Portable tube amp from china?
Jun 2, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #31 of 916
Quote:
picked this one up just recently...seems to have been upgraded...it actually has some warmth to it...nice bass responce...treble is clean...pots are clean...power supply was upgraded..

Class A 12/6 series 6N11 12AU7 Tube valve vacuum Hybrid Headphone Amplifier

this is a decent amp...will upgrade to german tube...but out of the box am very happy...picked it up for $37 delivered from China on Ebay...went with the 12 instead of the 6....heat sinks do get hot....,but so far it rivals any of my output jacks on my vintage solid state amps

This post doesn't tell us much unless you include the make and model of the amp. And $37? Don't know if I'd trust the quality/reliability of that. What kind of headphones are you running off this amp? Maybe provide some pics too?

Jun 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #32 of 916
I did a little more research and what you bought is a little bear.

Be careful with that because I hear they get extremely hot and prone to failure. I read another little bear tube amp review where the unit only lasted 1 day of stress testing. I hope it works out for you and you enjoy it, but don't get terribly upset if the unit fails. That's probably part of the low price point.

And also, that amp is not portable. So this is the wrong thread for your post.

Jun 18, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #33 of 916
what are your guys thoughts on this amp

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Rechargeable-HiFi-Tube-value-vacuum-headphone-amplifier-amp-battery-SIL-/110925530276?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item19d3ad44a4

I almost want to buy one out of curiosity alone. but I know I probably should not

edit:
BTW don't go telling me what to buy or link a good amp
I just want to know about this one.
Little bear b-1 is from china
I just received 2 of these today,at 59 usd each
At 25%volume seems to be enough for most headphones
They sound very good for price,yes I have heard others
That cost more money that sound no better
They run a little warm,but not bad
And does have tube sound for sure
I heard them for 3 hrs + with all kinds of music
And yes at this point,I would buy more of them
But I have never heard a high end headphone amp yet
And as tubes go will sound a little better after gets more hours on tube
Would be a cheap way to hear a tube amp

Aug 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #34 of 916
I would go with the Little-Bear P5., I was trying to hold out for a little Dot MK5 but, can't budget it right now.
The Little-Bear P5 is a two tuber, one for each channel. Actually, probably not even a comparison between them.

Anyway I just got mine yesterday. Only on the second week since I paid on eBay from http://myworld.ebay.com/wfqxgw/&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2754

They shipped promptly with tracking that updated the next day.
Don't expect any hugh difference ok. I paid like 27.00 with shipping and all.
It is  different, but I figure there is a little tube burn in period, not sure cause it's been awhile
since I have had anything with a tube in it. But have heard burn in is required, and some different tubes may yield
different tone or quality. Like I said don't expect blowout difference in sound, it does seem to be a little more open, different nuances to the tonal quality, no that what I had was bad.
But it is different, not sayin it's better or worse than the sound I get when I side by side with and without it.
But I been running it for 24hours straight now.

One NOTE: BEWARE The included transformer that came with mine got extremely hot, to hot to touch in less than an hour.
I sent them a message to ask it that was normal, well their store site message on eBay says they are away for a few days.
But they did reply very promptly the first time I asked questions pre purchase.
I have purchased stuff on eBay from China before, twice I think and this is the first thing I actually received and didn't have to get a PayPal refund.. The previous purchases tracking showed making  it into customs in NY but never showed up in my mail box.

Ok I thought since the transformer was getting way to hot, so hot I have to leave it sitting in an ashtray on my bench to keep for scorching my bench. I thought I would look around the shop and see if I had something to use instead. I had an 18v as transformer as it the furnished. Only mine was much bigger and like 5 time the va rating, which I figured would be ok, voltage it the most important factor I thought, I thought wrong it worked great for 5 minuets, then pop, very loudly, not thought the sound. One of the caps had exploded it's innards all over the place, oops. Well looked it over cleaned up the stuffing's from the blown cap with alcohol and Q-tips
and went to Radio shack for a new cap, it was a little tricky doing the replacement with these new surface and double layer projects, But I got it and it was back up and running in a few minuets. I went back to the furnished transformer for now, till I hear from wfqxgw.
And see what value va is safe for the unit and no fire hazard.

