Portable tube amp from china?
post-15867860
Post #587 of 592

Novice2020

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Have anyone tried this little bear with dx160?
Also what is our consensus guys is b4 better than b4-x?

post-15867890
Post #588 of 592

Barndoor

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
From what I read in this forum other members didn't think there was much difference between the B4 and B4-x.
I went for the standard B4 as it only uses 1 opamp, so easier to upgrade (if you plan on going down that route).

post-15867906
Post #589 of 592

Novice2020

Head-Fier
Reaction score
From what I read in this forum other members didn't think there was much difference between the B4 and B4-x.
I went for the standard B4 as it only uses 1 opamp, so easier to upgrade (if you plan on going down that route).
Was your purchase worthy? I mean do you like this amp?

post-15868008
Post #590 of 592

Barndoor

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
For me yes, at times I really like a warmer/smoother presentation of music, I can find it to be more relaxing and emotionally engaging. Ideal if I'm working, reading or late at night.

I'm using my Cowon P1 or Mojo with the amp going to Focal Stellia.

For critical listening for me the amp does smooth the sound at the expense of precision, detail and texture compared to not having it in the chain. So the amp gives a flavour option that for you may or may be worth the sacrifices.

It is still early days for me and I'm still to come to a final conclusion on it. With the Stellia it is quite clear that they are not performing to their full potential with this amp (I suspect all my gear are holding them back to be honest).

I haven't tried it with some of my other headphones yet (nothing else has had a look in since I got the Stellia 2 months ago), but I suspect that they will also sound smoother with the negative differences being less apparent (I have Hifiman HE400i, Senn HD6xx, Fostex TH-X00, Audeze EL8).

Note I almost immediately replaced my opamp with a burson v5 as I had one to hand. Without this change I am less inclined to answer yes to your question.

post-15868032
Post #591 of 592

Novice2020

Head-Fier
Reaction score
For me yes, at times I really like a warmer/smoother presentation of music, I can find it to be more relaxing and emotionally engaging. Ideal if I'm working, reading or late at night.

I'm using my Cowon P1 or Mojo with the amp going to Focal Stellia.

For critical listening for me the amp does smooth the sound at the expense of precision, detail and texture compared to not having it in the chain. So the amp gives a flavour option that for you may or may be worth the sacrifices.

It is still early days for me and I'm still to come to a final conclusion on it. With the Stellia it is quite clear that they are not performing to their full potential with this amp (I suspect all my gear are holding them back to be honest).

I haven't tried it with some of my other headphones yet (nothing else has had a look in since I got the Stellia 2 months ago), but I suspect that they will also sound smoother with the negative differences being less apparent (I have Hifiman HE400i, Senn HD6xx, Fostex TH-X00, Audeze EL8).

Note I almost immediately replaced my opamp with a burson v5 as I had one to hand. Without this change I am less inclined to answer yes to your question.
Makes sense. This Burson upgrade doubles the price of the unit pretty much

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)