Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable
Nov 23, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #4,201 of 5,378
Very nice!  Rega phono stage!

This might interest you:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/785588/head-fi-austin-january-23-2016

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #4,203 of 5,378
The resolving power of analog, especially on a well engineered tt with a high end MC and good electronics is pretty incredible really. FAR better than the best redbook CD; it can't even come close. Grand Funk red album for example is almost like the band is in the room, literally. Of course the downside is surface noise, etc. I have an ultrasonic cleaner for that too, but it can only do so much.

And it is first and foremost an engineering quest. Dragging a tiny stone through a vinyl trench basically, trying to resolve motion down into the nanometer range. Then amplify that by ~ 1 million X into the motion of the speaker cones. It's rather amazing that it works at all really. Generally speaking of course. 

It's then not hard to see that any spurious movement in that process is detrimental to extracting the signal; it's quite an engineering challenge. Linn for example understood that well back in the 60's/70's though. And the founder was a proud Scottish mechanical engineer :)

It's why they use an expensive, extremely tight tolerance single point thrust bearing for example. Also why they use an AC synchronous motor rather than DC servo (it's smoother). And even that improves by synthesizing the drive waveform (ie Lingo PSU).

It's the mechanical equivalent of maintaining signal in electronics. I've found that microvolts matter electrically in audio; it's not trivial to deal with that. Nor is it trivial to deal with nanometer range of movement.

In a DAC design project recently I found that even 10's of ps of CLK pin jitter can/does make an audible difference. Reducing it from ~ 80ps -> less than 2 ps in this case. It takes awhile to digest that and appreciate why/how (as much as one can anyway). It takes a high resolution system to hear it readily of course. A generic PC based audio system for example, it doesn't matter really. But in a high res system even the wires are audible. Resistors can make almost as big a difference as caps. Etc, etc.

To get it > good takes serious effort. You just can't get anywhere near that with the $200 jobbies at Walmart or your local groovy record store. 

T

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #4,205 of 5,378
  Just sold my ultra mint Technics 1200 MK2 to invest in a belt drive. here goes nothing...

Rots uh ruck!
regular_smile .gif

Never owned a DD, love my belt drive.

Nov 23, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #4,207 of 5,378
to be honest i dont mind not having that ultra perfect pitch all the time :wink:
i would rather have the lusher & imperfect sound of a belt drive.
i got sick of not knowing when i was playing vinyl or a cd.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #4,208 of 5,378
Some weekend fun. RP3 with their Elys and my Traveler and AT440

Into a Schit Mani then Mjolnir then Audeze LCD-2. Japanese pressing of Dark Side of the Moon. Was awesome.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #4,209 of 5,378
It's O.K., you can tell us.

Nov 23, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #4,210 of 5,378
Here's my vinyl spinner; a Clearaudio Concept with a Sumiko Blue Point Special EVO III Cartridge. The table is isolated with 3 Boston Audio Design TuneBlocks.
The sorbothane pucks support the dust cover, since the turntable is elevated by the TuneBlocks.

Nov 23, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #4,211 of 5,378
  to be honest i dont mind not having that ultra perfect pitch all the time :wink:
i would rather have the lusher & imperfect sound of a belt drive.
i got sick of not knowing when i was playing vinyl or a cd.

I've never noticed the belt drive on mine to be too imperfect :wink: 

And imperfect pitch would drive me nuts! Especially if it's wavering, even slightly. I'm very sensitive to it; but not everyone is it seems. 

I once told a (good) local high end audio/service tech place that a very expensive Nak cassette player was slightly slow. They couldn't hear it and insisted it was ok, and I of course could not understand how they could not hear it lol. I persisted and eventually they analyzed and adjusted it- it was in fact running 0.5% slow acc to their instrument :wink:

T

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #4,212 of 5,378
You the man!

Love my BX-300.

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,213 of 5,378
Aww, that's a nice lookin' rig.  Bet it sounds as good as it looks.
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #4,215 of 5,378
  It's O.K., you can tell us.

If you're talking to me, I can quote the RP3 owner.

"It's depressing."

I insisted it's not a table thing, it's a cart thing. Though I admit the amount of dust transferred from his RP3 mat to the records was seriously annoying, the table seemed fine. Looked a little dainty though. He had the speed controller too. The biggest takeaway was how deep the AT440 dug into the grooves. Instantly noticeable. His first reaction was, wow surface noise. Then I was like, wait... Then he was like oh, okay, I get it now. Then I'd say about 20 seconds later he realized the Elys cart ain't all that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back