Final thoughts. Kinda wish I'd just waited for the Little Dot MKIV, but I like to tinker and thought this would be a good play toy, and cheap if I destroy it, I'm not out $200.
Will post after some more burn in and time based review.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #35 of 916
Ha, I just bought the Little Bear BK unit from the same Ebayer, wfqxgw.    I dont really need it, as I have an E12, and an Alo National en route, but for $80, what the hey.

Gonna see how it goes - will post a short report here once i get it.

Dec 27, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #36 of 916

I have it!
temporarily I purchased for a friend who saw my Continental and wanted something similar and this is over 10x less ha but no way does is come close..
I still would put this little bear over most if not all cmoy amps as it has a nice warm sound with nice treble.
It is not as dynamic or large sounding as as my O2 or Continental, but those are my best so this comes in as a nice cheap amp that actually looks so cool and geeky as you see the tube so clearly lit!

Only real problems are:
Heat
Pop sound off when battery dies.
Pop sound when pulling out or pluging in cables.
Pop sound upon turn on
Heat, heat, and more heat..
Static dusty sound at low end of pot when adjusting volume.
Still the sound is very alluring..
If only it didn't have that nuisance pop..

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #38 of 916
I just paid $50 for a little bear p1 from china http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Little-bear-match-6N11-12AU7-6922-Tube-valve-HiFI-Headphone-Amplifier-AMP-/291095026438?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Amplifiers&hash=item43c69d9b06 .

I'm expecting it to blow up on the first day and will use it in a big metal pot so that when it catches fire the pot will contain the flamed and prevent it from burning my desk down. I will also use an extension headphone cable so that it doesn't burn my HD800 I am a little concerned that it could ruin my HD800s in some other way, by sending a bad signal or something, but fortunately I'm still under warranty.

As you can see I expect nothing and only got this for fun.

It will be here in a few weeks. Should I order a bunch of additional bulbs? if so where? thanks

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #39 of 916
I have it!
temporarily I purchased for a friend who saw my Continental and wanted something similar and this is over 10x less ha but no way does is come close..
I still would put this little bear over most if not all cmoy amps as it has a nice warm sound with nice treble.
It is not as dynamic or large sounding as as my O2 or Continental, but those are my best so this comes in as a nice cheap amp that actually looks so cool and geeky as you see the tube so clearly lit!

Only real problems are:
Heat
Pop sound off when battery dies.
Pop sound when pulling out or pluging in cables.
Pop sound upon turn on
Heat, heat, and more heat..
Static dusty sound at low end of pot when adjusting volume.
Still the sound is very alluring..
If only it didn't have that nuisance pop..

I'm in the market for something like this, and the B-1 seems like a nice place to start. Only thing that worries me is the heat.
How hot does this get? I'm addicted to the tube sound, but looking for something that will comfortably fit in my chest pocket...

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #40 of 916
My little bear (linked above) came today. It seems to work fine and it's VERY powerful. More powerful than the objective 2 amp and I almost went deaf earlier when I accidentally had the volume at a level other than low. I'm not sure I hear the difference caused by the tube, sort of sounds a little more muddy maybe but that could be the amp itself? its glow looks cool though. no complaints in light of the price.

It also hasn't exploded yet after 30 minutes of use.

May 7, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #42 of 916
Got the B1 in the mail today. Got for around $35, including postage and handling. I didn't have very high expectations regarding the quality, but at this price I just couldn't resist.
Fired it up right away, and could easily see that there was a way to high current on the filament. The whole tube was glowing bright orange, and it smelled burned almost instantly.
Turned the amp off, and opened the casing. I replaced the 2W resistor, which in this case was measured to 0,1 ohms. Replaced it with a 22 ohm 5W resistor, and now the tube had a more "normal" glow. Another benefit from doing the mod was that now the hissing from the pot is far less prominent.

All in all, a nice little toy, with a decent sound quality to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #45 of 916
I got mine. They are using a 12v to 5 volt adapter for the heater supply. I replaced it with a traco based heater supply and it works much much better. I plan on adding a new battery and a USB DAC in there too for use with my phone. I'm thinking about redesigning the PCB and having it so that I can just plug the DAC into that so I can easily upgrade. I also have a 6021 tube on the way that I want to try out. There is a channel imbalance I'm still trying to figure out the cause of.  I also drilled a hole in the tube PCB for a UV LED but I haven't installed it yet. It runs very cool, I can actually comfortably hold it in my hand with the tube window touching my skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back