Post pics of your builds....
Nov 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #8,851 of 9,811
Woha, did you chose these capacitors because they color match? That would be insane, but totally something I would do. 
biggrin.gif

With a circuit board looking this good, I feel ashamed it gets sealed away in an enclosure. This thing would look amazing with a clear top cover.

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #8,852 of 9,811
Quote:
Woha, did you chose these capacitors because they color match? That would be insane, but totally something I would do. 
biggrin.gif

Nope.  Cobaltmute picked the Panasonic FC's for the best performance in this DAC.  I usually prefer FM's (there's one of those in the middle between the Micas), but their sizes/ratings are very limited compared to FC's.  Plus, the BOM's latest revisions are tailored to Mouser as much as possible.  Panasonic caps are not in the normal catalog listings at Mouser, so availability may be doubly-limited.

But yeah - it's a nice color combo.
wink.gif

Quote:
With a circuit board looking this good, I feel ashamed it gets sealed away in an enclosure. This thing would look amazing with a clear top cover.

I suspect that if you build one, you'll appreciate cobaltmute's design even more.  It's laid out to go fairly easy with SMD hand-soldering for such a comprehensive design.  It's previously been a bit intimidating for me (5 so far), but the key has always been the two PCM chips.  Now with the longer extended pads, placement and soldering is much more forgiving with those chips.  It's straightforward to put together and very satisfying in the end.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, the case adds a nice touch, too.
wink.gif

Nov 17, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #8,854 of 9,811
Actually, they do have both FC and FM series caps. They are just not in the catalog per se.

If you go to the Mouser site and search on 667-EEU-FC and/or 667-EEU-FM you will come across them.

Not sure why they are not in the PDF catalog as they have had them available for quite some time.

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #8,856 of 9,811
Quote:
Desktop Objective2 using spare parts on my workbench:

Wow, that looks really nice! I'm a fan of transparent cases, from calculators to USB flash/hard drives (OWC hard drives for example). I'm thinking of making my own case for the O2 some day when I have the time.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #8,858 of 9,811
Quote:

Nice job.  Laser cutters and press-fit boxes are great :)

Are you noticing any interference being picked up without shielding?

Haha, I was inspired by your build.

Not until I decided to use it with my CIEMs, but even then it's barely audible and only happens sometimes.

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #8,864 of 9,811
I've been using a pair of Creative EP-630s for about 4 years. Last week, the right earpiece stopped working - the conductor had broken at the plug.
The fix was easy (replace the plug) but I decided to spruce them up a bit as well.

I went with a Neutrik plug since I had one on hand, and added a paracord sleeve. I used the rubber cover of the original plug as a stress relief for the Neutrik, which IMHO turned out pretty well.

(original plug on the bottom, dissected to check the wiring).

The Creative logo and the L/R markings on both earpieces were almost completely worn off, so I needed another way to tell the left earpiece from the right.
I found a few colorful rubber rings in a drawer. Some of them fit nicely behind the earbuds, recognizable at a glance, but out of the way.
I used a red one for right and a blue one for left. I feel they also improve the seal a bit, if only by preventing the edge of the earbud from wrinkling.

These rings came in a sample pack, labeled as "Neoprene Rings, 16 Gauge 1/4" ID". Rings like these can be found here.

For the Y junction I used some heatshrink tube, and added a removable clip.

Here they are with my portable setup (iPod Video 5.5G 30GB (running Rockbox) -> Passive Crossfeed Filter (Modified Linkwitz, Low Z version) -> EP-630)

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #8,865 of 9,811
teaser pic of my phono pre build...  I suck at wood work, so this is taking way longer than I had expected.

Currently I'm clamping square posts in the corners to screw the top into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back