Post pics of your builds....
Feb 1, 2005 at 2:10 PM Post #271 of 9,811
XLR jacks are okay for power, but do be sure to orient the gender properly so you don't have a male plug with hot pins sticking out to short on anything.

Feb 1, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #273 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by JHouser
Are you referring to the XLR Power umbilical? What do you think is unsafe about it? If the other side had balanced XLR outs that would be a bit sketchy. I don’t have anything that I uses XLR other than power, so it does not seem like an issue to me. Is XLR unfit or unsafe to run 24VDC?

Oops, I didn't look close enough. I thought that it was the straight AC.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe I need to wear my glasses more often. Sorry for the criticism.

Feb 1, 2005 at 6:40 PM Post #274 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
Oops, I didn't look close enough. I thought that it was the straight AC.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe I need to wear my glasses more often. Sorry for the criticism.

OY! That would be a smoke show!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoochile
XLR jacks are okay for power, but do be sure to orient the gender properly so you don't have a male plug with hot pins sticking out to short on anything.

Yea, I thought i did that but after looking closer then realized that both my PPA and PS have females. So the XLR on my ps when plugged in is male. I guess ill order place an order for a female line and a male panel. That should make everything safe. Thanks for bringing that to my attention!! 24V on the pinkie wont kill me but dosn't sound like a kiss to the cheek either!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #275 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Just another Pimeta.

Yeah, me too.
smily_headphones1.gif

gray-clear-1.1-with-ipod.jpg

It's in black and white, it must be Aaaaaart.
biggrin.gif

It's the first I've seen to use PIMETA v1.1's ALPS RK09x pot pads. This gives the centered knob, and it includes a power switch so the front panel is cleaner. It shortened the build time, too.

It's one of the few I've seen to use the expensive ($3.69) CUI Stack jack (Digi-Key CP-43502PM). I expect long life out of these guys.

The dime glued to the inside of the case makes the LED light up the inside of the amp rather than shine in your eyeball. I'm not wild about the esthetic, so I may change that aspect.

Lovin' my new iPod Photo 60GB, too! This little dude thumps! Watch for-sale forum for my PJB-100 setup.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #277 of 9,811
That's nice looking, Tangent. The switched pot does make it nicer- not only is the panel cleaner, but good looking tiny switches are scarce. What op-amps did you choose?

If you want to ditch the dime, you might consider gluing a single silver sequin to the top of the LED. You could test it with some (kids) glue stick, or even chap stick. Have it cup-side up, like a birdbath, so the bottom acts like a convex reflector.
No, I've never tried it
biggrin.gif

Another thought would be to trim a small piece of dynamat to replace the dime. Smaller in diameter, shiny foil on the underside, and black on the side facing the case lid.

Feb 2, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #278 of 9,811
Nice job Tangent. You're not the first to build a Pimeta with the RK09, but you're the first one to post pics
wink.gif
(I just took pics of mine yesterday and they are on my home computer so I can't post them until later today
biggrin.gif
) Another idea for the LED (and the one I have used) is to use an SMD-LED instead. These have a wider viewing angle, so they light up the case better. A 0805 fits beautifully across the existing LED pads
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

EDIT: Hadn't seen Mr. X post. Looks like I wasn't first either
tongue.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #279 of 9,811
My take on the Pimeta-in-translucent-H65
biggrin.gif
As mentioned in my last post, the LED is a high-bright blue 0805 from www.lsdiodes.com which gives better illumination of the case due to the wider viewing angle of SMD-LEDs. I've used switchcraft jacks for input/output and a 2.5mm jack for DC-in. The input is on the right because this is intended for use with an ibook which has its output on the left
smily_headphones1.gif

The pics:
pimeta3a.jpg

pimeta3b.jpg

pimeta3c.jpg

pimeta3d.jpg

pimeta3e.jpg

pimeta3f.jpg

/U.

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #280 of 9,811
Nice work Nisbeth...
I like the way the knob sits higher up on the front of the case like that.
Did you do that on purpose or?
very_evil_smiley.gif

It's kinda ironic cause I was working on this amp when Tangent posted his--->

Edit: Pics removed

The use of dry transfers to label the IO jacks was a natural.

My props to you Warren... the addition of the alps switched pot lends a much more polished feel to the amp when you the Serpac case.
smily_headphones1.gif

Not to mention they tracks better then the EVJ's do.

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #281 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX
I like the way the knob sits higher up on the front of the case like that.
Did you do that on purpose or?
very_evil_smiley.gif

You obviously have no idea how much planning went into that little detail
rolleyes.gif
Seriously, I don't think it matters because it makes it easier to position the amp the right side up
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #283 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
Now, if only we had pads so we could board mount 1/8" I/O jacks.....tangent?
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks thrice
smily_headphones1.gif
IMO, board-mounted jacks are good right up until you have to fit the pcb in the case, then it is an absolute PITA, because you have to drill everything absolutely perfect
frown.gif

/U.

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #284 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nisbeth
You obviously have no idea how much planning went into that little detail
rolleyes.gif

lol, smart a**

Quote:

Seriously, I don't think it matters because it makes it easier to position the amp the right side up
smily_headphones1.gif

Agreed... that is what I like about it.
It doesn't look the same from both sides so you are not turning the knob the wrong way and blasting the volume

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice
MisterX: Yeah the new pads for this pot/switch combo make things a lot easier to layout in the Serpac cases.

Yes sir it does.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a bunch for doing the grunt work on that whole deal.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:01 PM Post #285 of 9,811
Quote:

Thanks thrice
smily_headphones1.gif
IMO, board-mounted jacks are good right up until you have to fit the pcb in the case, then it is an absolute PITA, because you have to drill everything absolutely perfect
frown.gif

/U.

Yeah that's true, plus there really isn't any room on the PCB for them (or at least it would be awkward to try to put them there).

I like the SM diodes...I too order from LSDiodes...Robots will kill you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back