++PORTABLE/IEM RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ i.e. Don't start a new thread: ask for advice HERE! [Please read OP]
Oct 20, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #31 of 190
Quote:
No prob invalid404
Johnny scratch what I said about the K550 above. Listening more.... Now powering them from my Fiio E11 with bass switch on 1. Amazing sound. These have balance. Great mids and smooth but detailed highs. Drawback -- ears do get hot after extended listening and headband starts to put pressure on the top of my head but supremely comfy on the ears. . Beyer DT770 will be much better in that respect. Both phones will cover your ears nicely and your "hardware" installed in your ears won't be a problem. I think it is basically one of those two for you. I don't know of another can that has a wide soundstage like these two in a closed can that will meet your needs. So if you want a more "fun" v shaped sound -- go for the 770 (mids are not absent either so don't get mislead) if you want a more mid centered phone with detail and more balance un eq'd get the 550. In both cases I recommend the e11 portable amp. You could get the E10 dac/amp for now for your laptop. Both cans respond well to the bass boost on the e11. The 770 better than the 550.
The K550 I could see using as a portable over the 770 as a note, but again I think you should get a seperate IEM for portable or an on ear but we decided those will hurt too much.
Feel free to peruse through Joker's iem comparrison thread to get ideas. Like I said the TF10 is a fun sounding IEM that is good for the money. The only issue is the barrel is quite large and if you have small ear canals the TF10 will be uncomfortable.
Other 100 dollar'ish IEMs to get in combo with the above.... JVC FXD80, SE215, CKM99 (v bassy)
The end... lol

man great advice. +1. I was noticing the ear canal part on the TF10. I usually use the mid sized on both the shure and denons I have. So i think I will risk getting them. I could always use a different set of earpieces if I need. I like the reviews and it sounded good.

Im liking the idea of the 550 alot. havent researched the 770 yet. Portable amp is interesting as I could bring it with my smartphone. Was considering one only for laptop but I like the idea of being able to use it both ways. Im surprised you didnt mention the e17? I thought it was portable and had usb. no batteries? 

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #32 of 190
Quote:
Hi All

I'm thinking to get an new pair of in-ear headphones. I've got now a-jays which cost about 20 Euros here in France ( about 30$ ) they're well  known godd products in this price range.  but I would like to upgrade in order to approach as near as possible the sound quality of my home equipment ( Ultrasone HFI-2400 and Vintage AKG K242 sextett amped by an asgard and/or Fiio e17 ) .

I use iem in public transports, in holidays and when I travel. So my IEM must be rock solid and/or have a rock solid travel case.

I think to spend no more to 150$ and would very pleased to get approximatively the same sound signature than my Ultrasone ( Good bass but not overwhelming , clarity and details , good soundstage ) .. I listen to mainly instrumental music so mids aren't my priority.

I'm thinking to Shure se215. They're well reviewed everywhere.  Is this a good idea ? Other good option to consider ?

Why would you not put priority on mids, when you listen to mainly instrumental music? The bulk of instruments (excluding drums, high pitched stuff) are reproduced in the midrange.

Shure SE215s have good mids, a solid performer. Also look into the GR07, PFE122, FXT90. Also the TF10 if you really think you want that v-shaped signature.

Oct 20, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #33 of 190
Im surprised you didnt mention the e17? I thought it was portable and had usb. no batteries? 

I usually say get a "transportable" dac/amp like the e10 or the JDS labs dac/amp o2 combo. Then get the e11 for portable for a couple of reasons.

It is more convenient to just have your amp sitting on your desk waiting and leave the other one in your bag or wherever for one. 2nd the e11 is more than 30pct more powerful than the E17. 3rd I don't like recommending things I haven't tried and i haven't tried the e17. But to me having a dedicated amp for both purposes is more convenient like i said and the cost is about the same if you go E10+E11. I would also recommend looking at the E6 for portability . It actually will power the K550 real nicely. In fact I am going to try if for you in a little bit to see if I get the same positive results that I am getting from the E11.

If your portable device is an ipod or iphone for sure get an LOD cable for your portable amp.

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #34 of 190
Quote:
Why would you not put priority on mids, when you listen to mainly instrumental music? The bulk of instruments (excluding drums, high pitched stuff) are reproduced in the midrange.

Shure SE215s have good mids, a solid performer. Also look into the GR07, PFE122, FXT90. Also the TF10 if you really think you want that v-shaped signature.

I should have said "mids are not a priority AND I listen mainly instrumental" :wink: .. cause I know my tastes and I'm all but a midhead :wink: .. more basshead I think ..Don't forget my english is far form perfection
biggrin.gif

Thanks for advices :) ..

