Portable Sabaj Amp/DACs
Apr 20, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 86
Yes, basically Sabaj and SMSL probably used the same OEMs for some of their products considering they pretty much look alike, X4 = DA1, IDEA = DA2, IQ = DA3 with built-in battery.
The IQ has a different internal layout but still uses a dual Q2C and the exact same components inside. The measurements are also pretty much alike.

The IQ uses a micro-USB input and comes with 3 cables => 1m USB to micro-USB, short micro-USB to micro-USB, short USB-C to micro-USB.
The DA3 uses a USB-C input and comes with 1 cable => 1m USB to USB-C.

I don't think the IQ needs an OTG cable since it's designed for portable usage.
I only have the DA3 so can't help you much with the IQ ^^

That's awesome! Yeah considering the battery drain issue with the DA3, the IQ sounds like a nice alternative, and only $20 more now that Sabaj raised the price to $119. lol

So does the IQ sound as good as the DA3? Does it have a strong amp?

Hmm ok. Well then that's another plus for the SMSL, b/c I've read that some ppl have issues when trying to use the DA3 with Android, but not sure if that's true for all Android phones. And not sure if u need an OTG cable to connect or not. The issue there is I can't seem to find any OTG 6" cables that are Type C to Type C. But the IQ comes with a short (I assume 6"?) USB-c to Micro-USB cable, so it's all good there. So for me I'd prob choose the SMSL IQ. I used to have to the $300 Oppo HA-2 portable amp/DAC. Wonder how the IQ holds up against that or the newer HA-2SE? And against the DFR? If anyone knows, please feel free to chime in!

That's fine. You've given me PLENTY of great info, so thanks!!

Apr 20, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #18 of 86
Yeah I meant da3. Now I am wondering about the IQ. With its own battery, I am thinking I can use it with iPhone using the standard camera connection cable. The USB 2 one. It’s $40 more bucks than the Fiio.

Ok.

I guess you could try that. I have Android so not sure on the right cable to buy. When I used to have the Oppo HA-2, it came with like EVERY cable you could possibly want, including one for iPhone. But it was $300, came in stitched leather binding, and could be used as a battery pack too. lol I'm thinking now I can get AS GOOD sound with something around the IQ's price though. So if I ever do feel the need to get a portable amp/DAC, right now, the IQ is prob at the top of my list.

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #19 of 86
Very cool review que!

So the cable is MicroUSB to MicroUSB-C or are both ends Type-C?? How long is the cable Sabaj supplied??

Yeah that is unfortunate on the battery drain. But great that it sounds so fantastic!

Sultans of Swing, nice!

Yeah I used to own the Sennheiser HD1 Over-Ear (wired) headphones until about 2 mos ago. Now I upgraded to the Bowers & Wilkins P7, which I absolutely love. The Momentum Over-Ear 2.0 and the HD1 Over-Ear are actually the SAME exact headphone with the same exact sound signature. Only difference besides the name change is that the HD1 has a slightly widened headband for a bit more comfort.
The cable is from type - c (for the DA3) and usb type - A

Apr 21, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 86
That's awesome! Yeah considering the battery drain issue with the DA3, the IQ sounds like a nice alternative, and only $20 more now that Sabaj raised the price to $119. lol

So does the IQ sound as good as the DA3? Does it have a strong amp?

Hmm ok. Well then that's another plus for the SMSL, b/c I've read that some ppl have issues when trying to use the DA3 with Android, but not sure if that's true for all Android phones. And not sure if u need an OTG cable to connect or not. The issue there is I can't seem to find any OTG 6" cables that are Type C to Type C. But the IQ comes with a short (I assume 6"?) USB-c to Micro-USB cable, so it's all good there. So for me I'd prob choose the SMSL IQ. I used to have to the $300 Oppo HA-2 portable amp/DAC. Wonder how the IQ holds up against that or the newer HA-2SE? And against the DFR? If anyone knows, please feel free to chime in!

That's fine. You've given me PLENTY of great info, so thanks!!

Dunno about the length actually, just saw them in an unboxing video on youtube. There is no specification about their length anywhere :pensive:

Well, didn't compare the DA3 and IQ but they probably have a really similar sound since they are using the exact same components of the exact same brands.
The amp is exactly the same, the Q2C has the particularity of being a DAC+AMP in one chip, so it should have as much power as the DA3.

