Portable headgear - B&W p5 or better
Jul 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

DevilGin

Head-Fier
I am currently asking for expertise in portable headphones. I have been looking at the P5s for comfort, Is there any headphones similar to comfort aswell, I'm taking a flight in a few days so duty free prices are present. Thank you

Music:

Metal
Drum&bass
Rock

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 27
I have a pair of the P5's. They are pretty comfortable, but they are still supra-aural, so they do press on your ears and if you wear glasses can still get a little uncomfortable after a while.

A good headphone that is comfortable was the Sony ZX700, which sound a little bit like the P5's, but a tad less dark, better bass extension and a bit of an edge to the sound. The cups go around the ear and while I can't vouch for long term comfort, the few times I've tried them I've found them as comfortable as the P5's.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #4 of 27
I need some portables for a long haul flight too.  I will be using an unamped iPhone with mp3's ripped at 320kbps CBR Lame.

Are there any on-ear phones that provide additional bass like IE8's or Beats Pro's (I have owned both)?

Not an audiophile by any means so not looking for any phones with a flat response.

Was looking to purchase AKG 450's but although from reviews they appear to be a great all round headphone for the price and have emphasised bass and extra volume, reviews also suggest that they sound a bit muddy on the mids/highs, which might not be good for a lot of the music I listen to (mainly indie and alternative plus some hip-hop and electronic music)

I love the design of the P5's but I don't think I would be happy with no extra kick bass-wise.  How to the Beyer T50P's compare?

I have already owned IE8's and found that they were great for bass but not ideal for indie music, which sounded muddy through the iPhone. Also, whilst I couldn't fault the build and sound quality of the IE8's, the mids and highs did no justice to most of the indie/rock music in my collection, plus the detachable ear-hooks regularly got on my nerves when the cable would come unattached.

I suppose if I was to buy another set of in-ears, I would look towards W3's, FX700's or SE535's, but I am really hoping to purchase on-ears that can stay on my neck all the time whilst travelling

Not interested in Beats Solo's, and I tried Bose OE's in my local Comet store through my iPhone and the volume is not that loud, which is a shame as the audio quality seemed quite good across the spectrum of music I listen to. Anyone know if the QC3's any louder than the OE's? (I realise most people here aren't fans of Bose but if they fit the bill for long haul flights/travelling then that's cool with me).

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Jul 24, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 27
Reviews for HD25-II's are really positive on Amazon and seem to fit the bill.

Do the cups fold flat when wearing around the neck? I have a shortish neck and worried that the cups will stick into my chin if they don't fold flat when not listening to music.

Main reason for getting on-ears are for portability so I don't have to take them off.

What's your experience with wearing these around the neck?

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 27

Get the Sennheiser HD25-II and thank me later. It is the best portable headphone for rock/metal and electronic dance music.

Unfortunetly I tried them and they don't fit on my head (I have alot of hair and a rather weirdly shaped skull ) I don't get a proper seal which is really lame.

I was looking at the m50 but they are rather large for my
Liking which is kinda annoying.

Im not really interested in IEMs. Thank you

Jul 24, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 27

Quote:
The HD25 cups don't fold flat, but they are pretty small.

I think you would be fine unless you are Barney Rubble!

[size=medium]
Lol - Beat Pro's pushed into my chin but the cups were substantially bigger I suppose.

Will go on a hunt to find some HD25's locally to try b4 I buy
[/size]

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 27
I'm sure that I'll get murdered for this but I would recommend Skullcandy aviators if you are looking for comfort. They are pretty light and have a nice padded headband. They don't pinch and the over the ear cups are nicely padded as well. I have been testing out different phones using a couple of songs in particular some dance and rock songs and the Skullcandies honestly sound better than the P5 with more clarity throughout the range. Thy have good bass but the mid and high synth effects come through very clearly as well. I have checked them out multiple times just to be sure that I'm hearing what I'm hearing and every time I'm surprised. I have done a/b comparisons against available 'phones including Beats, the new Klipsch headphones, Phiaton MS 300, B&W p5, and Grado SR 60. The Grado's sound the best but lack a little bass and they are open so not good for travel. The Phiatons sound great but lack a little bass (a known issue solved by getting the MS 400 instead). after that come the Skullcandies which for all around sound and because they are closed are probably my next pair of cans. The Klipsch and B&W are both disappointing. I really really REALLY wanted the B&W but the sound from them sucks.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #12 of 27
The DT1350 or T50p are very good sounding( more detailed than P5) on ear pairs with good bass response but if you want more bass then add ZO(bass enhancer) in the chain and it will improve bass naturaly and significantly. But both beyerdynamic on ear headphones are highely recommended because they very revealing, yet fun to listen and mainting balance with good bass response.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #13 of 27
Actually from what ive read the skullcandy aviators are a pretty good headphone.  They are supposedly skullcandy's first venture into real hifi.  I actually compared the skullcandys against the p5's and Klipsch image ones.  I was pretty surprised that both the 150 dollar klipsch and the skullcandy sounded better to me than the 300 dollar p5.  I would recommend the klpisch image one out of this group.  I used to have a pair and like I said, they were a great headphone for the price.  What I personally loved is that they are supposed to be on ear, but they fit completely around my ear which made them super comfy, and I have normal sized ears.  Also heard great things about the hd 25 too.  Hope this helps.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Get the Sennheiser HD25-II and thank me later. It is the best portable headphone for rock/metal and electronic dance music.

If you can get a good fit (try spliting the headband) this with velour pads are comfortable, but the fit vary for each head, they are the best portables ive own.

Quote:

Unfortunetly I tried them and they don't fit on my head (I have alot of hair and a rather weirdly shaped skull ) I don't get a proper seal which is really lame.

I was looking at the m50 but they are rather large for my
Liking which is kinda annoying.

Im not really interested in IEMs. Thank you

Agree on the M50, rather bulky, and I wasnt a fan of the sound.

Quote:
The DT1350 or T50p are very good sounding( more detailed than P5) on ear pairs with good bass response but if you want more bass then add ZO(bass enhancer) in the chain and it will improve bass naturaly and significantly. But both beyerdynamic on ear headphones are highely recommended because they very revealing, yet fun to listen and mainting balance with good bass response.

gonna have to disagree with you, the DT1350 has a lot of pros but fun aint one, the fit is even mroe picky than the HD25, and the DT1350 sure dont have the HD25 bass, coming from HD25 or M50 the DT1350 would feel anemic in the bass. it is detailed and accurate, but in a very small quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back