Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Nov 23, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #4,216 of 5,380
Yeah, I had read nothing particularly wonderful about Rega cartridges.  That's why I went straight to the 2M Black. I've had Ortofons over the years and felt comfortable with them.  I have no regrets.

I know nothing about dust.  Very early on, I went with after market everything (GrooveTracer) and I don't use a mat.

Very happy.

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #4,217 of 5,380
  Lol.. Sure! 

You the man!

Love my BX-300.

Sure! lol..

By strange coinky-dink I too still have a BX-300 and it actually runs :)

T

I had one for about 20 plus years and it finally had a problem.  So, I bought a very slightly used one and it's amazing.  Still bumping live tapes I made with a Sony TC-D5 to ceedee.  Works like a champ.

Nov 28, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #4,218 of 5,380
There's nothing wrong with a mat. The mat doesn't attract dust, static does. And then there's dust and dust; fine dust or fluffy fibres. Like spiders you got to worry about the small ones.

About the residual buzzing on a turntable, it probably is the grounding. But it matters where the grounding is attached on the arm. I modified the grounding on a (not cheap) Project arm that had the wire attached on the arm near the base with a small screw. It was the wrong, to thick, wire interfering with movement. So I replaced it and found a better spot to ground. That totally eliminated all residual hum. So it matters where the arm is grounded. Just experiment to find the best spot.

Nov 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #4,219 of 5,380
My thorens td125mkii rig with sme3009 tone arm playing through a schiit stack and event 20/20 bas v3 speakers

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #4,220 of 5,380
A beautiful classic, hard to beat.

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #4,221 of 5,380
I meant to reply to a post and hit the wrong button....sorry

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #4,222 of 5,380

beerchug.gif
Did you wash it under a tap with clean water when it got ​dirty, or did you throw the instructions away without reading them when you purchased it? This is one of the best stylus cleaners available at any price and if used properly will not damage the stylus and will last for years.
   To clean it you wash it under running water, it will then be as new again.  

Dec 1, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #4,223 of 5,380
beerchug.gif
Quote:

I think it works great. I had another one from a different company for a while but it got hard and wouldn't collect anything. I e-mailed them and told them what happened and that I'd only had it about 3 months and they sent me some new goo but it did the same thing. I think the Onzow is ridiculously priced for what it is but so far it's done the job quite well. 

Did you wash it under a tap with clean water or did you throw the instructions away without reading them? This is one of the best Stylus cleaners available as long as it is used properly and washed under clear cold water regularly.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #4,224 of 5,380
No, not mine....not even close, but just wanted to share the best designed, greatest sounding turntable offered today. Yep, bold statement but it's true!

Here's my favorite ultra high-end nut with his "oh so deliberate" thoughts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYDHnH3FfV4

The TechDas and Walker decks he's talking about in the video are each over $100K too. This makes the Kronos an absolute steal at a measly $38K lol. This guy also had a Onedof a while back too! What a nut!

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #4,226 of 5,380
It looks like a cross between the Clearaudio Master Innovation and the 47-Labs Koma. And the price is that combined as well (meaning they both cost < half). I think with some convincing I could settle for 60kg's of Clearaudio if I really, really had to. :D

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #4,227 of 5,380
Ya I can see it, but different in design from the Clearaudio Master Innovation where the Kronos' second platter is counter-rotating to null the effects of the rotating top platter. Like I said, a stunning achievement and the closest thing to listening to the master tape in vinyl playback today.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #4,228 of 5,380
like I said: a cross between the Clearaudio Master Innovation and the 47-Labs Koma. And some SME for spice. The idea of counter spinning discs is from 47-Labs. It's not like that's an original idea. I wonder if 47-Labs patented that or they could be in for trouble. But it looks like the belt-drive configuration is different. It's a bit of a hodge podge, but a nice one. And if it works who am I to judge?

I found a review that seems to me rather more balanced and down to earth. Positive, but with sidenotes. Not that What Hifi is the be all and end all, but like most English reviews it gives of an unbiased vibe.

Dec 7, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #4,229 of 5,380
Well you definitely know your turntables but your tonearms need some work......Graham Phantom Elite:)) But I shouldn't talk because the Koma is brand new to my brain:)) The rest of this is just a What Hi-Fi? rant not directed towards you at all, so don't feel it's a must read:))

WHF was the first magazine I gravitated to when I got into the hobby, but quickly found them to be heavily biased towards British gear.

Year after year I've seen too many of their "Awards" go to Naim, Cyrus, Roksan, Rega, Cambridge, ATC, PMC, Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, QUAD, Acoustic Energy, Spendor and Atlas and QED cables. Once in a while B&W and NAD would sneak in there. I mean British gear is good and all, but there's nothing better??? That's when I found that they actually are other audio companies in Europe lol, not to mention NA's and Japan's offerings!

Plus, their reviews of ultra high-end gear are so rare that it's hard to put their opinion in context when they haven't heard a TechDas, Continium or Walker table. Not even a SME, Brinkmann or Spiral Groove over the years either! Ridiculous! Their opinion is meaningless to me as I have no idea what they're comparing the Kronos to as a reference.

I'm taking a look right now.....everything I type in comes up empty. No Magico, YG, Rockport, Kharma, Raidho speakers. No Ayre, ModWright, Zesto, Constellation, Devialet 200, PASS Labs, CH Precision, Soulution electronics. What!?!? Not even one of the nearly 100 amazing Audio Note products from their own country? No tremendously valued Wyred 4 Sound products? Can't even be bothered to review the most talked about DAC going today, the Exogal? Oh ya, it's American! lol. Well holy boats, a VPI Prime!...but no Scout, Classic...big surprise.

You kidding me here WHF? Haven't even had a Dynavector cartridge in for review!!! A generic, white-bread, everybody's heard of'em Dyna! It's even worse than I remembered. I say boooo WHF...BOOOOOO!

Sorry for my diatribe, as WHF not being respected as a reputable reviewing magazine is really nothing new. Over the years I've found many non UK based audiophiles reiterating my same sentiments.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #4,230 of 5,380
I agree mostly on what you said about What Hifi. "found them to be heavily biased towards British gear." But have you considered the price premium for imported goods compared to domestic? Look at the N-American prices for European gear, they are >>1.5x the price of the local price. So is US gear over here. So if you compare UK vs USx1.5 it's not very strange that the UK gear wins. Take that product and compare it in a US magazine and its the other way around: compare the 'cheap' UKx1.5 vs the same local US/1.5, the difference is 2.2 times.

And, American mags are even more biased towards US gear at ridiculous prices. I don't even read them anymore. Normally I read HFN&RR or German mags.

I really like the table. But the cost? That makes it quite a niche-product. Sort of a prototype with a few extra. The ideas are nice, but seem like a collection of other peoples good ideas and research. Now making a table great is a mixing and balancing of all ingredients (and spices), so that in itself is quite a feat too.

Oh, and I was referring to the SME turntable suspension, not their arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back