++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE! [Please read OP]
Oct 17, 2012 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 190

Doc-holliday

Never did like custom titles.
ANYONE FINDING THIS THREAD IN A SEARCH, PLEASE GO HERE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS. There will be plenty of people there to give you great recommendations! Thanks!

I am starting this thread to try to mirrior the successful thread in the Full Size Headphone section with nearly the same title as this one created by Olor1N (Thx olor1n!)Here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/recommendations-thread-i-e-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

I was noticing misposters in that thread as well as NUMEROUS new threads in the portable/IEM section every day. Please post your IEM/PORTABLE questions here instead of making a new thread.

There are tons of great threads out there for advice and info. I will link a couple here:

USEFUL LINKS:

Joker's 250+ reviews on IEMs
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-259-iems-compared-rock-it-sounds-r-10-and-r-11-added-10-14-12

Joker's 100+ portable headphone reviews.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-104-portable-headphones-reviewed-klipsch-image-one-added-10-02-12

DSNuts "Discovery Thread"
http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-fad-adagio-iii-ericp10-take-pg-242-the-sony-mdr-xb90ex-danny-bs-take-pg-182

InnerFidelity "Wall of Fame" (check out the whole site for more info/knowledge on judging cans)
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame

I am aware this has been tried before. I am going to try my hardest to get this thread off the ground and get some good knowledgable contributors recruited to keep it going. I also thought it would be useful to look very similar to the full sized thread mentioned above.

Recommendation seekers, IF YOU DONT GET AN ANSWER RIGHT AWAY it is okay to BUMP your questiont after a few hours at least for the first few weeks of this thread. I usually find this annoying but in this case I think keeping this thread bumped up will help to start getting people to post here insted of posting new threads and it will help for knowledgable contributors to see the thread exists. (I am going to delete this line after this gets going)

Please list details when asking questions such as:

- The type of music you will be listening to.
- The sound signiature you are looking for (more/less bass, neutral, etc.
- Price range you are in.
- What source or equipment you will be using (file information is useful too).
- Anything that could help someone direct you to the correct IEM or portable headphone.
- There are more and more "portable" over ear headphones cropping up on the market. Please specify IEM, On ear or Portable over ear.

If you don't know the answers to these questions, that's okay too. Just try to describe what you are looking for the best you can.

This is a glossary of terms that might be helpful (recommended by Joker):
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/50/

Joker was kind enough to recommend putting links to his threads in the OP and he said he would help anyone w questions if you post on the above threads. He said he doesn't ususally have the "latest and greatest" models but obviously any models that can be found in his threads above he can help with.

IF YOU DON"T MIND HELPING PLEASE SUBSCRIBE TO THIS THREAD and try to answer any questions you can from posters.

Alright here we go. See if this gets off the ground.

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 190
Thanks for doing this! The Portable forums always seem to be littered with suggestion threads, way more than the now rather tame full-size subforums. And many of them never seem to be answered as well. I can go back 4 pages, and find at least one unanswered thread for each page. A structured format like this will help potential buyers a lot. 

Let's start with this: I'm looking for a portable, closed can around $50-250. Music preferences are in my profile. They can be on or over-ear. Am looking for something that isolates decently, comfortable, not plasticky crap, and most importantly, can have either an analytical sound (not treble peaky or harsh) or a relatively flat with some sub-bass emphasis. Have heard all the usual suspects (M50, M80, HD25, etc) and am looking for something a little more esoteric, a diamond in the rough, something that doesn't get recommended much, or just don't appeal to the typical warm, bassy head-fier taste. Am currently looking at the SRH940 and M50s. If I can get suggestions quickly, I'd be mighty impressed. Good luck with this thread, and hopefully it doesn't die out!

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 190
We already have one for this section.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here

No-one really bothers answers the requesters questions and it drops of the page constantly. Most become fed up waiting starting a new thread because of this, plus, once the suggestion thread drops off the page it's not easy to find using the search feature for new comers. If it could be pinned on top of the forum page it may work better.

One member waited an entire month for a reply out of courtesy recently, came back a month later starting their own thread apologizing for doing so. :tongue_smile:

Anyway, from what I've seen the comments get lost, no-one replys and it drops off the page.

But goodluck to your cause. :wink:

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 190
ok my first post:) i was wondering if pl21 for $16 was better than es18 for relatively $11. more of a mid kind of guy.. more emphasis on treble than bass.. any others within $20 worth the buy?

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 190
Thanks for doing this! The Portable forums always seem to be littered with suggestion threads, way more than the now rather tame full-size subforums. And many of them never seem to be answered as well. I can go back 4 pages, and find at least one unanswered thread for each page. A structured format like this will help potential buyers a lot. 