Oct 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #35 of 190
Quote:
I usually say get a "transportable" dac/amp like the e10 or the JDS labs dac/amp o2 combo. Then get the e11 for portable for a couple of reasons.
It is more convenient to just have your amp sitting on your desk waiting and leave the other one in your bag or wherever for one. 2nd the e11 is more than 30pct more powerful than the E17. 3rd I don't like recommending things I haven't tried and i haven't tried the e17. But to me having a dedicated amp for both purposes is more convenient like i said and the cost is about the same if you go E10+E11. I would also recommend looking at the E6 for portability . It actually will power the K550 real nicely. In fact I am going to try if for you in a little bit to see if I get the same positive results that I am getting from the E11.
If your portable device is an ipod or iphone for sure get an LOD cable for your portable amp.

ok, that makes sense to me. so let me get this straight.youre recommending e10 "for transportable" and e11 or e6 for my laptop?
yes, please let me know which you like better so I can order my new toys. the anticipation is starting to wear on me. :)

oh and im not sure what an "LOD cable" is?

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #36 of 190
ok, that makes sense to me. so let me get this straight.youre recommending e10 "for transportable" and e11 or e6 for my laptop?

yes, please let me know which you like better so I can order my new toys. the anticipation is starting to wear on me. :)

oh and im not sure what an "LOD cable" is?

No opposite. Transportable meaning you can unplug it and use it easily somewhere else but is basically a stationary unit. E10.

Portable meaning has batteries and is designed to be used with an ipod for example or other digital media player. E11

A lod is a "line out dock". Takes the line out of your idevice and bypasses the inferior internal amp circuit of an ipod for example. Search the fiio L3 cable. It is an entry level lod cable. 10 bucks.

Lod cable:

fiio-l3-0-800x600.jpg

You should buy fiio from miccastore.com. So u dont get fake fiio products. Or b&hphotovideo.

Sorry typing on ipad :)

P.s. tried the fiio e6 amp with k550. One setting was close to e11 sound i was getting but a little slower on the bass. Stick with e11 for better results.

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #37 of 190
Quote:
No opposite. Transportable meaning you can unplug it and use it easily somewhere else but is basically a stationary unit. E10.
Portable meaning has batteries and is designed to be used with an ipod for example or other digital media player. E11
A lod is a "line out dock". Takes the line out of your idevice and bypasses the inferior internal amp circuit of an ipod for example. Search the fiio L3 cable. It is an entry level lod cable. 10 bucks.
Lod cable:

You should buy fiio from miccastore.com. So u dont get fake fiio products. Or b&hphotovideo.
Sorry typing on ipad
smily_headphones1.gif

P.s. tried the fiio e6 amp with k550. One setting was close to e11 sound i was getting but a little slower on the bass. Stick with e11 for better results.

awesome thanks. so e10 and e11 it is then. I run android so... no LOD for me.  I wish the other forum would answer my question so I can buy something. >< If it takes much longer I may just go with the K550 or maybe the 770 pro. ahh crap. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #38 of 190
I'm looking for new pair since my old ones snapped (Ah well).

What I'm really looking for are somewhat portable, yet durable headphones in the 50-75$ range. As long as they don't snap instantly, nor are too bulky, that's fine. Comfortability is needed but isn't a high priority. I do love me some bass, and listen to music that involves a lot of it. (Dubstep, glitch hop, DnB, electro)

I'd look for one myself, but from what I've been told, the stretche's sound quality isn't exactly the best or top notch. I've heard mixed reviews from their too bassy or having non existant bass. On my phone, the music admittedly sounds a bit lacking and hollow, but on my laptop with Beats Audio (Don't hate on me it was a good deal), it seemingly be it not the placebo effect sounded great if all the bass settings were turned up. What I'm asking is, are the stretch's bass levels subpar, or overpowering? Will a person like me who listens to lots of bass heavy music mind some kind of headphones that aren't as bass heavy?

I was thinking these. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MEElectronics+-+Armature+Series+A151+Earbud+Headphones+-+Black/Chrome/3496985.p?id=1218406268547&skuId=3496985
(Yes its best buy, I have a warranty on the broken ones from there) Although I like over ear or on ear headphones better, this seems like a good match?

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #40 of 190
Any recommendations for someone who wants a detailed IEM and/or full size headphone in any price range under $100. 
Currently, I have an iPhone 4S, Miles Davis Tributes. I really like the Tributes, but I would like a more detailed (clarity and flat response) IEM. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #41 of 190
Quote:
Any recommendations for someone who wants a detailed IEM and/or full size headphone in any price range under $400. 
Currently, I have an iPhone 4S, Miles Davis Tributes, Klipsch X10s and Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10. I really like the Tributes, but I would like a more detailed (clarity and flat response) IEM. 
I have just bought an 80 GB iPod 5.5 Gen Classic and also would like some amp recommendations (under $100, preferably cheap) 
Thanks for the help!

