++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE! [Please read OP]
Oct 26, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #91 of 190
You should look into JVCs. HA-FXD70s. I haven't heard the Amperors but for rock alternative acoustic music. These are one of the best. These use Carbon nanotubes and throw out some seriously high end detailed sound with speed and great balanced sound. Try em out. Another plus is they don't cost much for their sound.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #92 of 190
Quote:
It's about time you showed your face around here...! I guess you are right in the sense they are not fart cannon, bass monsters, but they are for sure not balanced. I would call my w4 balanced and these are far from it but you are right they are "more balanced" than typical basshead phones.
It is funny you posted here because I was looking for impressions on the CKM99 and I found yours. You said in march they were your favorite all time IEMS (Im sure you found more faves since then....) and I can see why. I use them as much as I use my W4's. Just a very fun sound to me. And it was also good to see that you found the same thing I did on the highs in contrast to a couple other reviews on here that I was able to find.
I guess what I mean on the bass, and I think you agree with me, on these is they can go SO LOW and have the capability of some serious bass when it is called for.
Anyway glad to see you post here to help some of these guys out. I know you have tried a lot of the models being asked about.

I got your back my friend.

Oct 26, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #93 of 190
Hello all,

I posted a similar post in the full-size recommendations thread, but I've come to realize that I'm after a more portable solution. I have a headset that I like for desktop use, so I was looking for the following:

Budget: I'm looking to spend no more than about $250 for the whole system, but flexible if need be.

Music: I enjoy a variety of different genres but these will likely be used with bands such as Tool, A Perfect Circle, 10 Years, R.E.M., and some classical/piano pieces. However, more listening time will be spent on the rock side than the classical side.

Needs: I'm looking at using these on the bus and to/from class so isolation and leakage are important (although leakage is more so). The headphones can be 'fun'.

After reading/watching a number of reviews, I've been looking at the FiiO E17 as a DAC/Amp. I would like one that could be used with my desktop as well, so these seemed like a good fit. That plus the LOD connector leaves about $50-100 for the headphones. I'm certainly willing to entertain other suggestions, but if you would recommend a different amp than cannot be used as a DAC, I'll need to leave ~$50 for a sound card for the desktop.

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #94 of 190
hello, im TF10 owner i want a iem for Punk rock, meta(every class of metal except death metal or a very nosiy), Classic music, crossover music, classic rock, etc ... i have 400 U$S at most can i spend 500u$s. Cheers.

Oct 27, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #95 of 190
Hello all,

I posted a similar post in the full-size recommendations thread, but I've come to realize that I'm after a more portable solution. I have a headset that I like for desktop use, so I was looking for the following:

Budget: I'm looking to spend no more than about $250 for the whole system, but flexible if need be.

Music: I enjoy a variety of different genres but these will likely be used with bands such as Tool, A Perfect Circle, 10 Years, R.E.M., and some classical/piano pieces. However, more listening time will be spent on the rock side than the classical side.

Needs: I'm looking at using these on the bus and to/from class so isolation and leakage are important (although leakage is more so). The headphones can be 'fun'.

After reading/watching a number of reviews, I've been looking at the FiiO E17 as a DAC/Amp. I would like one that could be used with my desktop as well, so these seemed like a good fit. That plus the LOD connector leaves about $50-100 for the headphones. I'm certainly willing to entertain other suggestions, but if you would recommend a different amp than cannot be used as a DAC, I'll need to leave ~$50 for a sound card for the desktop.

Thanks.

Hey there. The HD25-1 II is a great portable headphone in an on ear solution. It runs about 200 dollars new and 150 used. I personally like to have a desk amp that just sits there and the Fiio E10 is a nice inexpensive choice. Then the E11 could be your portable amp or the E6.

I have the DT1350 which I think you will be really really, happy with based on your uses but is a little more pricy. There is one used in the for sale forums for 220 but they go for 300. B&H had a pair yesterday for 210 used. I also run these off my little Sansa Clip unamped with no problem actually.

For an over ear, I wouldn't mind taking my AKG550's portably but you would have to find a case for them. They fold flat but don't come with a carry case. They are quite neutral were at one time on Tyll's wall of fame (the DT1350 is currently on the wall FYI). Great isolation unless you have a small head. I don't have a problem but some owners with smallish heads cant get a proper seal. Also not good if you wear glasses.... If you shop around you can find these used for 220.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #96 of 190
Hey guys. Just found this thread after looking at the buying guides and multiple other websites trying to find some new IEM, hopefully you guys can help me.

I got an old pair of Creative something IEM that i got from Sister a couple of years ago. The tips are damaged and they fit terribly in my ears.
I have been trying to find some a pair for awhile now, but what a jungle out there and i have no real idea what to look for.

I'm looking for a pair of IEM or on-ear headphones, The main criteria i have is there gotta be a iPhone 3 button Control on the wire. I dont care about the microphone, but its a must for the volume control and multi button. I have come to love the button control on my old creatives which is why im still using them i guess.
I'm not really fussed about the design if i choose a pair of IEM, but on-ear is probably a different story. I want something not to big and flashy. I like the general look of the Beats Solo and Fanny Wang(expect the ripples).