Let's start with this: I'm looking for a portable, closed can around $50-250. Music preferences are in my profile. They can be on or over-ear. Am looking for something that isolates decently, comfortable, not plasticky crap, and most importantly, can have either an analytical sound (not treble peaky or harsh) or a relatively flat with some sub-bass emphasis. Have heard all the usual suspects (M50, M80, HD25, etc) and am looking for something a little more esoteric, a diamond in the rough, something that doesn't get recommended much, or just don't appeal to the typical warm, bassy head-fier taste. Am currently looking at the SRH940 and M50s. If I can get suggestions quickly, I'd be mighty impressed. Good luck with this thread, and hopefully it doesn't die out!

Well TwinQY... what do you think? H2O has a point there on that other thread. The thing is I have searched all over for a thread like that and couldn't find that one. Maybe the wording?

Don't really wanna try to "compete" with another thread I just want to help make sure there is one that exists that is easy to find and people get their questions answered....

BTW, knowing you are a fellow W4 owner, I can't see you liking the M50. Wish i had tried that Shure to tell you something about it. The Phiaton MS400 is an interesting sound. Definitely not bright or harsh. Bass range is impressive for a portable and quite controlled. I don't think they are for everyone but you should try to audition those somewhere.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 190
ok my first post:) i was wondering if pl21 for $16 was better than es18 for relatively $11. more of a mid kind of guy.. more emphasis on treble than bass.. any others within $20 worth the buy?

Let me know if you ever get an answer on that other thread. I'm thinking of changing this thread.

But in any case the $7.11 Monoprice 8230 will probably be a good bet for you. Not bass heavy at all. JVC FX40 has detailed sparkly treble but is more bassy for 20 bucks.

Here is a review by joker of the PL21.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/444307/soundmagic-pl21-first-impressions-review

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 190
Quote:
Well TwinQY... what do you think? H2O has a point there on that other thread. The thing is I have searched all over for a thread like that and couldn't find that one. Maybe the wording?
Don't really wanna try to "compete" with another thread I just want to help make sure there is one that exists that is easy to find and people get their questions answered....
BTW, knowing you are a fellow W4 owner, I can't see you liking the M50. Wish i had tried that Shure to tell you something about it. The Phiaton MS400 is an interesting sound. Definitely not bright or harsh. Bass range is impressive for a portable and quite controlled. I don't think they are for everyone but you should try to audition those somewhere.

To be honest, I have never seen that thread since I've been here. Nobody directs others to it, it just seems like sort of a waste. I sifted through the 70 or so pages, and the infrequency and quality of responses makes the whole effort seem lacking compared to the full-sized recommendations. The title on this thread was much more attention grabbing - that's why I came here.

Either we start fresh with this new thread, and hopefully do better this time around, or we just sticky the old one and try to salvage whatever interest left. I'm tired of going through all the new suggestion threads where we could just culminate them all in one thread (which I could then later ignore 
tongue.gif
). Would make reading other interesting stuff on the forums so much easier. 

I sort of liked the M50s during the 30 minutes I had with them. The only thing I would ask for would be a faster-hitting bass, and to take away that metallic tinge in the treble. I'm trying to go for a signature that isn't what I usually listen to right now, so also looking at the COPs and the DT1350. My local store doesn't have the MS400 anymore, but I'll try and ask to see if they can get some more in stock, as they do sell other Phiaton products.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 190
To be honest, I have never seen that thread since I've been here. Nobody directs others to it, it just seems like sort of a waste. I sifted through the 70 or so pages, and the infrequency and quality of responses makes the whole effort seem lacking compared to the full-sized recommendations. The title on this thread was much more attention grabbing - that's why I came here.

All right well I say we try to keep it going for a couple weeks and see what happens.

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #10 of 190
Oct 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 190
I would be curious to hear an answer to this myself. Im currently seeking the same I think. Although I listen to more metal I also like a wide range of other music like electronic or dubstep. I wear headphones quite a bit and travel by bus or train so closed is important and some decent isolation. I prefer to hear fast punchy bass. Im a bit of a bass head as well but dont want to give up quality and response for more bass heavy cans. I appreciate the mids and highs a lot in both metal and electronic. I was considering an IEM for my smartphone and a nicer home model over ear. I am willing to go with a portable over ear if it doesnt bleed sound too much and annoy other people. Also I have plugs in my ears all the time. I have small ears to begin with and my ear is probably the size of a large ear now. haha. but I dont think it would be comfortable to have an on ear with my ear plugs. 

