Post pics of your builds....
Aug 5, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #9,228 of 9,811
Quote:
Finished my EHHA Rev. A over the week end.  Sounds greater than great.  Tried a few different tubes and settled on a pair of Amprex 6GM8's.The build was from a Glass Jar Audio kit.  I upgraded a bit with a SumR transformer, some Vampire RCA's and a TKD pot.  Casing is based on a design by Stixx and matches my M3.

A few pics:

I have posted a few mor pictures on the EHHA Rev. A thread.

Thanks for looking
Jim

Looks great! I can't wait to build my EHHA Rev. A. I've wanted to build one for a few years now, but haven't had the desk space for an EHHA. I currently live in a small apt. in NYC. In the next 6 mos. I'll be in a new location so things should drastically change for me in terms of space.

If you don't mind me asking what did it cost to build? I might buy the parts myself via Mouser etc. to lower the cost a little bit. Not sure if doing it this way will contribute to savings vs. buying a kit from Glass Jar. Already have tubes for it so I'll save in that way.

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #9,230 of 9,811
Will do. Perhaps, it's the way to go. I always get bummed when it gets hard to complete a project because of obsolete or hard to find parts.

Aug 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #9,231 of 9,811
Hi All,

By all means, go with the Glass Jar Audio kit.  That's what I used for the most part.  The kit is very inclusive and will build a fine amp.  Indeed, the included tubes sounded the best to my ears. All you need to do is provide the casing and a few hardware items.  I have read more than once that these kits are cheaper than ordering from one of the supply houses. And convenient!

On mine, I did make a few enhancements. I replaced the the pot with a TKD model,  a SumR transformer, used taller heat sinks, gold tube sockets, and a pair of 10,000uF caps in the heater supply.  This added about $200.00 to the cost of the basic amp.  Of the enhancements, definitely use the taller heat sinks (this amp runs hot) and seriously consider the SumR transformer.  Another strong recommendation is to use a pair of AMB's Epsilon 12 muting boards.  About $50.00 for both assembled.  Good insurance!  Also bought some different tubes to roll, but prefer the ones included with the kit.

The biggest expense on this amp was the case.  Around $600.00.  The most expensive part of that was having Front Panel Express mill 4 panels.  That in itself was about $425.00.  I also splurged on 2 pairs of Vampire RCA's. Bear in mind that I was after a certain look.  A very suitable case could be done for much less.  Check out diyaudio.com.  Their store has a variety of quality casing available for much less. 

Soooo, with all that I mentioned, the total cost was about $1300.

As I write this, I am listening to Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" played on two pianos.  Awesome!   You !can not go wrong building this amp.

Jim

Aug 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #9,233 of 9,811
Last shameless pics, I promise.
Took more time with these. 

I better build something else now.

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #9,235 of 9,811
Quote:
My very first humble case build. O2 with SkeletonDAC and selfmade pushon-pushoff circuit.

Nice builds guys....  And what a nice clean integrated O2 build there Vilts.  Just the essentials on the front panel, care to share a shot of the back?

Aug 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #9,240 of 9,811
Hey, thats cute.

Maybe I'll stick my SkeletonDAC under my Bravo.
I wonder what I could call it...?

Quote:
I present the gruBravo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back