- I have a pretty big music taste, but i mostly listen to bands such as Muse, Arcade Fire and Arctic Monkeys. Some Rap and R&B is present too.
- I dont really know what type of sound im looking for, but i do like a bass that is present and i can feel, but not overpowering.
- I'm looking for something around 100$
- I will be using them with my iPhone and iPad only and mostly through Spotify and other streaming services. I'm not sure what kinda quality that is.
- Must have 3 button control and not to flamboyant design.
- I want IEM or on-ear headphones such as Beats Solo.
- I don't want a lot of sound leakage to avoid pissing off fellow passengers on the train or bus.
- If possible i want to be able to hear some traffic around me while wearing them.
- I value comfort pretty high aswell, I want them to be able to sit in my ear without me worrying about it.

I have been looking at the Klipsch S4i and A-Jays Four. What put me off on the S4i is that the 3 button control is placed where the left and right wire meet instead of the right wire normally. I normally have the wire tucked away inside my jacket to prevent it from catching on something so that was a problem for me. The A-jays looks pretty good and have "tangle free" cable but im not sure about the sound quality.

Hopefully you guys have some recommendations for me.

Thanks.

Carwen.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #97 of 190
I was planning to get a Starkey CIEM but they have stopped to sell any in-ear products due to a license issue.
I'm not quite sure what to go for now....
I was recommended Ultimate Ears by the man in the Oslo Starkey store.
Will the UE900 be a good first "audiophile" IEM or should I go for one of the pro versions straight away ?

I like to listen to rock mostly, but I listen to a lot of blues, jazz also

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #98 of 190
Okay guys, I'm on a student budget and can only afford earphones ranging from £10-25 (in-ear or on-ear). Tried LOTS of different brands, including a couple of Sennheisers, and none of them beat the quality I get from my cheap Samsung Tocco in-ear hands-free set. My JVC flats are actually quite good except that the volume has to be 50%+ in order to hear high range, thus they leak terribly! The music I love is indie/pop, such as Florence and the Machine and Coldplay. I would love earphones which allow me to hear all the instruments, rather than blurring them out. I also enjoy bass, but not to the extent that it takes over the music. I've also had a listen through those Beats headphones, which were so bass-heavy they put me off over-ear headphones! 
Hope someone can help! :) 

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #100 of 190
Quote:
Hey there. The HD25-1 II is a great portable headphone in an on ear solution. It runs about 200 dollars new and 150 used. I personally like to have a desk amp that just sits there and the Fiio E10 is a nice inexpensive choice. Then the E11 could be your portable amp or the E6.
I have the DT1350 which I think you will be really really, happy with based on your uses but is a little more pricy. There is one used in the for sale forums for 220 but they go for 300. B&H had a pair yesterday for 210 used. I also run these off my little Sansa Clip unamped with no problem actually.
For an over ear, I wouldn't mind taking my AKG550's portably but you would have to find a case for them. They fold flat but don't come with a carry case. They are quite neutral were at one time on Tyll's wall of fame (the DT1350 is currently on the wall FYI). Great isolation unless you have a small head. I don't have a problem but some owners with smallish heads cant get a proper seal. Also not good if you wear glasses.... If you shop around you can find these used for 220.

Thanks for the advice. Before I came here, I had been looking at the E17 and the ATH-M50s since those would be a substantial step up from what I have currently and I figured that amp could last me through more headphones once I got upgraditis. My original concern with the E11 was the inability to use it while charging, but if I have the desktop amp, I suppose that is less of an issue. Due to budget constraints, I see the following options (in no particular order):

1. ATH-M50S (new) + E17 (~$270)
  2. ATH-M50S (new) + E10 + E11 (~$250)
  3. DT 1350 (used) + E10 (~$310)
  4. DT 1350 (used) + E11 (~$295)
  5. DT 1350 (new) (~$280)
  6. DT 1350 (used) (~$230)
  7. HD-25-1 II (refurb) + E17 (~$300)
  8. HD-25-1 II (refurb) + E10 + E11 (~$280)

I do wear glasses occasionally, so the AKG550's wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rather be closer to $250 than $300, but I can always try waiting for a black friday/cyber monday sale. Would either the DT 1350s or HD-25s work unamped off of an iPhone? Out of the above options, which do you think would be best?

EDIT: After reading some other reviews, I've noticed some people complaining of comfort issues. I'm looking for headphones that I could have on for hours at a time while in my office in addition to taking them on the bus. Does this affect your recommendations any?

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #101 of 190
Hi guys , this is my first post after some time lurking around . I was wandering could any of you guys be so kind to recommend me a pair of IEMs ranging in <$100.
Im not so much of an audiophile but i appreciate nice sound differing from cheap earphones . So far ive came up with Sennheiser cx350 street II and Head-direct hifiman re0 .
My music of choice would be DnB , Rock , Classical , Pop , Trance and other sorts of electronic music . I appreciate good bass but im assured i cant get everything within my price range .
So yeah , please take some time to help me . Thanks in advance !

