Post pics of your builds....
Jan 27, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #256 of 9,811
Very nice!
biggrin.gif
Looks like a fun little amp to build, I'm glad it sounds so good!

Well done!
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #257 of 9,811
Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Apparently one of the amps Sijosae built cost him, in Korea, $16 USD!
Headwize is down right now (bandwidth exceeded..), but it was a really cool thread.

I hope this amp becomes popular, because I think it''s really innovative, and I would reccomend it to any diy newbies

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #258 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by eric.w
Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Apparently one of the amps Sijosae built cost him, in Korea, $16 USD!
Headwize is down right now (bandwidth exceeded..), but it was a really cool thread.

I hope this amp becomes popular, because I think it''s really innovative, and I would reccomend it to any diy newbies

Wow, sounds cool, will have to check it out when headwize is back.

Jan 28, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #262 of 9,811
Well.. my gilmore is DIY.. so it doesn't really fit under one of the lite/v1/v2 categories, but it does have Gilmore's PSU so it would be close to a V1 I guess.

As for the comment that i like the tube amp better than my gilmore, I should explain.

My personal preference in sound is a bit warm, deep bass, clear but not bright, and big soundstage. Any difference between amps I find pretty subtle, and I haven't heard any other than my own, but I think I could hear that the gilmore was very revealing of the CD I was listening to. It did have very tight, deep bass, everything was perfectly clear. Quite a few of my CDs sound harsh or compressed through it, because that's what was on the CD.

My impressions after a day and a half are: the mini tube amp is a tad more relaxed sounding, probably more "colored", slightly less defined bass.. but it has a really natural quality that I like. So for me, the tube amp's more fun to listen to, and plus, it looks cooler
600smile.gif

Nisbeth: hope you enjoy it! Are you doing a PCB, or point to point wiring? It was my first point to point, hence the mess underneath, but for a simple circuit like this, it worked well. Everything worked on the first try!

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #264 of 9,811
i finally put my mint in the case tonight! it's up and running perfectly. this is my 2nd diy.. the first was a practice cmoy that was never completed, just made sure that the circuit could come to life before i did my mint.
etysmile.gif

case.jpg

guts.jpg

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #265 of 9,811
I'm still deciding on how i'm going to do the faceplates. BTW, Eric, where did you get the knob for your mini-tube? I love those. Thanks to everyone for helping me on my 2nd project!

ppa1.jpg
ppa2.jpg
ppa3.jpg

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #266 of 9,811
hahahah that's actually really funny JHouser because that is exactly where i am right now......

finished my Steps and PPA last week and i have it sitting open exactly like you have it without the front faceplate and with the jack out wired up and my HP-1's connected to it........

only difference is your black hammond enclosure and i got a silver one..... i am probably gonna go by my dad's place of work to drill out the faceplate on the drill press there.

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #267 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by intlplby
hahahah that's actually really funny JHouser because that is exactly where i am right now......

finished my Steps and PPA last week and i have it sitting open exactly like you have it without the front faceplate and with the jack out wired up and my HP-1's connected to it........

only difference is your black hammond enclosure and i got a silver one..... i am probably gonna go by my dad's place of work to drill out the faceplate on the drill press there.

Hmm.. Drillpress acesss... I think I'm going to go the FPE route. They are located 5 minutes away from me so i might head down tomorrow and see some of their stuff. I've lost track of how much i've spent on this thing so what's another $50?
icon10.gif
I used the wire from the silver GB. I'm really happy with it. It's easy to work with and i like that it is a bit thinner so if i need to i can just string 3 together. Looks pretty to!! I ordered 150 feet of it and i'm already worried about not having enough for my Interconnects and my Dynahi. I wouldn't suppose you would be interested leading another Group buy? I'm sure the wounds on your hands have healed by now
eek.gif
Good luck on your faceplates. Keep me posted.

J-

Feb 1, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #268 of 9,811
i was looking into organining another one to do last month, but when i made the decision to move to China on February 24th that idea went out the window..... i can still get the same price for future purchases, but someone else would have to organize the buy and wrap and ship everything...... i'm more than willing to go through as a middle man just to ensure getting the same purchase price per roll

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #270 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk
Am I the only one that thinks this might not be a good idea?

Are you referring to the XLR Power umbilical? What do you think is unsafe about it? If the other side had balanced XLR outs that would be a bit sketchy. I don’t have anything that I uses XLR other than power, so it does not seem like an issue to me. Is XLR unfit or unsafe to run 24VDC?

EDIT : I guess 4 pin XLR might be a better choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back