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari
Probably this enclosure comes from the same factory as HiFi-2000 enclosures
wink.gif
. It looks like the Galaxy GX247 (40x230x170)mm.

Yes, I think you're right. External diameters of Teko DS 2470 are 43x233x176mm. Don't you think even the model names are pretty much the same (2470 and GX247)?
600smile.gif

Funnily though, I paid over twice the price of what audiokit.it asks... (Btw, my case was shipped to my local shop from the States)
Well, now I know where to buy my enclosures next time.
cool.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #1,624 of 9,811
I've had my STEPS PSU built for a while now, but never got around taking photos.
I have set it to output 27V, and contains all standard parts. It does get quite hot when it powers my Millett (I've measured it at about 80 degrees Celcius with an infrared temp gun).
Here's some shots of the innards and case work with the top off:

stepsTop.jpg

steps1.jpg

steps2.jpg

steps3.jpg

Nov 12, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #1,627 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsappis
IMG_2317s.jpg

[size=xx-small]Soon for sale...[/size]

Nice...very nice.... but "soon for sale" ??
blink.gif

Nov 12, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #1,628 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by nichifanlema
Nice...very nice.... but "soon for sale" ??
blink.gif

Yep. While this sounds very pleasant I think I still prefer SS.

That said I'm going tomorrow to listen to HD650's and I'm taking this along. I'll do a brief comparison with an X-can V3 and a Creek OBH21.

Nov 13, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #1,629 of 9,811
Time for a change of pace. Here's the Power strip I built to accomodate plugging my mono blocks directly into my single 20A dedicated outlet. Everything else is plugged into a Monster HTS5300. Both the wall plug and the power strip plug are hospital grade, The power strip plug is housed in a metal box, which was fastened into a african mohogany box. Coverplate is some fancy designer job from lowes. Cable is 14/3 (I tried using 8/4 but couldnt get it to safely work with the outlet) Cable strain relief is provided by a electrical tape plug on the inside of the metal box, which was then sealed off with epoxy normally used for gluing foundation bolts. Nothing fancy to it. Just a simple high quality power strip. Its a shame I took all that time to make it only to throw it behind my rack
biggrin.gif
Ok, it only took me a couple hours.

Total cost about 35 dollars, I had the wood and finish on hand already though.

powerstrip1.jpg

powerstrip2.jpg

Nov 14, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #1,630 of 9,811
Here's one of those "Extreme TDA1543 Kits" from us.hifidiy.net (ebay also) with some "modifications"

http://www.parl.clemson.edu/~rreynol...a/AUT_5805.JPG

http://www.parl.clemson.edu/~rreynol...a/AUT_5806.JPG

http://www.parl.clemson.edu/~rreynol...a/AUT_5804.JPG

Front
http://www.parl.clemson.edu/~rreynol...a/AUT_5901.JPG

Back
http://www.parl.clemson.edu/~rreynol...a/AUT_5902.JPG

-Output stage resistors are Rikens
-Output coupling caps are Auricap 4.7uF
-Output LPF OpAmps are OPA627 (with Blackgate power caps)
-Digital input stage modified to include SS22083 pulse transformer
-Wildmonkeysects PLL Filter mod (270Ohm + 22uF in parallel with a 3300pF)
-All other resistors are PRP
-Heatsinked all of the regulators (only 8V supply is spec-ed by default)
-Digital power supply caps are Os-Cons
-All other caps are Panasonic FMs
-Same transformer as DAC-AH

...Now the fun part....listening to it.

(I really need to get a new camera
mad.gif
)

Nov 14, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #1,631 of 9,811
I have posted a few scattered images of some of the projects that I have built but thought I would post a selection of them here. I was bitten by the diy audio bug about 20 years ago when my girlfriends brother-in-law showed off his home built class A amp ( weighed an absolute ton) and speaker setup. It was incredible, I had some intro level audiophile gear and didn't think it possible to build anything that sounded so good.
icon10.gif

After building a few amps / refurbishing old tube gear and finally building the speakers I wanted, I found that I needed a new outlet for my restless fingers. I owned the original xcans and HD580's and didn't think I could beat that but when I moved and had to clear out a ton of my gear, I got rid of them in a moment of insanity?? GOK
eek.gif
. I had built a dozen or so tinamp cmoy's for family and friends because they were cheap and easy to put together but never thought of them as worthy competition to the xcans. My first real attempt to challenge the xcans was a xfed opa627 based cmoy followed by a WJ diamond buffer which was powered by a regulated psu. I bought myself some SR60's and rediscovered the fun of headphones. This setup sounded good but it got me looking around at other options to build and earlier this year I found the time and inclination. I had this really thick file covering Gilmore's amp, the Morgan Jones, Borberely - too many bloody choices is what it was and then I stumbled across a few newer designs. In a matter of a few months I had built 3 amps and one of Alf's Alien Dacs. Feeding frenzy for the starved
eggosmile.gif
. The SOHA's were built as preamp/buffer stages for my AMP6 (41Hz) which form part of my lab music setup and they do a fine job at it. The build is mostly standard except that they use OPA627/BUF634 output. They sound great driving headphones too, a worthy consideration for anybody wanting to build a hybrid amp. (I built 2 as my brother was intersted too and it was easier to build them at the same time - named agent orange .) The cases are old switch boxes which I picked up for a dollar. Not as elegant as some of the builds I have seen posted here but they do the job superbly.
My current pride and joy is the Cavalli-Kumisa III. It is the best amp I have heard since the bug first bit! More info can be found on Headwize where Runeight has recently released the details of the amp and AMB is going to have boards made. I was lucky to have been involved in the prototyping and have been truly blown away by the control and depth of this amp. Again aesthetics are not my strong point, but it works for me and I thoroughly enjoy listening to it every evening. The final addition came about as a friend asked me to build yet another tinamp, I figured I could put something small on a circuit board and squeeze it into an altoids tin. The final result was a pretty superb sounding chipamp which uses a split supply, dual opa buffered VG, aph47 type dual opamp per channel and simple diamond buffer within the FB loop. I liked it so much that I built myself one while waiting on Uncle Phil's LisaIII to see the light of day...this madness never stops
cool.gif
..dB

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #1,634 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee
I just finished building this for a friend.

Nice! Can I be your friend
wink.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #1,635 of 9,811
Here's the PPA I built. Tested it today in the USAFA electronics lab, and sound is good. Specs are Class-A bias of 1.2mA per opamp, 15mA bias per buffer, Vishay-Dale RN60 resistors (ordered the wrong ones, but I made them fit neatly), 6 Elna Silmic II 330uF/35V on primary power rails, 2 100uF/35V Elna Cerafines per opamp rail, and BD139/BD140 output transistors. PSU is a fully populated STEPs with a 25VA toroidal transformer and LM338 regulator. It even has a nifty VU meter (It's upside down in the pics). VU meter schematic is from Elliot Sound Products. The board design is my own.

z61875958.jpg

z61875924.jpg

z61875921.jpg

z61875938.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back