++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE! [Please read OP]
Oct 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #46 of 190
Hello, I am looking for an IEM with the price range of about $500. I listen to folk, folk rock, rock, alt.rock, a little of rap. I've been looking at the Westone 4Rs especially, wondering if it will suit my liking. I also looked at the Shures se535, and the Sonys MDR-EX1000. I though couldn't come up with a final conclusion. It would be great if someone could help me decide. Thankyou.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #48 of 190
Hello, I am looking for an IEM with the price range of about $500. I listen to folk, folk rock, rock, alt.rock, a little of rap. I've been looking at the Westone 4Rs especially, wondering if it will suit my liking. I also looked at the Shures se535, and the Sonys MDR-EX1000. I though couldn't come up with a final conclusion. It would be great if someone could help me decide. Thankyou.

I have the w4 and have been able to audition the 535 but dont own. The w4 are amongst my favorites to listen to. They are a good balanced hp with very detailed midrange and excellent musical separation. I wasn't as impressed personally with the 535 and found it to have more bass emphasis. It would be more suitable for the rap music you listen to while the w4 would be a nice fit for the other music you like imo. I wish i spent more time with the 535 to tell u more but obviously i chose the w4.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #49 of 190
Quote:

IEMs wise, GR02 Bass, Eternas, are good bassy choices. Haven't heard much in that price range though. For portable cans, the DJ100s are quite popular, though I haven't heard them. I really liked the HP700 for electronic music though. Have not heard the MEElectronics, but maybe take a gander at ljokerl's review on them for a better idea. 

I couldn't find mention of GR02 or Eternas, on the other hand, the reviews of DJ100s say that they're lacking in bass? HP700s are a bit of my price range unfortunately.

Anyother recommendations?

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #50 of 190
Quote:

I couldn't find mention of GR02 or Eternas, on the other hand, the reviews of DJ100s say that they're lacking in bass? HP700s are a bit of my price range unfortunately.

Anyother recommendations?

Have you read ljokerl's review? ClieOS's roundup here is also very informative. http://www.head-fi.org/t/607075/review-vsonic-gr01-gr02-bass-edition-gr06-and-gr99-v-for-value. Got my DJ700s on sale at your price point, so didn't remember that they were actually 130 
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #51 of 190
Quote:

The Shures have a lot of lush mids, which might be good for your types of music. Unfortunately, that's all I though they had in the end - the treble is not very special, and slightly rolled off, the bass simply isn't as tight or as fast as the W4s. I'd take the W4s in a heartbeat if I were you. In case you haven't looked at them yet, the 4.Ai (many people claim them to be somewhat neutral, perhaps a good all-rounder? You should probably look into the main thread) and the PFE232 (I know they're currently above budget, but Earphonesolutions always has a 15-25% coupon during Halloween, Black Friday, which would cut the price down, free shipping in the US and they have international shipping as well) should be in the running as well. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #54 of 190
I am looking for a replacement for my Brainwavz M2. Sound is good, build quality not so. I am looking for something a bit better.
In ears are fine, so are ears+amp combo. 

So far I was looking it :
VSonic GR04/06/07
Brainwavz M4
Brainwavz R1
HiFiMan RE-ZERO

I have looked at the comparison chart but I find it hard to make a conclussion just of that. My budget is up to $100.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #55 of 190
Hi everyone !!! I 'm quite a newbie and just into headphone world 
I 'm just bought an ATH CKS 55 on August and I'm already impressed with it ( Many didn't hahaha ) 
So far , I love my CKS 55  and I believe CKS 77 confirm will satisfy me but I would love to try earphone with different sound :D
There is a few earphone in my consideration , JVC HA-FXT90L2 , Sony MDR-XB 90 EX , UE 600 and Westone UM1 
FXT 90 should be a fun earphone based on many review ( Twin Dynamic )
UM1 is said to be lack of bass but I heard it is very comfortable and very durable ( BA driver ) 
Hmmm... I am very curious about XB 90 EX as many didn't mention here and wish to know doesnt it really worth ( 16mm dynamic should suited a person like me ~ I love bassier earphone with fun sounding )

Well all around same price as I can't afford expensive IEM

Hope pros can give me some advice :)

