Post pics of your builds....
Feb 24, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #4,426 of 9,811
ouch, $7 for those aries sockets. but the red does look good there
wink.gif

re: whitebalance, its one-click. ok, a little more than 1 click but almost. here's the summary (just for you, mate):

3305594784_ceea44e22b_o.gif

3305594564_5a09275810_o.gif

3305594408_bacbe5c337_o.gif

that's the basic idea. I intentionally mis-set the white balance a bit on the green side for the demo photo. I placed a white piece of paper just out of range of the final crop (zoom in, get a feel for what you want to keep in the frame, then zoom out a bit and place the paper JUST out of camera reach but DO include it in the shot).

all photo tools have some kind of levels control and some 'eyedropper' that lets you tell the program what a 'good white' is and also what good 'black' and 'grey' would also be, but I usually just want to tell it what an absolute white is, in my photo, and it will auto-snap the colors to make the white as neutral as possible.

HTH
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #4,427 of 9,811
Here's an example of doing protoboard layout on graphing paper for those interested. I use solid lines for component leads and jumpers, with squiggly lines for the connections underneath the board...

This was the rather rushed one for the PSU in my amp... so please forgive some of the nonsense that's in it. A lot of stuff could be repositioned to make it simpler, but I'm not going to redo it at this point. And yes, the 2nd big filter cap is actually connected, I just forgot to draw it on the layout.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #4,429 of 9,811
FYI - My anti-virus software (NOD32 from ESET) detected the presence of "a variant of Win32/Packed.Themida" when I downloaded the AVSDVDAuthoring.exe file from the link on the page referenced immediately above by "cfcubed"... NOTE: this is NOT the "DIY Layout Creator" download... just a freebie...

I have no idea how serious this is. I'm going to notify the webmaster at the site I downloaded from.

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #4,433 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may warrant a sep thread in DIY, but I did have some fun with DIY Layout Creator early on in CTH prototyping...

I used the java (multi-platform) version for a few hours, it works very well. Still coming up to speed on some features.

Feb 25, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #4,434 of 9,811
I second the DIY Layout Creator, I've been using it for some time its very useful

Feb 26, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #4,436 of 9,811
Someting I've been working on and has come together. Sounds great, but it's no tube amp!

M^3 with OPA637s, Nichicon Muse (sized for driving speakers), mica caps, 36V Sigma11. Ferrari style knob backlighting...
smile.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #4,438 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someting I've been working on and has come together. Sounds great, but it's no tube amp!

not everything has to glow outwardly to sound good. Very clean build and nice finish on the vents ..dB

Feb 26, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #4,439 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

M^3 with OPA637s, Nichicon Muse (sized for driving speakers), mica caps, 36V Sigma11. Ferrari style knob backlighting...
smile.gif

What are those monstrous caps at C1?

And what terminal blocks are you using on the inputs of the amp board? I could never find screw terminals small enough, and really dislike Molex pins......

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #4,440 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are those monstrous caps at C1?

And what terminal blocks are you using on the inputs of the amp board? I could never find screw terminals small enough, and really dislike Molex pins......

For the speaker amp option: "It is also recommended to increase the total C7 rail capacitance to 6000µF..." Those are 1000uF Muses in case I decide to attach speaker terminals...

The connectors are Phoenix #1725656 mouser and newark have them in the states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back