Post pics of your builds....
May 7, 2007 at 12:44 PM Post #2,071 of 9,811
Here's my new M^3. Very unspectacular casing in the ubiquitous all black Hammond. I'll have to start getting more creative on the casing.

The component list is fairly standard with the exception of the Electrolytic caps which are Elna Silmic (330uf) and Nichicon Muse KZ (100uf)

I thought that I had made a mistake with the Elna caps. Because of their size I could only fit 6 x 330uf (total of 1980uf). I contacted AMB who assured me that it would be fine. After this I noticed that the schematic actually lists 2000uf for C7. So it was all good.

The M^3 certainly sounds the business.

Prior to this build I had built up a Pimeta, Steps and a couple of CMoys.

m32co9.jpg

m33hy2.jpg

m35ka6.jpg

May 7, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #2,072 of 9,811
Simplicity can be very elegant, and your M3 is that, Fordgtlover.

Question - it looks like you drilled cooling holes in the side. I've always wanted to do that. Can you tell us how many and how big? I suppose that combined with the case lid contacting the heat sinks makes thing pretty cool.

May 8, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #2,075 of 9,811
Here are a couple of the vent holes. Since taking these shots I have spray painted the inside of the case, which leaves a much neater tiny silver ring around the outside edge of each hole. I'll post the last picture tomorrow.

If I decide that the little silver ring is still no good, I'll try the sharpie idea - thanks for that.

m36yl0.jpg

m37db4.jpg

As Tomb noted, my case lid comes actually comes in contact with the heatsinks. This means that the whole case now dissipates heat. This, in combination with the vent holes, means that the case of my M^3 runs only slightly warm to the touch.

Thanks to Tomb for the very kind words regarding the elegance of my build.

Meanwhile, I need to find my next project. That is until the eagerly awaited Millett Hybrid MAX becomes available.

May 9, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #2,078 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
echelon, that is simply stunning!!

where did you get such amazing case?

I'm glad you like it! I did a lot of the layout, but I can't take much credit for the case since my father did all the construction and staining. As you might have noticed, he had to do a lot of recessing, because all the panel mount components were designed for thinner walls.

May 11, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #2,079 of 9,811
DIY Headphone Stand...

I built this for shop class, so most of this stuff was found around the shop. the base is 4" diameter, 1" thick stainless steel(S.S.). in the middle, a .5" hole was drilled and tapped all the way through. then a 10" S.S. rod was cut (.5" in dia) and threaded. i milled a flat spot on the top 1/8" deep, 1/2" down. i drilled a 7/32" hole (IIRC) in the middle of that flat section and stuck a hook (from home depot, the one thats 67 cents and has a yellow coating) in there, and since it had a wood thread on it, i trimmed it and epoxied it in.

Pics:

(dont mind the mess, i just did some rearranging and have yet to run wires)

4uxgo3n.jpg

my diy A47 amp to the left of my laptop
smily_headphones1.gif

63v38nk.jpg

5ywi89j.jpg

edit: hook might look crooked, but its just the pic angle, same with the headphones

May 12, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #2,080 of 9,811
Finally got my alien dac cased

here is the before shot
adac_2.jpg

the after shots
adac_3.jpg

adac_4.jpg

adac_5.jpg

The only tough part was trying to dremel and file out the usb on the back. Not perfect, but it works.

May 13, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #2,082 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by fordgtlover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are a couple of the vent holes. Since taking these shots I have spray painted the inside of the case, which leaves a much neater tiny silver ring around the outside edge of each hole. I'll post the last picture tomorrow.

If I decide that the little silver ring is still no good, I'll try the sharpie idea - thanks for that.

As Tomb noted, my case lid comes actually comes in contact with the heatsinks. This means that the whole case now dissipates heat. This, in combination with the vent holes, means that the case of my M^3 runs only slightly warm to the touch.

Thanks to Tomb for the very kind words regarding the elegance of my build.

Meanwhile, I need to find my next project. That is until the eagerly awaited Millett Hybrid MAX becomes available.

Nice touch, Fordgtlover. I like the varying size of the holes - pretty cool - literally and figuratively. I don't think the silver looks bad at all. It probably shows up a lot more under camera flash. I'm going to try something like that on the Max (and my M3 if I ever get around to building it).

May 14, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #2,083 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by TzeYang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
echelon, that is simply stunning!!

where did you get such amazing case?

looks gorgeous echelon. Also, where did you get those knobs they look great !

May 14, 2007 at 11:56 AM Post #2,084 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks gorgeous echelon. Also, where did you get those knobs they look great !

I got the knobs from vt4c.com; they're located in China, so be prepared for expensive and slow shipping.

May 14, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #2,085 of 9,811
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got the knobs from vt4c.com; they're located in China, so be prepared for expensive and slow shipping.

Expensive and slow?

Ok, it isnt domestic trade, but around one week and 10$ usd shipping (mine were pots and tube protectors etc.) isnt expensive nor slow. IMO. I think that's pretty reasonable. Here within Finland it will propably cost the same, and the travel distance is hundreds of kilometers, not thousands...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back