Oct 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #56 of 190
Hi everyone !!! I 'm quite a newbie and just into headphone world 
I 'm just bought an ATH CKS 55 on August and I'm already impressed with it ( Many didn't hahaha ) 
So far , I love my CKS 55  and I believe CKS 77 confirm will satisfy me but I would love to try earphone with different sound :D
There is a few earphone in my consideration , JVC HA-FXT90L2 , Sony MDR-XB 90 EX , UE 600 and Westone UM1 
FXT 90 should be a fun earphone based on many review ( Twin Dynamic )
UM1 is said to be lack of bass but I heard it is very comfortable and very durable ( BA driver ) 
Hmmm... I am very curious about XB 90 EX as many didn't mention here and wish to know doesnt it really worth ( 16mm dynamic should suited a person like me ~ I love bassier earphone with fun sounding )

Well all around same price as I can't afford expensive IEM

Hope pros can give me some advice :)

I am not a "pro" but I have tried a few. I just happen to get a pair of CKM99's which can be found for just over 100 dollars i believe in a trade. I must admit I have been kind of adicted to them. If you read Joker's review of them it almost sounds like he didn't like them until you realize he gave them almost a 9 out of 10 in Sq. I agree with so much of what Joker says but on that one the only difference is I find the bass quite textured and addictive. They are a fun phone and just have this unique sort of sound going on with the bass/mids to them that I cant seem to stop listening to. Colored sound but fun to listen to.

The JVC FXD80 is another fun bassy sounding iem that people rave about on the long thread on that line.

Of course the TF10s are a huge upgrade from the 600 and for 150 you get real bang for your buck in a fun sounding IEM. The bass is quicker and less extension than the CKM99's.. The Shure SE215 is supposed to be a nice bassy hp as well and a great improvement upon the inferior se210 (imo hiddeous sounding).

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #57 of 190
Hi all, and thank you for all the great information (and opinions) on this site!

Bottom line is I'm looking for new buds, probably relatively high-end ($200-$500) with a microphone and control in-line.  Isolation is less important than audio quality, and probably want an very accurate (i.e. flat) sound.   I don't want to buy a set and be unhappy and buy a more expensive set later!  Looking at Ety's and Audeo's and UE900 and customs...

Here's more info than you could possibly want....

I have the Shure SE530's which I need to replace.  I use them with my cellphone (Android HTC One X variant - Sprint's HTC EVO 4G LTE) and they are "noisy" - they crackle with static whether the cord moves or not.  This happens with the extension cord or just the attached Y cable.  Same symptom with my previous phone also. 

I got a great deal from Cowboom recently - the Ety HF3's for around $65 (new).  I got the ACS custom sleeves made but those just did not fit right  But the HF3's were fine with the included foam sleeves.  I did not love them - they were "allright".  But, I lost them (and the custom sleeves that I was working with ACS on fixing) so need to replace.  (There was still some crackling with my phone, but much less.)

I want a microphone/control.  I was able to get the iphone control working on the HF3's with my Android phone using a google play program called Headset Button.

I can't bring myself to spend $140-180 on the HF3's having already bought them for less than 1/2 that price!

So I am thinking of the Audeo 132's or 232's.  Having trouble bringing myself to spend $500 (after 20% off at earphone solutions) on the 232's, but that's my most likely choice at this point.

If I were to give up the microphone/control then I would have more options.  I see that JHAudio has a cable that maybe I could use with any earphones, or just theirs?
http://www.jhaudio.com/product/mic-cable-smart-phones

Or perhaps for that amount of money ($500 or so) I should consider getting JH5's with that cable??

My priority is NOT isolation - a little external sound is fine, so that is why I am not giving priority to custom.  (I use my earphone primarily at work and when riding a bicycle - I know - no lectures please... but anyway, a little sound leakage is ok)

I think I like an accurate sound (i.e. flat) - and from reading this site I assume the Audeo's will not provide that, but perhaps it's close enough and I will actually enjoy the "V".

I have enjoyed the sound of the SE530's and found their bass to be sufficient, although if it were a little stronger that would be ok.  They are very "clean" sounding to me - really clear and transparent, but I am not sure I am using those terms correctly!  I can really hear the instruments and love the sound of the instruments, and of voices.

I've used the UE Triple-Fi's (I lost them also).. I don't recall exactly what I thought, but I did not like them nearly as much as the 530's.  Perhaps they were a little too "colored" and definitely they were not as comfortable as the SE530's.

I listen to rock, jazz and classical.  I typically use FLAC or high bit-rate (256/320) MP3's, but some of those come from bootleg sources (Grateful Dead fan here) so they are not always form the highest quality sources.

Sorry for the long write-up.  Let me know any suggestions - go for the Audeo 232's?  are the 132's sufficient?  JH's with the cable?  ACS has my molds already, so maybe i could try them - but they have no mic/control and are more expensive than 232's....

Any thoughts, suggestions etc. are welcome.