No idea if it would compare to the HA-2, never tried it. But to me it sounds better than my Aune X1S and my DFR if it can be a reference. It drives my K712 way better than the DFR, has less power than the X1S but the DA3 still sounds more natural to my ears.

As I said in another topic, the DFR still has the advantage of its form factor and its low consumption... but its sound quality isn't quite as good. I probably would go with the IQ if I needed a portable device nowadays.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #22 of 86
I would be curious to try smsl IQ but I would first understand if attacking a type-c phone begins to take energy from the phone's battery to charge its internal ... Or it works with the internal one and not from problems. If it worked and I was sure I take it and I try it a little

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #23 of 86
Dunno about the length actually, just saw them in an unboxing video on youtube. There is no specification about their length anywhere :pensive:

Well, didn't compare the DA3 and IQ but they probably have a really similar sound since they are using the exact same components of the exact same brands.
The amp is exactly the same, the Q2C has the particularity of being a DAC+AMP in one chip, so it should have as much power as the DA3.

No idea if it would compare to the HA-2, never tried it. But to me it sounds better than my Aune X1S and my DFR if it can be a reference. It drives my K712 way better than the DFR, has less power than the X1S but the DA3 still sounds more natural to my ears.

As I said in another topic, the DFR still has the advantage of its form factor and its low consumption... but its sound quality isn't quite as good. I probably would go with the IQ if I needed a portable device nowadays.

Oh ok.

Ok.........yeah, but I didn't want to assume that since the supporting tech of a DAC/amp can make a difference on the sound as well. Very cool! Having a powerful amp is important b/c even if your headphones/earphones are low impedance, I myself have an ever-growing collection of Hi-Res music, and many times those albums are mastered or remastered at lower volumes on purpose. This is so when you raise the volume up it doesn't sound overwhelming like mp3s and even sometimes CDs can. So for THAT reason, a stronger amp would ensure that you can fully enjoy the quieter songs/albums like this.

Wow! Better than the $309 Aune X1S and $199 DFR eh? That is VERY impressive. I def have to keep the IQ (and DA3) in mind then!

Yeah. I'd prob choose the IQ if I were to go back to using external amp/DACs again. The DFR smaller size is prob its biggest advantage at this point. But if it's both more expensive and offers less quality than the IQ or DA3, then I just can't justify it really. If someone just wanted improvement and a small size and didn't care about cost, then maybe it'd be good for them. But most ppl won't wanna pay more and get less. Two years ago the DFR was maybe better than the rest, but now it seems it no longer can keep up.

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #24 of 86
I would be curious to try smsl IQ but I would first understand if attacking a type-c phone begins to take energy from the phone's battery to charge its internal ... Or it works with the internal one and not from problems. If it worked and I was sure I take it and I try it a little

The Oppo HA-2 I used to have came with a SPECIAL connector cable that was "OTG" on BOTH sides, which made it so the HA-2 (which HAD its own battery) wouldn't automatically start taking power from your phone. eBay has it, though you would need a MicroUSB to Type C adapter for it I guess.

Has anyone in here tried the cable for the IQ on an Android phone? Does the supplied cable it comes with do the same thing (prevent phone from charging it), or does it force the phone to charge it?? Chein????? lol

Apr 21, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #25 of 86
The Oppo HA-2 I used to have came with a SPECIAL connector cable that was "OTG" on BOTH sides, which made it so the HA-2 (which HAD its own battery) wouldn't automatically start taking power from your phone. eBay has it, though you would need a MicroUSB to Type C adapter for it I guess.

Has anyone in here tried the cable for the IQ on an Android phone? Does the supplied cable it comes with do the same thing (prevent phone from charging it), or does it force the phone to charge it?? Chein????? lol

No idea about that. I don't own the IQ :joy:

I've also seen good reviews about the Topping NX4DSD (ES9038) as a built-in battery DAC with good power or the Cyrus Soundkey as a small form factor DAC. They might also be good alternatives. I didn't personally listen to any of them though :slight_smile:

Apr 21, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #26 of 86
No idea about that. I don't own the IQ :joy:

I've also seen good reviews about the Topping NX4DSD (ES9038) as a built-in battery DAC with good power or the Cyrus Soundkey as a small form factor DAC. They might also be good alternatives. I didn't personally listen to any of them though :slight_smile:

Dahmmit! Ok. lol

I C. Cool. Do either of those have a dual DAC setup like the DA3 and IQ?? Doesn't seem like either does, but I figure I'd ask. I believe having a dual DAC setup would increase the quality, and since the DA3 and IQ are about that price, I'd be wanting that too for other alternatives as well.

