Post pics of your builds....
Aug 26, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #2,431 of 9,811
I finally finished my SOHA, took me about 3 weeks.
The casework started much earlier, since it was firstly meant to become the home of another amp.

Here's the real setup
biggrin.gif
Usually my TV blocks the space where I fotographed the SOHA.

Hope you like it.
The SOHA finally makes my totally happy with my DT880, I won't change anything here the next years (or months
cool.gif
)
Next step will be the acoustic optimization of my room, maybe some speaker upgrade ...

Aug 26, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #2,432 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sathimas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope you like it.

How could we not.
Wood is so lovely and when used as you do it is so beautiful....
These and the woodiefied HF1 above is what i want
wink.gif

/Erik

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #2,433 of 9,811
Looks great Sathimas, the case is really nice.

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #2,436 of 9,811
Finally finished my first Tube (/ Hybrid) project. A p2p SOHA. The housing is wood (from an old Fourplay kit) and silver plated brass.

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Nothing too special inside. Using Musicaps for coupling and OPA551 for the opamp. Also have an EMI filter.

IMG_0382.jpg

After some short rolling, I'm using an RCA Cleartop 12AU7A
IMG_0385.jpg

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #2,437 of 9,811
My new DAC.
84339368.jpg

What is it? It's the world's only (for now?) stand alone Headroom Balanced MAX DAC. The name, "Hertsens Signature DAC" was my idea and is just meant to accomplish two goals, one to give a hint at what's in the box and two to pay a small tribute to a guy that bleeds the headphone hobby.

Now there's a bit of a story behind how this came to be and of course more pictures so bear with me. Around two years ago I started a campaign of giving Tyll a ration of crap every time I talked to him about not building a high-end DAC when they'd already done the hard work and designed one. His response was always the same, "We're not a DAC company" etc, etc. So this winter/spring Headroom announced their plans to build the Ultra Micro and I changed my tune slightly to say that if they'd only build a balanced MAX DAC my source search would be over. In an effort to shut me up Tyll concocted a plan to sell me a balanced MAX DAC module and I could do the rest which meant providing a power supply, wiring and casing it all up, etc. So I called up Jamey and we set the wheels in motion.

The DAC uses amb's sigma22 for the power supply pumping out a super clean +/- 12V, a custom daughter board (designed by me) and will eventually be configured with a front panel input switch allowing me to switch between two coax sources which are my DIY transport and my Squeezebox3. I was originally thinking of retaining the USB input but this thing sounds so good it's never coming out of my main rig. But enough of my blabbering, MORE PICS!

82989925.jpg

82989933.jpg

82989939.jpg

Those images were taken during construction and I've still got some details to wrap up before I take the final glamor shots. The parts necessary to take care of that should be in before the end of the week.
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:52 AM Post #2,442 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a one time project, or possibility of pcbs being made?

As far as I've been told this is pretty much a one time thing. If your rig is single ended you certainly have the option of buying the Ultra Micro DAC, which is essentially half of the DAC circuit that I used and retains all 3 digital inputs. I can tell you that so far my hope that source search would end here is coming true. I listened to some pretty high-end rigs this past weekend and didn't find mine lacking in comparison.
cool.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #2,443 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I've been told this is pretty much a one time thing. If your rig is single ended you certainly have the option of buying the Ultra Micro DAC, which is essentially half of the DAC circuit that I used and retains all 3 digital inputs. I can tell you that so far my hope that source search would end here is coming true. I listened to some pretty high-end rigs this past weekend and didn't find mine lacking in comparison.
cool.gif

Actually, I've got a balanced DAC in the works! Not my own design, but it hasn't been seen on this forum as of yet. I will post somewhat soon...

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #2,444 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I've got a balanced DAC in the works! Not my own design, but it hasn't been seen on this forum as of yet. I will post somewhat soon...

Looking forward to it!

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #2,445 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new DAC.
biggrin.gif

/bhjazz faints

Nate, what can I say...while I'm here fiddling with lighting design for my CK2III, you're doing some very serious heavy lifting for our community. Amazing.

/bows

Users who are viewing this thread

Back