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #58 of 190
Quote:
Hi all, and thank you for all the great information (and opinions) on this site!

Bottom line is I'm looking for new buds, probably relatively high-end ($200-$500) with a microphone and control in-line.  Isolation is less important than audio quality, and probably want an very accurate (i.e. flat) sound.   I don't want to buy a set and be unhappy and buy a more expensive set later!  Looking at Ety's and Audeo's and UE900 and customs...

Here's more info than you could possibly want....

I have the Shure SE530's which I need to replace.  I use them with my cellphone (Android HTC One X variant - Sprint's HTC EVO 4G LTE) and they are "noisy" - they crackle with static whether the cord moves or not.  This happens with the extension cord or just the attached Y cable.  Same symptom with my previous phone also. 

I got a great deal from Cowboom recently - the Ety HF3's for around $65 (new).  I got the ACS custom sleeves made but those just did not fit right  But the HF3's were fine with the included foam sleeves.  I did not love them - they were "allright".  But, I lost them (and the custom sleeves that I was working with ACS on fixing) so need to replace.  (There was still some crackling with my phone, but much less.)

I want a microphone/control.  I was able to get the iphone control working on the HF3's with my Android phone using a google play program called Headset Button.

I can't bring myself to spend $140-180 on the HF3's having already bought them for less than 1/2 that price!

So I am thinking of the Audeo 132's or 232's.  Having trouble bringing myself to spend $500 (after 20% off at earphone solutions) on the 232's, but that's my most likely choice at this point.

If I were to give up the microphone/control then I would have more options.  I see that JHAudio has a cable that maybe I could use with any earphones, or just theirs?
http://www.jhaudio.com/product/mic-cable-smart-phones

Or perhaps for that amount of money ($500 or so) I should consider getting JH5's with that cable??

My priority is NOT isolation - a little external sound is fine, so that is why I am not giving priority to custom.  (I use my earphone primarily at work and when riding a bicycle - I know - no lectures please... but anyway, a little sound leakage is ok)

I think I like an accurate sound (i.e. flat) - and from reading this site I assume the Audeo's will not provide that, but perhaps it's close enough and I will actually enjoy the "V".

I have enjoyed the sound of the SE530's and found their bass to be sufficient, although if it were a little stronger that would be ok.  They are very "clean" sounding to me - really clear and transparent, but I am not sure I am using those terms correctly!  I can really hear the instruments and love the sound of the instruments, and of voices.

I've used the UE Triple-Fi's (I lost them also).. I don't recall exactly what I thought, but I did not like them nearly as much as the 530's.  Perhaps they were a little too "colored" and definitely they were not as comfortable as the SE530's.

I listen to rock, jazz and classical.  I typically use FLAC or high bit-rate (256/320) MP3's, but some of those come from bootleg sources (Grateful Dead fan here) so they are not always form the highest quality sources.

Sorry for the long write-up.  Let me know any suggestions - go for the Audeo 232's?  are the 132's sufficient?  JH's with the cable?  ACS has my molds already, so maybe i could try them - but they have no mic/control and are more expensive than 232's....

Any thoughts, suggestions etc. are welcome.

Wow, nice post! Love it when people put so much detail and effort into their posts. The 232s from what I remember were only slightly V-shaped, and the mids were not at all recessed. Comfort and build are very good, isolation is average. Very clear, accurate, refined sound. If you though the 530s were clean (I thought they were overly lush and colored), 232's would just be a breath of fresh air. You might also want to look into the 4.Ai. 

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #60 of 190
Hey guys,need your help deciding on what to do next. I was a proud owner of the Audio Technica ATH CK-10 IEM. Lasted me over a year until one of the armatures went dead (cable issue) on my original pair and replacement pair. The holiday season is about to kick in and I was wondering if there are great deals on IEM's to be had. Should I wait till late Nov/early Dec for these deals?

I particularly am interested in either the Yamaha EPH-100, Fischer Audio DBA-02 (MK II), VSonic GR01, or Grado GR10. I want a sound similar to the CK10's which I absolutely loved. I can't see myself purchasing the CK10's again because of the flimsy straight cable connector. Which of these aforementioned IEM's would you guys recommend? I listen to a wide variety of music genres, primarily Hip Hop, Rock, & House. Love instrument separation. 

I would love for I-Device controls but those seem sparse in regards to the sound quality that I am looking for. I like small housings like that of the CK10. I wear cable down, so microphonics should be better than average. 

Are there any new models coming down the pipeline that may be of interest to me? My budget is between $150 - $350. Thanks in advance for the help and thanks to Doc-Holliday for starting this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back