Post pics of your builds....
Sep 16, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #2,507 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^

I fell down from my chair when i saw that.

Awesome!

Thanks a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a slightly modified Buschhorn MKII TB.

I'll have them playing as full ranges for the time being, but I hope to add dual seperate subwoofers in stereo as well as tweeters on top of them. They are of course originally designed as a full range speaker (and sound great as one!), so this will give some trouble with actually making it sound good...

Besides that, I have some nice ideas to do with the enclosure in terms of styling, but that's not very important.

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #2,508 of 9,811
Fantastic horn enclosures digitalmind!

Since we're dealing with wood, here's some pics of my new Chocolate Donut MKII cups. Once the leather earpads arrive these will get put together and sent to Fitz for cables. I'll post some finished pics once they return home.
The wood is East India Rosewood with an 1/8" inlay of Cocobolo.

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #2,509 of 9,811
swt61, just out of curiosity, how much do you charge for a woody donut mod to the beyers, including fritz's cabling?

They sure do look like donuts, haha.
^_^

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #2,510 of 9,811
The Donuts only use Beyer headbands, and the MKII use Beyer leather pads as well, but the drivers aren't Beyer's. They're Yamaha Orthodynamic drivers. HP-1/YH-1 in the Donut, and YH-100 in the higher end Donut MKII. Due to the fact that it takes two headphones to build one, and the labor involved they're not cheap. I'd pit the the MKII's against some pretty heavy hitters though.

Sep 16, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #2,511 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Donuts only use Beyer headbands, and the MKII use Beyer leather pads as well, but the drivers aren't Beyer's. They're Yamaha Orthodynamic drivers. HP-1/YH-1 in the Donut, and YH-100 in the higher end Donut MKII. Due to the fact that it takes two headphones to build one, and the labor involved they're not cheap. I'd pit the the MKII's against some pretty heavy hitters though.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #2,514 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool stands! I like the used look of the woodwork.
Nice amp, applegd!

My latest speakers are coming along nicely, if I may say so myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.iamrik.com/buschhorn/1.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.iamrik.com/buschhorn/2.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.iamrik.com/buschhorn/3.jpg[img][/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

You couldn't cut your panels to the correct angle? Would have been a much nicer

Sep 16, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #2,515 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you're refering to digitalminds enclosures that would really be wasted effort IMO. They're going to be hidden, and I doubt it would have a great effect on the sound.

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #2,516 of 9,811
Just a little something I've been working on for a while. Just got some FPE panels last week so I finally got something that resembles an amp now
icon10.gif

p1010086xj1.jpg

p1010087lr5.jpg

p1010089mp5.jpg

p1010090ei0.jpg

p1010093in3.jpg

p1010097le6.jpg

Lots to do still

Sep 16, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #2,517 of 9,811
Quote:

Waste of time when they're on the inside. Just fill the gaps, smooth, and you're good to go as long as the dimensions are correct.

Digitalmind--have you tried any full rangers in a PAWO design? I heard some of Dave Merrills 4" er's in a PAWO and they sounded very good crossed over to a sub at about 80Hz. I've heard his 5.5" drivers sound even better in this cabinet and really put out a good low end even without the sub addition.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #2,518 of 9,811
Quote:

Just a little something I've been working on for a while. Just got some FPE panels last week so I finally got something that resembles an amp now
icon10.gif

p1010086xj1.jpg

Lots to do still

Nice to see an amp of this calibre in the work
cool.gif
. To minimize magnetic field interference and to avoid the possibly hum problem (as this is an all-in-one enclosure), you might consider a potted and shielded transformer. Hee, don't forget to post the the final results.

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #2,519 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see an amp of this calibre in the work
cool.gif
. To minimize magnetic field interference and to avoid the possibly hum problem (as this is an all-in-one enclosure), you might consider a potted and shielded transformer. Hee, don't forget to post the the final results.

I'll see how it goes and if it's a problem then I'll get my room mate to cut me up some steel to encase it. I've had one side running some phones and rotating the transformer seems to change the hum a bit.

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #2,520 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fantastic horn enclosures digitalmind!

Since we're dealing with wood, here's some pics of my new Chocolate Donut MKII cups. Once the leather earpads arrive these will get put together and sent to Fitz for cables. I'll post some finished pics once they return home.
The wood is East India Rosewood with an 1/8" inlay of Cocobolo.

Thanks.
Those donuts are incredible! Very nice.

Quote:

I could have, but like the others said it's too much of an effort for no improvement. I've filled the gaps and sanded them down (not yet in the pictures). I might round the corners of the inner pieces off, but I doubt this will have an audible effect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waste of time when they're on the inside. Just fill the gaps, smooth, and you're good to go as long as the dimensions are correct.

Digitalmind--have you tried any full rangers in a PAWO design? I heard some of Dave Merrills 4" er's in a PAWO and they sounded very good crossed over to a sub at about 80Hz. I've heard his 5.5" drivers sound even better in this cabinet and really put out a good low end even without the sub addition.

No, I haven't yet. I am interested in building a PAWO though some time. I've really been bitten by the speakerbuilding bug, I already have plenty of schematics for the next speaker. I think I'll build one more speaker with the Tang Band W4-655SA that I now have in three speakers, and then move on to something else once I've gotten the best out of it. A PAWO is definitely a contender.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back