Portable Headphones or IEMs for use at the gym?
Jun 25, 2010 at 7:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kooper

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Looking to get some headphones I can use at the gym without them falling out. I've had a bad history of earbud headphones in the past (standard ipod buds simply cannot stay in my ears even when walking, oh the frustration!).

I'm going to be doing a lot of movement. Running, biking, ect. so I need to find something that'll stay in and potentially won't get tangled in equipment such as my bike or other things (though I wonder if there's magically a cable system that can acheive perfection in this way...)

I'd like to have good sound quality, but I don't want to break the bank on this, my wallet in hurting right now, so the best bang for my buck quality/fit wise is what I'm looking for.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Jun 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 11
Jun 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 11
For moving about you probably want the Meelectronics M6. The memory wire and ergonomic shape do a pretty good job of keeping them secure once you get used to the fit.

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 11
I actually prefer Shures for working out. I typically shy away from using my SE535s as I'm worried that sweat would get into them, so I just picked up a set of SE115s (my SE110s kick the bucket after a few years of exclusively working out).

They stay in snug and don't come loose and the cables have ZERO microphonics. And they sound really nice.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 11
I've been using Etymotic at the gym for the last ten years.  First the 6's and then the 4s for the last few years.  Isolation is key for me and the Ety's (with Comply tips) are the best.  Cable noise is a problem but I run the cable under my shirt and then use a small binder clip (like you have at the office) to clip to my shirt.  The cables are incredibly resistant to sweat.  I do wipe them down occasionally but they haven't hardened up from the sweat as my Yuin PK's have.  Warning, they do need an amp for full enjoyment.  I just have a small belt pack with my Fuze and amp.

Jul 14, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #8 of 11
I have had to have IEM mushroom tips extracted from my ears too many times. And the sweat degrades components, including foamies and cables. So after several years of epic fail, I've gone to cheap ($5-10) open-airs at the gym -- even though I have expensive custom IEMs (Sensaphonics) that I love. The sound quality on a cheap set isn't great, but I won't care when they die.

My $5 Koss dynamics are there to fail. And have actually survived into their 2nd year. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
I have had to have IEM mushroom tips extracted from my ears too many times. And the sweat degrades components, including foamies and cables. So after several years of epic fail, I've gone to cheap ($5-10) open-airs at the gym -- even though I have expensive custom IEMs (Sensaphonics) that I love. The sound quality on a cheap set isn't great, but I won't care when they die.

My $5 Koss dynamics are there to fail. And have actually survived into their 2nd year. 

Jack!  You NEED to check out our headphones.  You don't have to sacrifice sound quality to get headphones that will survive your workout!  Just go waterproof...waterproof means sweatproof too...

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 11
I've been using my E4c's for years! Rock solid & tough. I have comply or olives and I change them often. Never had an issue. Durable cable. Sound is good enough for the gym.
Of course I'll be tempted to bring my SE535's there on Monday when they're delivered.
wink_face.gif

shane

Jul 15, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Jack!  You NEED to check out our headphones.  You don't have to sacrifice sound quality to get headphones that will survive your workout!  Just go waterproof...waterproof means sweatproof too...

Interesting. Could you send me a set to test?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back