Post pics of your builds....
Dec 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #9,481 of 9,811
Very nice actually, the customization really helps, I can use my studio V and my DX50 with it and it drives my UE7's, PS500, HD800's just fine.  Only issue is that the switches for gain, input impedance, crossover, and output impedance are inside and require me to take it apart to get at them.  Will be looking into maybe putting and access hole with a cover on it.

It might jus get dedicated to a certain setup soon as I just order a UHA760.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #9,483 of 9,811
I'd like to know a paint (no powder coat or resort to professional air brush/spray painting services) that is tough to withstand dirty fingers and abrasive materials or the ability to not scuff up easily (gloss black under the sun light). 

The gloss requirement is the tough part. Otherwise, the material used to spray truck bedliners would meet your requirements. I've seen a fellow member use it on a set of speakers and I thought it turned out great. Looked good and is durable beyond belief.

Jan 2, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #9,485 of 9,811
I found a few 19J6 tubes in my stash and realized the I needed to build something with them...So, I etched myself a board and started this amp. I'm waiting on my parts from Mouser, and I need to find some decent standoffs...I will post some pictures of the finished amp soon...

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #9,487 of 9,811
Ya can't wait to see the outcome.  

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #9,488 of 9,811
  I found a few 19J6 tubes in my stash and realized the I needed to build something with them...So, I etched myself a board and started this amp. I'm waiting on my parts from Mouser, and I need to find some decent standoffs...I will post some pictures of the finished amp soon...

Triangles!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 5, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #9,493 of 9,811
@vixr - really cool stuff! Someday in the near to distant future when I have my small shop up and running I'd like try my hand at etching PCBs.

@shipsupt - that is one cool combo drill press / milling machine. I'm in the market for a drill press and haven't settled on anything yet. Should I take the plunge and go for a combo unit like that?

Jan 6, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #9,494 of 9,811
Here's my latest audio project:

It's a SSMH based on Fred_fred's board, and Sylvania 12au7's. Sorry about my super-messy desk :wink: The bread-board enclosure is just a temporary home until I can make up a metal case for it, but I kind of like the super basic look for now... I've buffed the markings off the tubes, as they looked kinda crappy and had half worn off in storage for who knows how many years.

It sounds very "tubey" which is nice on occasion, and for certain material, I'm currently using it as a preamp in my pc audio system, more than for my headphones, as my phones don't need to get any more muddy than they already are! It really does give the speakers I'm using a really nice glow, but the sound definitely isn't for every track, nor movies or games particularly. Either way, it's been an interesting foray into tube audio, I'm very interested in trying again, but with a "real" amp, running a few hundred volts rather than the 48 this one is on.

I have noticed a difference in the gain level per channel, would this be based on the beta of the tubes themselves, or could I maybe adjust some resistors to even it out?

Jan 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #9,495 of 9,811

@shipsupt - that is one cool combo drill press / milling machine. I'm in the market for a drill press and haven't settled on anything yet. Should I take the plunge and go for a combo unit like that?

It's just a very basic mini-mill, also often called a hobby-mill.  It's useful if you take your time with your work, but everything is manual and you need to be careful to accomplish accurate work when it's needed.  Your work area is also somewhat limited, but I've yet to find an audio project that I can't get in there somehow.  It gives you a lot more options than a drill press, but I have the advantage of some formal machinist training and work from early in my career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back