Portable headphone amp needed for EDM production! Please help!
Jul 11, 2012 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MoeFizzy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a pair of AKG K240 MK-II's. I like them so far for music production (mainly trance music), except it's really annoying because they don't go up to the loudness I need to produce properly. I've read quite a few of the threads in here about this stuff, but have't gotten a direct answer out of all of this, especially because most threads I read were about people using specific sound cards, requiring the headphone amps for purposes other than music production, amps that were out of my budget, or non portable amps.

I'm using my Toshiba C660-20T laptop, which I believe has an NVIDIA sound card (not sure which model though), and I also have an external Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 sound card (bought before I started producing), which also has a volume limit if I use them with the AKG's (I tried). Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction as I'm looking for a headphone amp that would preferable be around $50 (all I can spend at the moment), for music production (so a flat frequency response is needed/no coloration) and would work well with my AKG's which have an impedance of 55 ohms. Would appreciate ANY input!

Thanks guys :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I live in Canada, so if there are options at online (Canadian) stores, then that would work too (I heard they're usually cheaper there). Also, I have people talking about the Behringer HA400, the Fiio E5, and the E6 as well. Again, asking for other options so please steer me in the right direction.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 6
Welcome to the forums! :)

So you're in a pretty interesting spot. Under $50, the only portable amp I really know of is the Fiio E6. However, bump your budget up $10, and you've got a wide array of options. The E11 and cMOYBB are both very solid, and should suit your purposes. You might take a quick look here.

http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

Hope I helped!

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:
Welcome to the forums! :)

So you're in a pretty interesting spot. Under $50, the only portable amp I really know of is the Fiio E6. However, bump your budget up $10, and you've got a wide array of options. The E11 and cMOYBB are both very solid, and should suit your purposes. You might take a quick look here.

http://www.headfonia.com/music-on-a-budget-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout/

Hope I helped!

Thanks man!

Thanks for the reply man, I'll check out your link, the $10 bump is possible I guess, but I guess I can wait a few more days. Thanks again!

If anyone else has any input, please share!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back