Portblale Mp3 player for SQ only
Aug 13, 2010 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

aviram84

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. i'm looking for an mp3 player and after reading plenty reviews and forum's threads i'm still confused. i thought about buying the Cowon's D2+ player but still succeeded to find many not-that-good opinions regarding it's sound quality. And that's all i need: Sound Quality. i'm using the in ear klipsch image s4 earbuds if it makes any matter.

i will be satisfied with 8GB but if there is a 16GB version that fits my budget then great. more is useless i think.
video playing: don't need it.
memory ext.: don't need it.
size: i want it to be small, but i won't fight for it.
screen size: i'm good with just seeing the song title and nothing more but of course don't mind if  the screen is bigger.
file types: i do want it to play various file type including lossless formats, but this is just a nice option i would love to have, nothing is MUST.

bottom line: all i want is just an audio player who play music and doing it the best. i want it to be small but of course don't mind buying a big one if the sound quality is worth it.

price? i'm gonna buy it in israel where the Cowon's, Sansa's and iRiver's audio players are selling at a good price (ex: cowon d2+ 8GB at 120$). i guess something around 150$-170$ is my budget for non local sellers.

Thank you very much for reading it, i would much appreciate your help in this issue as i want to buy it till monday.

Aviram.

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 21
Well, I can be the first one, but I may not have the best advice.
wink.gif
  Hopefully others will join in... 

I do not use IEM:s (I prefer portable headphones or ordinary earbuds such as Yuin PK3), so I cannot contribute much on that.

The D2+ is a perfectly good DAP. Like most Cowons it has got a bass roll off that is more noticeable with phones with lower impedance. I have got a Cowon S9 and for instance when I use my Sennheiser PX100 and tweak the EQ (add some extra bass), that bass roll off is not noticeable anymore. Your S4 seem to be at 18ohms and in comparison my PX100 are at 32ohms. I think that you still might get a nice sound with the D2+ with the bass not sounding too "flat", but then you will have to tweak the EQ.
There is also the Sansa Fuze or Clip+. They seem to be well liked and deliver a very good sound for their low price.

At your price range, I would recommend either a D2+ or a Fuze/Clip+. Are there any stores where you can try them out?

That was unfortunately all I could suggest at this moment. However, you might reconsider iRiver since apparently their current players do not sound as good as the older ones.

Aug 14, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 21
Though there are better players, the Cowon D2+ is an excellent player. If you truly want one of the best sounding players, look in to the S:Flo 2/Teclast T51. The 16 GB version is $170. However, my advice is to get an upgrade in your headphones. Assuming your source material is at a high bit-rate, an upgrade in headphones will probably make the biggest SQ upgrade for you. Just get an 8 GB Sansa Clip+ (and a microSD card if you want more memory) and sink the rest of your budget (as well as whatever money you can get for the S4) into getting better IEMs.

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 21
Maybe you could consider something like a Hippo Gumstick? With a Class A amp, which is usually reserved for higher end audio equipment, you can't really go wrong as it costs about $100 or so.

- 4gb with expandable memory slot 
- plays lossless like FLAC, Ogg etc.
- decent battery life
- highly portable

Might want to consider :)

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:
Danneq said:

Well, I can be the first one, but I may not have the best advice.
wink.gif
  Hopefully others will join in... 

I do not use IEM:s (I prefer portable headphones or ordinary earbuds such as Yuin PK3), so I cannot contribute much on that.

The D2+ is a perfectly good DAP. Like most Cowons it has got a bass roll off that is more noticeable with phones with lower impedance. I have got a Cowon S9 and for instance when I use my Sennheiser PX100 and tweak the EQ (add some extra bass), that bass roll off is not noticeable anymore. Your S4 seem to be at 18ohms and in comparison my PX100 are at 32ohms. I think that you still might get a nice sound with the D2+ with the bass not sounding too "flat", but then you will have to tweak the EQ.
There is also the Sansa Fuze or Clip+. They seem to be well liked and deliver a very good sound for their low price.

At your price range, I would recommend either a D2+ or a Fuze/Clip+. Are there any stores where you can try them out?

That was unfortunately all I could suggest at this moment. However, you might reconsider iRiver since apparently their current players do not sound as good as the older ones.

so what you are saying is that there isn't that much difference between the clip+ and the d2?

Quote:
Though there are better players, the Cowon D2+ is an excellent player. If you truly want one of the best sounding players, look in to the S:Flo 2/Teclast T51. The 16 GB version is $170. However, my advice is to get an upgrade in your headphones. Assuming your source material is at a high bit-rate, an upgrade in headphones will probably make the biggest SQ upgrade for you. Just get an 8 GB Sansa Clip+ (and a microSD card if you want more memory) and sink the rest of your budget (as well as whatever money you can get for the S4) into getting better IEMs.

i'm gonna get my s4 tomorrow, so many good reviews on them that says they are compete with other headphones that cost as twice as them. i'm not gonna spend 400$ on headphones and after a very good research i found them to be to best i can buy under 100$.
the S:flo2 sounds great but shipping it to israel is a story of atleast 250$ including taxes. too expensive at the moment.

something about the memory card. is it the same buying 16gb and buying 4gb with 16gb sd card?

