Post pics of your builds....
Jun 23, 2006 at 11:09 AM Post #1,276 of 9,811
Oh yes. I do recall Kevin having something of this nature implemented at his service entrance! Typical hardcore stuff for him... impressive to say the least. The toroid was gigantic.

It's a nice looking project, and I'll bet it works well.

I made a MUCH smaller isolation box for my transport using a Triad isoalation transformer. It's quite small by comparison, not suitable for an amp of any great power requirement.

Jun 23, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #1,277 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
I'de like to build one, once I get the reassurance of my soldering skill, and get pass the fear of working with 120V of electricity.
tongue.gif

Yes, you will want to be well past the fear of working with mains current. And not through lack of fear, but through full understanding of it's potential to ruin both your gear and your cardiac functionality. It's not overwhelming, but it does demand absolute respect, as it is typically unforgiving if you test it's potential to finish you off.

Jun 23, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #1,278 of 9,811
Any comments on this:

"Some might wish to use toroidal transformers instead of the recommended E-I core style transformers. DON'T! Toroidal transformers tightly couple the AC line to the secondary in a wideband manner, This means that more noise, not less, will get through to the secondary windings. Also, toroids tend to saturate much more abruptly than E-I core transformers, and need to be over rated by a much larger factor to avoid compressing the dynamic range of a power amp or other electronics."

[Taken from the second link that Yikes posted]

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #1,279 of 9,811
I read that as well. I think that it isn’t as cut and dry as the author claims. In my experience designing anything is an exercise in trade offs. The person who spec’d my transformer does know about such things and he chose this Toroid.

Maybe tonight I’ll post that link elsewhere
icon10.gif
so that I can get KG thoughts on the matter.

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #1,280 of 9,811
Here is my PIMETA in it's temporary casing and with temporary wiring, i think it turned out decently.
It's going to stay this way til my new casing/cabling arrives.
I used AD843 opamps for it.

amp3.jpg

amp4.jpg

Jun 27, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #1,281 of 9,811
Ok, here is something different. I have put new pickups in my Les Paul. In the neck, I have a DiMarzio FRED and in the bridge I have a Seymour Duncan TB-10 Full Shred.

and of course, the guts:

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #1,284 of 9,811
Yep, and thanks skyline889. I just was too excited to punch the holes in the cover once I finished it!
icon10.gif
I'll try to get that done this weekend. Also I'm playing around a little with bypass caps on the PS and output caps so no need for the cover yet. I have some Solens I'm going to try.

Jun 30, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #1,285 of 9,811
Currently halfway creating a Frankengrado.
It was a SR-60 with a dead driver. It's currently sporting Phillips drivers, which, in the original Grado housing, sounds surprisingly good. I'll be trying various drivers though, any recomendations?
Anyways, some work in progress shots:

Isolation tape around the housing is great, it'll keep the housing together tightly but still be easy to take apart when needed.

Needs lots of bondo and paint.
smily_headphones1.gif

It'll become all black, with a metal grill instead of the SR-60's plastic one.
More here: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=187286

Jul 1, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #1,287 of 9,811
IMG_1404.jpg

IMG_1406.jpg

These grados aren't floating:
IMG_1407.jpg

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #1,290 of 9,811
Correct, it is an Epsilon 12. The MOSFETs are biased pretty low so it doesn't get hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back