Thanks!

Apr 21, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #27 of 86
I have no idea. Well it would be pointless having a built-in battery if it's for drawing power from the phone instead, so I doubt it's the case :thinking:

Dahmmit! Ok. lol

I C. Cool. Do either of those have a dual DAC setup like the DA3 and IQ?? Doesn't seem like either does, but I figure I'd ask. I believe having a dual DAC setup would increase the quality, and since the DA3 and IQ are about that price, I'd be wanting that too for other alternatives as well.

Thanks!

Just pointing out alternatives, it's always hard to choose the right one :blush:
There is also the Hidizs DH1000 which got kickstarted that will provide 2 separate channels, but instead of using 2* Q2C it'll use 2* K2M (DAC) + 2* ES9601K (AMP). It's way more expensive though :smile:

My guess would be having 2 separate component paths processing one channel each (like the DA3, IQ, DH1000) provides better channel separation. Since they interfere less with each other the dynamic range should be higher and the crosstalk lower than with a single DAC/AMP. It's surely doable with a single DAC/AMP channel, but the implementation probably needs to be way more elaborated and expensive to compensate. This is just a guess though, I'm far from knowing everything about how audio engineering works in those little boxes.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #28 of 86
I have no idea. Well it would be pointless having a built-in battery if it's for drawing power from the phone instead, so I doubt it's the case :thinking:

Just pointing out alternatives, it's always hard to choose the right one :blush:
There is also the Hidizs DH1000 which got kickstarted that will provide 2 separate channels, but instead of using 2* Q2C it'll use 2* K2M (DAC) + 2* ES9601K (AMP). It's way more expensive though :smile:

My guess would be having 2 separate component paths processing one channel each (like the DA3, IQ, DH1000) provides better channel separation. Since they interfere less with each other the dynamic range should be higher and the crosstalk lower than with a single DAC/AMP. It's surely doable with a single DAC/AMP channel, but the implementation probably needs to be way more elaborated and expensive to compensate. This is just a guess though, I'm far from knowing everything about how audio engineering works in those little boxes.

Yeah but I remember when I tried a different cable than the one that came with my Oppo, it was using the phone to charge it, so it CAN happen. lol But until someone says so on the IQ, I will assume the supplied cables prevent that.

WAY MORE expensive is right!!! What??!! I think I'll pass. LOL

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I think my Oppo HA-2 had only 1 DAC, but a few years ago you had to pay more for quality than you do now, so I'd rather have dual DACs. My LG V30 has the Quad DAC, which is probably why it sounds so dahmn good! When I compared my old HTC 10 and the LG V20 to the $300 HA-2, I couldn't hear any difference, which was definitely a nice surprise, and why I sold off the HA-2 soon after. Eventually the V30 came out and I felt it was time to upgrade my 10 to it.

No I'd say you're prob right. You would need really high-end supporting tech for the DAC & amp in order to compensate for there just being one DAC I'm sure.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #30 of 86
Ok, so both the da3 and the IQ have two separate dacs. But am I going to notice a difference in SE MODE. Or only in the BALANCED MODE?

Btw: Rockstar, can you run your P7 in balanced mode?

Hi turbo,

That's a great question. I believe you WOULD still notice a difference even in SE mode with their being two DACs on either device. The reason being, my LG V30 features a Quad DAC setup, and the fact that so many believe it to be THE audiophile phone says a lot about it. I believe what Chein said in the last half of his post above makes a lot of sense and seems to follow what I've read elsewhere about having more than one DAC on a device.

Another great question. I myself wondered this too. In fact, about a month ago I set out to find a balanced cable that would actually fit in my P7's "unique" connection, which requires you to remove the magnetic ear pad in order to access the connection port. Unfortunately, Bowers & Wilkins does not make a balanced cable that would fit my P7 (which they confirmed to me via e-mail), and I wasn't able to find a third-party one that looked like it would fit either. It sux, because I am curious to see if I would notice a difference between a regular and a balanced cable. Though my P7s already sound so incredible compared to the MANY other headphones I've tried (esp after I EQ'd them using my "Magic EQ", which seems to work on 3-4 other headphones I've tried as well), so it's not really a BIG deal for me. But I DO remain curious lol............................................

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back