Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Nov 11, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #4,186 of 5,378
You may get quicker help here:  http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #4,187 of 5,378
  You may get quicker help here:  http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/vinyl/bbs.html

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try over there.

Nov 11, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #4,188 of 5,378
  Hey everyone, I posted this over at the Turntable Setup thread since I wasn't aware of this thread, but I figure it's more appropriate here. I'm trying to identify a tonearm I found in a box today in a storage unit; does anybody know what make/model this is?

It's a naked Syntec S-220

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #4,189 of 5,378

It's a naked Syntec S-220

Yeah, I eventually happened across a picture of one while digging through a bunch of blind Google searches. It seems like it would be easy to find parts if I was in Australia (where they were apparently popular as part of package deals for radio stations buying PL-10s), but I'm pretty much out of luck locating the counterweights/side weights and the mounting equipment here in the U.S.

If anybody in Australia (or elsewhere) happens to have an old one of these lying around, I would love to talk to you about buying some parts.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #4,190 of 5,378
Well I recieved my Thorens td124 today but cannot upload a photo from my iPhone! Came with Akito and AT cart. Going to be replaced with EMT 929 and would welcome cartridge suggestions? A fan of Lyra...might even splash out on EMT's new headshell and onenifntheir new cartridges! :)

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #4,191 of 5,378
Congrats and would love to see some pics! 

Cant help you with the cartridge rec so good luck with that.

Nov 18, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #4,193 of 5,378
Nice, and, arty.
smile.gif

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #4,194 of 5,378
Yeah I'm going for the big reveal when the 929's fitted with a trendy cartridge! I love this thread you can open any page and get great images/vinyl.

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #4,195 of 5,378
Well I recieved my Thorens td124 today but cannot upload a photo from my iPhone! Came with Akito and AT cart. Going to be replaced with EMT 929 and would welcome cartridge suggestions? A fan of Lyra...might even splash out on EMT's new headshell and onenifntheir new cartridges!
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmm - EMT929 is quite a high effective mass tonearm, I am afraid on the high end of what a Lyra cart might still be comfortable with. Perhaps with one of the
ever_more_elusive_low_mass_headshells - which are getting REALLY hard to obtain in recent years. 

A great resource on EMT, Thorens, etc is this : http://www.stefanopasini.it/Audio_index_Main.htm

With this kind of "heavy metal", besides EMT's own models ( and myriad of EMT modded carts ), Ortofon SPU, Ikeda ( particularly cantileverless models ), etc, spring to mind.

I am generally not fan of Linn - but their arms do stand above the rest of their production. I have a particularly soft spot for the Ittok - a GREAT arm for - MMs !

Nov 22, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #4,197 of 5,378
I've recently got into vinyl with headphone.
TT>schiit mani>Audio gd compass 2 dac/amp

I'm having an issue with the constant buzzing noise when using headphone with it, even when just connected to, but nothing is playing.
It's the same kind of buzzing sound when a sensitive headphone is plugged into a high output amp (definitely not humming noise from earth cable).
Same buzzing sound is not there when running just dac/amp using computer as source.

Is this normal? TT analog signals are just more sensitive than USB digital audio?
Will the nose floor be better if I were to use high impedance headphones? (current headphone are all <50ohms)
Or are TT not suitable for headphones and i'll have to get stereo speakers to have a better noise floor?

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #4,198 of 5,378
Might be something wrong with your turntable's grounding. Does it have a separate ground cable or does it only have an RCA phono cable? I had the Rega RP1 and it had the grounding buzzing issue too.

Low sensitivity and high impedance would help lower the noise floor, but try checking the grounding first. Does the noise change when you touch the tonearm?

Nov 22, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #4,199 of 5,378
Might be something wrong with your turntable's grounding. Does it have a separate ground cable or does it only have an RCA phono cable? I had the Rega RP1 and it had the grounding buzzing issue too.

Low sensitivity and high impedance would help lower the noise floor, but try checking the grounding first. Does the noise change when you touch the tonearm?

The RCA cable connected between TT and phono has a grounding cable attached to it, its a cable with 3 ends, red, white, and grounding.
No noise change when i touches the tonearm.
There's a distinct hum when i remove the grounding from 1 end, and gone when connected, so i guess it isn't the grounding?

I only have a low sensitivity and low impedance (HE560) and high sensitivity and low impedance (ad2000), the he560 definitely has a better noise floor.
It's still distinct enough to hear buzzing with he560 in some songs with quiet passage.

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #4,200 of 5,378
Greeting from Buda, Texas (just S of Austin). Here's an image of my LP12. It's pretty well decked out and sports a top line Linn Akiva MC cartridge. 

[url=http://1drv.ms/1P1MtU9]http://1drv.ms/1P1MtU9[/url]/[img]

Sorry, my acct level does not allow posting pictures yet apparently. 

I use a Naim Stageline phono pre with it. Highly recommended.

I bought my first LP12 with Naim NAC42.5 pre and NAP140 amp in ~ 1984. Used Linn Kan speakers for a long time with that system as well. Very enjoyable.

It's pretty cool that analog is hipster trendy lately of course. But also seeing so much being done ~ wrong is disturbing to an old school aficionado like myself ;)

TurboTR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back