Portable Sabaj Amp/DACs
Oct 15, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #46 of 86
Thanks so much for this response ! But can you explain a tad what this Peace GUI you mention is all about ? Doesn't signify for me as yet, heh....

I have the entry level Topping (NX1s), but having now heard the Sabaj at work, am aware of its limitations. I'm wondering how much further - NX2, NX4? - up the Topping ladder I have to go before I get Sabaj levels of performance plus those special bass powers! I don't want much, do I!

Will get to.work on the APO asap, and thanyou again for your suggestions..

Basically Peace is just an alternative user interface for Equalizer APO. Try Equalizer APO on its own first and see if it works for you.

Oct 22, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #47 of 86
Hi guys, I'm testing Da3 for some time now and as I have Da2 too, I can say that they do have same sound signature but DA3 does sound better - it has deeper bass and more energetic sound overall. It also feels ike much more serious device in hand. Also, I used to have SMSL Idea at one point and can confirm without any doubt that it's same device as Da2, they even use same driver on ma PC.

I've put some small user reviews on YT recently, so if you'd like to see them here are the links:

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #49 of 86
It can drive them decently enough. But it may not get maximum out of your headphones. Also have in mind Da2 is a bit lean sounding with demanding headphones. A guy I know tried it with Focal Spirit Pro and he wasn't happy with the final result, he ended up using older HRT microStreamer which has dedicated amp and much more oomph.

Nov 21, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #50 of 86
It can drive them decently enough. But it may not get maximum out of your headphones. Also have in mind Da2 is a bit lean sounding with demanding headphones. A guy I know tried it with Focal Spirit Pro and he wasn't happy with the final result, he ended up using older HRT microStreamer which has dedicated amp and much more oomph.
I spent months and months trying to choose - agonising in fact - which amp/DAC I would for the first time spend a little 'real money' on.....and in the event have been definitely let down by the (DA3) unit's decided lack of oomph ....and it seems downright clinical compared to my little Douk vacuum-tube amp & pre-amp combo (with their great reserves of abundant volume that flow absolutely distortion-free ALL the way up there where us loudheads begin to fly ...and the Sabaj is quite unforgiving' of the many less than stellar recordings that run through popular music like wildfire ....oh boy....what a crazy business this audio pursuit is, huh ! Sometimes I estimate about thirty percent pure joy the rest mainly darkness and dismay...?

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #51 of 86
You said it right, clinical and lean sound is the signature sound of Da2/Idea. On the other hand I don't know any device at that price point that can offer details plus power and musicality. That's why when asked I still like to recommend used HRT microStreamer to my friends. It's a stellar DAC and headphone amp in one, you get all the fine details as with Da2 but it's much more musical and with lots of oomph to drive most of the headphones with ease. So if it could be found for ~100 bucks (I sold mine for that price) it's easily a best buy.

Currently I'm waiting for a Topping NX4 to arrive for testing, it has dedicated amp. I'm eager to hear how it performs and test it against Da2/Da3.

Nov 21, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #52 of 86
You said it right, clinical and lean sound is the signature sound of Da2/Idea.

Ha...clinical and LEAN....yes! You clinched it ... Somewhere there must be a headphone that can bring out its very best - beyond a detailed tour of myriad recording errors ? Well that HRT "Microstreamer" is an odd sounding bird! Might you link us to something about heem ? Where is that one made ?

I have an NX1s that performs admirably and II have of course grown most curious about its higher echelon brothers... alnost pounced on an NX3 when the price came down a tad recently ... What often stymies me I guess is the weirdly different ways in which the specs for these things seem to be designated in Chinese ads..especially output metrics ...

Nov 21, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #53 of 86
microStreamer is produced by HRT (High Resolution Technologies) which is a US company located in California. It's not new at all and it's a little bit more expensive, but because it's been around for few years you can find it used for ~100$ (e-bay for example) and than it's a no-brainier buy. Here are some links: HRT official page, Amazon, What-HiFi review.

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #54 of 86
I want to buy Sabaj Da2 for using with Samsung S8+ and Meze Classics 99.

It is 100% compatible with Android 8?

Sq will be at least equal with Fiio X1 ?

Nov 28, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #55 of 86
Hi guys, I'm testing Da3 for some time now and as I have Da2 too, I can say that they do have same sound signature but DA3 does sound better - it has deeper bass and more energetic sound overall. It also feels ike much more serious device in hand. Also, I used to have SMSL Idea at one point and can confirm without any doubt that it's same device as Da2, they even use same driver on ma PC.

I've put some small user reviews on YT recently, so if you'd like to see them here are the links:

I don't know exactly what kind of sorcery is this but SABAJ DA2 (iDEA) when I've installed the official XMOS driver and changed the option at "Buffer Settings" from "Reliable" to "Standard" the sub-bass which was shy now it got way more impact hitting deeper than usual. I'd guess it's just the filter settings with odd names.

Also, If someone with this device can test and report if you get the same result as mine would be nice, so I can be sure it's not placebo. Here's the driver: http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/services.asp?id=73

(If you're on W10 probably you need to close all applications before changing it).

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #56 of 86
I don't know exactly what kind of sorcery is this but SABAJ DA2 (iDEA) when I've installed the official XMOS driver and changed the option at "Buffer Settings" from "Reliable" to "Standard" the sub-bass which was shy now it got way more impact hitting deeper than usual. I'd guess it's just the filter settings with odd names.

Also, If someone with this device can test and report if you get the same result as mine would be nice, so I can be sure it's not placebo. Here's the driver: http://www.sabaj.com.cn/en/services.asp?id=73

(If you're on W10 probably you need to close all applications before changing it).
Intéressant ! So, my XMOS having long been installed already, I should go back to the Sabaj website and make that adjustment there ? Clearly I overlooked heem before - haha not that those options "reliable" and "standard" present much in the way of glamour or enticement!

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #57 of 86
Intéressant ! So, my XMOS having long been installed already, I should go back to the Sabaj website and make that adjustment there ? Clearly I overlooked heem before - haha not that those options "reliable" and "standard" present much in the way of glamour or enticement!

If you have already installed the driver, can you see it?
i6Ia8tR.png

Feb 14, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #60 of 86
Greetings!! I just ordered a Sabaj PHA3 for use here in the office. I also ordered a matched pair of Amperex 6688 tubes to replace the Chinese 6J9's. I am pairing the amp with some Audio-Technica M40x phones. I can't wait to get everything in and setup. I just hope I ordered a decent set of replacement tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back