Post pics of your builds....
Nov 19, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #9,436 of 9,811
My first beta 22 build.  I am so happy and I think lucky that everything worked the first time I plugged it in.  So glad I didn't have to trouble shoot.  

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #9,438 of 9,811
  Did you mount everything to the top cover of the chassis?

top or bottom, I am not sure but it had more vent holes so it was a bit easier to work with.  

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #9,439 of 9,811
Does anyone have a design recommendation for a high pass filter?

I put in a sub that I had doing nothing.  I cabled it straight off the second RCA's on the Schiit Gungnir DAC.
It works great.  Because I only have 10W max from my 300B, it only required a tiny fraction of volume.  I used FuzzMeasure Pro to capture the room freq levels with the sub and my Thiel CS1.5's  Turns out that 100-120Hz is about right.

The High Pass.  It is my understanding that a filter on the Thiels will make them more efficient.  That would be good for me.

Any input  will be appreciated.  The BLUE is the room without the sub.
The GREEN is after dialing in the volume, freq, and phase of the sub.

EDIT:   Is this just a matter of calculating one resister and one cap?  Where 110Hz is 150 ohm and 10uF ?

Nov 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #9,440 of 9,811
I think that you ideally want to combine both channels and feed the result through a lowpass filter, then have independent high-pass filters for the left and right channels. I think Linkwitz-Riley is now the rolloff of choice, but this is not my area of expertise. I do, however, have a copy of Doug Self's active crossovers book, so I'll have a look. Right now my wife is serving dinner, so I'll get back to you...

A totally passive filter might not be ideal, but it does have the advantage of not needing any power supply.

w

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #9,441 of 9,811
Update.

I'm working with a friends preamp.   There is no question that I need one.
The Thiel's are handling the bass fine from the preamp.

I couldn't get a source file to put the Gungnir over 1 V

Update II.
Bought an Adcom GFP 565 on Audiogon.

Using the Preamp is HUGE.  I have all the power I'll ever need.
I'm getting 1.7V to the amp.
3.7V is clipping.

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #9,442 of 9,811
Here is the mint tangent CMOY I put together for my busy traveling brother for x-mas:

I am also including with it a short 3.5mm cable for his source, some fresh 9V batteries, and two sizes of paired custom silicone wrist bands which are debossed with the words "CMOY AMPLIFIED". I think he will love it! :)

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #9,444 of 9,811
  My build of 12AU7 version of SS. Did not use 12AU7 though... Used GE 5814A to replace. 

Woaaaaaaah, that's friggin awesome! Very creative, and resourceful.

Here is the mint tangent CMOY I put together for my busy traveling brother for x-mas:

I am also including with it a short 3.5mm cable for his source, some fresh 9V batteries, and two sizes of paired custom silicone wrist bands which are debossed with the words "CMOY AMPLIFIED". I think he will love it! :)

Aw, that's nice of you. That looks a lot cleaner than my Tangentsoft CMoy. XD

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #9,446 of 9,811
  A few years ago i went backpacking OS for 12 months.
Not satisfied with my laptop's internal soundcard (no surprise there), i built this.

It has a bit of a nasty power-on surge current which shuts down some USB ports, but with most its ok.
The TA6120a is supplied +-12V rails by two DC-DC converters on the back of the PCB.
Not ideal, but it sounds surprisingly good, is very compact and doesn't require any extra external power supply.

Designed by me. Double sided PCB etched & assembled at home.

Larger PCB photo: http://goo.gl/aDmTqr

I dig this design! I've been thinking about doing something similar myself and I'd love to see more detail on how you put it together.

Is there any chance that you could provide me with schematics/board layout/BOM/anything else of value?

I'd be super appreciative :)

Chris

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #9,447 of 9,811
Recently I did a plastic surgery in one of my projects (the metalic paint was getting blemishes everywhere). I repainted it and did a little trim in the PSU cover and put descent RCA jacks.

Before :

After :

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #9,448 of 9,811
Roberval what amp is this? Looks like a 6DJ8 based amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back