Post pics of your builds....
Oct 28, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #1,576 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by was ist los?
An Alien dac built on a protoboard in an Altoids chewing gum case. It was quite a squeeze to build. I've also got a copper plate ground plane on the bottom and i'm considering squeezing a 74HCU04 amp in that extra space.

"Quite a squeeze" is an understatement! Nice work.

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #1,577 of 9,811
Hmm, interesting Alien was.
Maybe you can try the PCB this time
orphsmile.gif

Oct 28, 2006 at 7:21 AM Post #1,579 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak
Pic of my first amp. A scaled down version (per Marcello Pellerano) of a Zen. Solid red oak with highly polished aluminum accents. Matched 610 MOSFETS, Vishay resistors, Cerafine/Nichicon Fine Gold caps, teflon coated silver wire (Wellborne Labs), Alps "blackbeauty" pot (buttery smooth
wink.gif
), custom 2 inch aluminum knob with LED, all stainless steel hardware, Neutrik output, Cardas inputs and an Amveco power supply for each channel. Sorry for lousy pic, done with friends cell phone and the inside shots didn't come out. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue sounds like heaven through Grado 225's.
eggosmile.gif

1022061522ya6.jpg

Very nice use of the Aluminm. Has given me a really good idea for using the Aluminum L channel they sell at the hardware store.. Hope you dont mind if i steal the idea sometime down the road
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #1,581 of 9,811
Congrats on the first build.
I hardly see them in Penguin tins. I hardly see those kinds of slider switches too. How about quick shots of the inside?

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #1,582 of 9,811
I think most people are too lazy to cut a hole to use a slider switch, than just drill a single hole and stick a regular toggle switch in.
tongue.gif

Looks nice and professional that way though, you barely even notice the jacks and switch.

Oct 29, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #1,583 of 9,811
Here's the inside. Pretty messy.

17xr6.jpg

This is the electronics before I put it in the tin. I haven't cut down the prototype board yet, and the opamp isn't in yet either.
09mu0.jpg

Cutting out the hole for the slider switch was a pain in the arse, and I kind of messed it up. Note how my photos don't really show the slider switch :p

If I build another one, I'll definitely stick to a toggle switch.
I'll move the pot down to the side too; once I plug things into the input and output jack, the cables do get in the way of turning the pot.

Nov 1, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #1,584 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Haoleb
Very nice use of the Aluminm. Has given me a really good idea for using the Aluminum L channel they sell at the hardware store.. Hope you dont mind if i steal the idea sometime down the road
biggrin.gif

Don't mind at all! After all, capitalization is the name of the game.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #1,589 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronstah
Hi again!
My PIMETA is up and running! Lot's of time spent making the cases but the result was worth it, i guess
smily_headphones1.gif

I know what you mean. Every custom idea I had in regards to my case has been a challenge. I'm getting them to work one by one, but the time factor is enormous.

A nice look you've got there. Good job!

Nov 4, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #1,590 of 9,811
Got bored, had a Hammond 801C lying around.. so I decided to make this beast using a bandsaw or two..

Picture059.jpg

Picture060.jpg

This is a repost of that which is posted on the PPAS build thread..

It charges off of 9v batteries and 12v wallwarts, and runs for about 24 hours.
Heh. I think I have about 4cm^3 worth of volume left in there.. everything is jammed together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back