Portable Source Woes
Jul 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zacorias

Head-Fier
I am currently playing flac through my Cowon D2 to my Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones. The sound is amazing but I still see one major flaw. With only 4 gigs to use I can only fit about 7 albums of music. What am I supposed to do once my music library gets to 70+ gigs of memory. Keep switching the music out once I get bored of it? I know I can convert all the files to a smaller format to fit more songs but I would rather not go through that whole process and lose some of the quality.

So, my question is: when will a company come out with a player that can play 80+ gigs of flac? It really doesn't seem that unreasonable to me seeing as they have just come out with a 64gb SD card. I feel like there is a decent sized market for people who want to just throw their entire library of lossless music onto their portable music players. I have looked around quite a bit but have yet to find a good quality solution to this problem. The highest SD card I can put in my D2 is 32gb which helps but only leaves me with 36gb of music. This isn't too bad but I would rather not spend $80 on an SD card. So is the perfect music player somewhere out there for me, is this asking too much, or is this in the works?

Discuss.

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 8
My J3 is 32gb and takes micro sd cards.  That seems like a pretty good compromise to me. Do you think you could get one of those and be happy? If so, get one of those and be happy.

Jul 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #3 of 8
That seems like a good option and I know that they will be making some HUGE micro sd cards in the near future. The biggest problem is that any micro sd card over 32gb is going to be sdxc and from what I understand, to read sdxc you need different hardware. If they came out with a J3 that supported sdxc it would be perfect.

Jul 11, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Have you tried looking at the iPod Video 5.5g 80gb? Not only can you expand the HDD to 240gb you can rockbox it to get things like gappless playback, customizable EQ, FLAC support, etc etc. If you can afford it you also have the option of iMod/DIYMod and pairing it with a portable amp. I too looked at large capacity players and it's all I really came up with,

Jul 12, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 8
Turn your desktop computer into a music server, then use an internet capable phone to stream off your home machine.

Jul 12, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #7 of 8
I meant it sort of in jest, although it's technically doable. You just need to gain remote access to your computer. Here's one of the first hits off google: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000842.htm

How well you can stream probably depends on your carrier and data plan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back