Here is what I was thinking. 
$600 -$750
for:
IEM
DAC and Over ear for home laptop use

or

A better Portable headphone with portable amp for my smartphone and laptop
$600- $750

Its funny Doc. I was just about to ask this same question yesterday in the full-size after reading some of your responses there. The HD25-1 II (i think it is) comes up a lot, i guess im just not "sold" on it yet. Im coming from an old pair of Shure E3c

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #12 of 190
I would be curious to hear an answer to this myself. Im currently seeking the same I think. Although I listen to more metal I also like a wide range of other music like electronic or dubstep. I wear headphones quite a bit and travel by bus or train so closed is important and some decent isolation. I prefer to hear fast punchy bass. Im a bit of a bass head as well but dont want to give up quality and response for more bass heavy cans. I appreciate the mids and highs a lot in both metal and electronic. I was considering an IEM for my smartphone and a nicer home model over ear. I am willing to go with a portable over ear if it doesnt bleed sound too much and annoy other people. Also I have plugs in my ears all the time. I have small ears to begin with and my ear is probably the size of a large ear now. haha. but I dont think it would be comfortable to have an on ear with my ear plugs. 

Here is what I was thinking. 

$600 -$750

for:

IEM

DAC and Over ear for home laptop use

or

A better Portable headphone with portable amp for my smartphone and laptop

$600- $750

Its funny Doc. I was just about to ask this same question yesterday in the full-size after reading some of your responses there. The HD25-1 II (i think it is) comes up a lot, i guess im just not "sold" on it yet. Im coming from an old pair of Shure E3c

Please clarify on the ear plug thing... like an aid?

The HD25-1 II are just a great headphone. I don't feel they are the most comfortable thing in the world. I don't think you could be disappointed in their sound but these might not be the best fit for you.. You saw what I said about the MS400. They really extend well in the bass department and don't bloat. I was suprised. There is a roll off in the high end but I did enjoy them quite a lot, but if you really like a sharp sizzle from high hats in your metal you won't get it here. Those I found VERY comfortable to wear and they are very portable and get a great seal and isolate suprisingly well. Mids are not recessed at all and are plenty present and not overpowered by the bass. No amp really required for these.

If you want to hold that thought until Saturday, I have the K550 coming in then and they are on Tyll's wall of fame. They are supposed to be efficient enough to be run unamped. I've heard mixed reviews but I can let you know. They are more of a full sized but I can see them being used portably.

Your budget gives you tons of options. I really wish I could tell you something about maybe the new UE models, or the new Sennheiser Momentums for example but haven't been so lucky to come accross them yet. Look like some decent portable over ear models there. Look them up.

If you wanted a DAC+IEM for portable+Full Sized for home for 700 dollars then you could try:

TF10 -- $160, ODAC+O2 Amp Combo from JDS Labs $265, plus the Beyer DT880 250 ohm. If you are really wanting to get mor bass quanty the DT770 but the mids are more balaned with the 880. All that should be about 700 bucks.

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #13 of 190
Wow. If my budget was $600-$700, I wouldn't have to put up with this crappy S500 + clip zip combo!
wink_face.gif

Edit: Mind you, it won't take long hanging around here to get to $600-$700. Scary place!

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #15 of 190
Quote:
Please clarify on the ear plug thing... like an aid?
The HD25-1 II are just a great headphone. I don't feel they are the most comfortable thing in the world. I don't think you could be disappointed in their sound but these might not be the best fit for you.. You saw what I said about the MS400. They really extend well in the bass department and don't bloat. I was suprised. There is a roll off in the high end but I did enjoy them quite a lot, but if you really like a sharp sizzle from high hats in your metal you won't get it here. Those I found VERY comfortable to wear and they are very portable and get a great seal and isolate suprisingly well. Mids are not recessed at all and are plenty present and not overpowered by the bass. No amp really required for these.
If you want to hold that thought until Saturday, I have the K550 coming in then and they are on Tyll's wall of fame. They are supposed to be efficient enough to be run unamped. I've heard mixed reviews but I can let you know. They are more of a full sized but I can see them being used portably.
Your budget gives you tons of options. I really wish I could tell you something about maybe the new UE models, or the new Sennheiser Momentums for example but haven't been so lucky to come accross them yet. Look like some decent portable over ear models there. Look them up.
If you wanted a DAC+IEM for portable+Full Sized for home for 700 dollars then you could try:
TF10 -- $160, ODAC+O2 Amp Combo from JDS Labs $265, plus the Beyer DT880 250 ohm. If you are really wanting to get mor bass quanty the DT770 but the mids are more balaned with the 880. All that should be about 700 bucks.

Thanks Doc. I thought that may come across as confusing. by ear plug Im referring to a piercing 00gauge on my lobe, thought it may get in the way. Ill wait to see what the k550 is like, im in no rush. 

I like the home and IEM combo idea with amp. anything to compliment the TF10 with (portable amp/equalizer) or something.

im going to check into the ms400. I havent read that thread yet. You say they high hats may not come in so well though? Is there a can i can get a good balance with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back