Quote:
killz23 said:

Maybe you could consider something like a Hippo Gumstick? With a Class A amp, which is usually reserved for higher end audio equipment, you can't really go wrong as it costs about $100 or so.

- 4gb with expandable memory slot 
- plays lossless like FLAC, Ogg etc.
- decent battery life
- highly portable

Might want to consider :)

i will consider it. thank you very much.

anyway, i'm gonna buy it probably today so i guess i'll decide at the last moment. i can see everyone agrees that the d2+ is a very good player but the only thing that bothers me is his size. do you really think i'll notice the diffrences with the sansa clip+?

thanx again!

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #6 of 21
You will probably be able to tell a difference between the Clip+ and the Cowon D2+, but it will be a very minor difference. If you upgrade your headphones, you will be greeted with a much greater difference.

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
so what you are saying is that there isn't that much difference between the clip+ and the d2?

Except the bass roll off with lower impedance earphones on the D2+ they are pretty much the same (this is without EQ turned on). The EQ of the D2+ is more complex than the EQ of the original firmware on the Clip+. On the Clip+ you can install Rockbox to replace the original firmware and among other things get a better EQ.
I am not that familiar with Rockbox, so you can perhaps ask around about it. Most people who have installed it seem happy with it.

EDIT: I second violinvirtuoso.

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:
If you upgrade your headphones, you will be greeted with a much greater difference.

Quote:
EDIT: I second violinvirtuoso.

now i have akg k321, buying the s4 was the upgrade for me... now you're saying it's not good enough?? why all the great reviews? good publicity?

i think i'll get the d+ 16gb, now when i think about it the loseless formats weight too much for 8gb. but now i'm scared about the headphone (they will arrive tomorrow from the US).

Aug 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 21
I have read very good reports on the SQ of the 4g Nano, if you're not afraid of being seen with an Apple
ph34r.gif

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #10 of 21
Nano4G is decent, but I will take Fuze (or clip) over it any day of the week. That being said, I will take Gumstick over Fuze if SQ is the only concern. In fact,.I have been using Gumstick much more than Fuze these days (and much much much more than Nano 4G).

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
now i have akg k321, buying the s4 was the upgrade for me... now you're saying it's not good enough?? why all the great reviews? good publicity?

The Klipsch S4 is a great IEM. That being said, there are better IEMs. Because headphones are more important than your source (in your audio chain), an upgrade in your IEM will yield better results than an upgrade in source. Here's an example of a diagram describing the importance of various items in your audio chain:

Headphones>Source Material>Source (including DAC, Amp, etc.)>Cables

If you upgrade something higher up on the list, you will get a better bang for your buck upgrade.

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
The Klipsch S4 is a great IEM. That being said, there are better IEMs. Because headphones are more important than your source (in your audio chain), an upgrade in your IEM will yield better results than an upgrade in source. Here's an example of a diagram describing the importance of various items in your audio chain:

Headphones>Source Material>Source (including DAC, Amp, etc.)>Cables

If you upgrade something higher up on the list, you will get a better bang for your buck upgrade.

got it. so maybe in the future i'll upgrade my headphones, for now i think it's pretty good compare to what i had till now (akg k321 and nokia n95 cell phone......) oh, and i just bought the cowon D2+ 16GB. he is much smaller then i thought and looks great. thank you guys for your great help!!

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 21
The guys at mp4nation mark the S:Flo2's value at $25 and shipping is free, so that may help with the taxes. The S:Flo2 is the first DAP that I've had that's allowed me to hear a discernible difference between 320 kbps and FLAC. For it's price, it's a pretty remarkable player IMO.

Aug 15, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
I'd stay away from Cowon, ripoff prices. Sansa Clip+ is a great deal, and will play flac after you install rockbox.
S:Flo's $100+, ripoff.

Just an FYI, the Clip+ plays FLAC without Rockbox. I agree the Clip+ is a great deal, and I loved using it. The Clip+ performs well above it's price range, but is NOT the end-all-be-all when it comes to SQ.  Just like the Clip+, the S:Flo 2 performs well above it's price range. Have you used the S:Flo 2? I would not say the S:Flo 2 is a rip-off. Just the opposite.

Cowon players are in general, expensive. But they do sound great, come with loads of EQ options, class-leading battery life, support for all sorts of file types, play gapless, have great screens, etc. They are the closest thing to an audiophile mass-produced player I have seen. Stuff like the HifiMan HM-801 and S:Flo 2 sound great, but are not geared towards even the SQ-loving masses. For example, their UI is not sophisticated enough. Though usable for those who want SQ, they are not user-friendly enough for everyone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP has already purchased the 16GB Cowon D2+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back