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #102 of 190
Thanks for the advice. Before I came here, I had been looking at the E17 and the ATH-M50s since those would be a substantial step up from what I have currently and I figured that amp could last me through more headphones once I got upgraditis. My original concern with the E11 was the inability to use it while charging, but if I have the desktop amp, I suppose that is less of an issue. Due to budget constraints, I see the following options (in no particular order):

• ATH-M50S (new) + E17 (~$270)
  • ATH-M50S (new) + E10 + E11 (~$250)
  • DT 1350 (used) + E10 (~$310)
  • DT 1350 (used) + E11 (~$295)
  • DT 1350 (new) (~$280)
  • DT 1350 (used) (~$230)
  • HD-25-1 II (refurb) + E17 (~$300)
  • HD-25-1 II (refurb) + E10 + E11 (~$280)

I do wear glasses occasionally, so the AKG550's wouldn't be my first choice. I'd rather be closer to $250 than $300, but I can always try waiting for a black friday/cyber monday sale. Would either the DT 1350s or HD-25s work unamped off of an iPhone? Out of the above options, which do you think would be best?

EDIT: After reading some other reviews, I've noticed some people complaining of comfort issues. I'm looking for headphones that I could have on for hours at a time while in my office in addition to taking them on the bus. Does this affect your recommendations any?

The only other truley portable that I would recommend comfort wise is the Phiaton MS400. They are the most comfortable on ear headphone I have every owned or tried and isolation is good. They actually have pretty good sound especially in the bass extension and mids. If you are looking for a headphone with a lot of sizzle in your high hats and sparkle they aren't for you, but I enjoyed them with hard rock especially songs with male voices. That all being said I don't think the DT1350 is uncomfortable. You should check out the video here by Tyll.

Otherwise I would be getting into over ear phones for portable use that i havent tried but can recommend that you look up like the new Sennheiser momentum is very light and an over ear. The Vmoda M100. The SRH840. I have the philips citiscape uptown coming in this week I can let you know how those are.

Lastly I tried the DT1350 through my itouchto answer your ipod question. Volume is sufficient. To my ears the SQ is better using an amp. Just faster attack and decay. You prolly could get an E6 if you need to save $ for now.

Edit: In case you haven't noticed I am trying to steer you away from the M50. Good headphone but I don't think it is going to be the best fit. That being said the M50 needs no amp out of your iphone.

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #103 of 190
hello, im TF10 owner i want a iem for Punk rock, meta(every class of metal except death metal or a very nosiy), Classic music, crossover music, classic rock, etc ... i have 400 U$S at most can i spend 500u$s. Cheers.

I really enjoy my W4's for those genres. More midcentric than the TF10. With a good seal you get good bass impact for those rock songs with a good drum track and albums like Eric Clapton's Unplugged just puts you in another world.

I think TwinQY will be answering some requests later today also he might have a couple suggestions but you won't be unhappy with the W4.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #104 of 190
Quote:
The only other truley portable that I would recommend comfort wise is the Phiaton MS400. They are the most comfortable on ear headphone I have every owned or tried and isolation is good. They actually have pretty good sound especially in the bass extension and mids. If you are looking for a headphone with a lot of sizzle in your high hats and sparkle they aren't for you, but I enjoyed them with hard rock especially songs with male voices. That all being said I don't think the DT1350 is uncomfortable. You should check out the video here by Tyll.
Otherwise I would be getting into over ear phones for portable use that i havent tried but can recommend that you look up like the new Sennheiser momentum is very light and an over ear. The Vmoda M100. The SRH840. I have the philips citiscape uptown coming in this week I can let you know how those are.
Lastly I tried the DT1350 through my itouchto answer your ipod question. Volume is sufficient. To my ears the SQ is better using an amp. Just faster attack and decay. You prolly could get an E6 if you need to save $ for now.
Edit: In case you haven't noticed I am trying to steer you away from the M50. Good headphone but I don't think it is going to be the best fit. That being said the M50 needs no amp out of your iphone.

Thanks again for your advice. I got some advice in the full-size section for some over the ears (KRK KNS 8400, Shure SRH840, Shure SRH940), but was wanting to see what portable options there were. Do you have any experience/thoughts on MS400 vs SRH840 vs KNS 8400? I think I will do more research between those three and pick up one of those. I think I'd rather put some money toward an amp I could use for a while and upgrade to either the DT1350 or SRH940 once some more funds are available.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #105 of 190
Thanks again for your advice. I got some advice in the full-size section for some over the ears (KRK KNS 8400, Shure SRH840, Shure SRH940), but was wanting to see what portable options there were. Do you have any experience/thoughts on MS400 vs SRH840 vs KNS 8400? I think I will do more research between those three and pick up one of those. I think I'd rather put some money toward an amp I could use for a while and upgrade to either the DT1350 or SRH940 once some more funds are available.

I owned the MS400 but haven't had the other two. Sorry.

Here's that link to the 210 dollar dt1350 in case you decide to go that route:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/755710/Beyerdynamic_702072_DT_1350_On_Ear_Closed_Back.html

Also I forgot to mention the other reason I choose the E11 and e10 over the the e17 is the power output of the E11 is about 35% more than the E17.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back