Nice username!

I'd recommend the Vsonic GR07 MK2. It'll be a good compromise between the clarity you want, while retaining great sub-bass response.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #42 of 190
Quote:
Any recommendations for someone who wants a detailed IEM and/or full size headphone in any price range under $400. 
Currently, I have an iPhone 4S, Miles Davis Tributes, Klipsch X10s and Ultimate Ears Triplefi 10. I really like the Tributes, but I would like a more detailed (clarity and flat response) IEM. 
I have just bought an 80 GB iPod 5.5 Gen Classic and also would like some amp recommendations (under $100, preferably cheap) 
Thanks for the help!

For IEMs, the EX1000 are generally well regarded for detail. ER4s are also focused on being as detailed and clear as possible. Still my go-to reference for brutally clear sound (not in the sibiliant sense). For under $100, the only really good and popular options that come to mind are the FiiO E11, CMoy. If you can stretch that budget a tiny bit, the upcoming E12 would be something to look at as well.

Quote:
I'm looking for new pair since my old ones snapped (Ah well).

What I'm really looking for are somewhat portable, yet durable headphones in the 50-75$ range. As long as they don't snap instantly, nor are too bulky, that's fine. Comfortability is needed but isn't a high priority. I do love me some bass, and listen to music that involves a lot of it. (Dubstep, glitch hop, DnB, electro)

I'd look for one myself, but from what I've been told, the stretche's sound quality isn't exactly the best or top notch. I've heard mixed reviews from their too bassy or having non existant bass. On my phone, the music admittedly sounds a bit lacking and hollow, but on my laptop with Beats Audio (Don't hate on me it was a good deal), it seemingly be it not the placebo effect sounded great if all the bass settings were turned up. What I'm asking is, are the stretch's bass levels subpar, or overpowering? Will a person like me who listens to lots of bass heavy music mind some kind of headphones that aren't as bass heavy?

I was thinking these. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/MEElectronics+-+Armature+Series+A151+Earbud+Headphones+-+Black/Chrome/3496985.p?id=1218406268547&skuId=3496985
(Yes its best buy, I have a warranty on the broken ones from there) Although I like over ear or on ear headphones better, this seems like a good match?

IEMs wise, GR02 Bass, Eternas, are good bassy choices. Haven't heard much in that price range though. For portable cans, the DJ100s are quite popular, though I haven't heard them. I really liked the HP700 for electronic music though. Have not heard the MEElectronics, but maybe take a gander at ljokerl's review on them for a better idea. 

Quote:
Would you guys consider the Brainwavz B2 or Vsonic Gr06 sibilant?

B2, slightly more than the GR06, which are not sibilant at all.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #43 of 190
Thanks for the reply, but about the B2s, is it heavily noticeable like the Image S4s, or is it only if the music is loud and the sibilance is very minor, only noticeable when listening to it (ex. Linkin Park - Shadow of the Day, whenever Chester makes a sss). Also, which pair of headphones would you find more suitable for something like Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella, Feint - Laurence, Nujabes - Omnipresence, a few songs from Linkin Park, Two Steps From Hell or other epic soundtracks, and basically any other genre of music (but focus more on post-rock, classical, jazz, melodic D&B, electronic, instrumental and the ones said before) comparing anything less than $120 if possible. I do have my focus on the B2s since they are on sale for $100.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #44 of 190
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but about the B2s, is it heavily noticeable like the Image S4s, or is it only if the music is loud and the sibilance is very minor, only noticeable when listening to it (ex. Linkin Park - Shadow of the Day, whenever Chester makes a sss). Also, which pair of headphones would you find more suitable for something like Kashiwa Daisuke - Stella, Feint - Laurence, Nujabes - Omnipresence, a few songs from Linkin Park, Two Steps From Hell or other epic soundtracks, and basically any other genre of music (but focus more on post-rock, classical, jazz, melodic D&B, electronic, instrumental and the ones said before) comparing anything less than $120 if possible. I do have my focus on the B2s since they are on sale for $100.

The B2s are very brutal on recordings, so while they don't necessary add sibilance, but they do bring out any present. In the end, they didn't have the fit or build on my Etys, so that might be something to consider. Although, at $99 in Canada (Headphone Bar), which is the cheapest you'll find them, it's way too tempting to not pass up on these. I might even get another pair myself. Have not heard any of the songs above apart from Nujabes and Daisuke (have all their albums). Nujabe's stuff tends to be quite warm and lush sounding, so there wouldn't be any sibilance, even on sibilant headphones. Stella and April.#02 already sound a bit harsh on any good revealing phone, so can't avoid sibilance there. I would definitely suggest the B2s for post-rock and classical, their quickness lends itself nicely to stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back