Portable DAP With Digital Output????
Sep 25, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:
I think you have two option like either use D10 AMPs section only when hook up with DAPs( like Sony walkmen with WM-Port has line out signal, S:Flo2, iPods)  or buy DAP/Phone to hook up D10 via USB like Samsung Galaxy S III (install Googles jealy bean OS), Nokia N9.

How did u get digital out from ur N9? I have one but i had no idea it has digital out. IMO the internal dac and amp is crap :/

Sep 25, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:
Well, Best Buy had the Samsung S3 on sale for $149 so I went ahead and got it.  I also ordered an OTG from Monoprice and if what I've read is correct I should be able to get optical audio out of the S3 using an OTG cable.  We'll see in a couple of days.

Wouldn't that give you a USB audio connection though, rather than an optical connection? It should work with some USB DACs (but not all) so it's still useful, just not as universal as an actual toslink or coax SPDIF connection would be. 

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Wouldn't that give you a USB audio connection though, rather than an optical connection? It should work with some USB DACs (but not all) so it's still useful, just not as universal as an actual toslink or coax SPDIF connection would be. 

As long as I get the digital audio signal out I'm happy...and hopefully the OTG cable will give me that.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:
As long as I get the digital audio signal out I'm happy...and hopefully the OTG cable will give me that.

Cool, let us know how it goes. I'm curious about which DACs it works with and what sample rates it supports. Can your SG3 play hi-res flac files natively?

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Cool, let us know how it goes. I'm curious about which DACs it works with and what sample rates it supports. Can your SG3 play hi-res flac files natively?

I just received a Micro USB OTG Adapter and a 1.5ft USB 2.0 A Male to Mini-B 5pin from Monoprice, hooked the iBasso D10 and Samsung s3 up and I was in audio heaven. I wasn't sure it was going to be so easy as just plugging everything together but thats all I had to do.  I'm now getting the digital audio out of the S3 into the D10.

I am not sure what the definition of hi-res flac is but the S3 has played every flac file I threw at it and, as far as I know, I copied them all at the highest possible quality using Exact Audio Copy.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:
Well that's good. I need to get one of those cables and try it with the Meizu MX 4-core. The price sure is right.
Hi res FLAC means 24-bit and generally sample rates above the usual 44.1kHz. Usually you buy these from places like HDtracks, so you'd know if you had some.

I had a few tracks from HDtracks which I tried on the S3.  It will play them with PowerAmp but there is some distortion that sounds kind of like static or high frequency clicking. Its not clipping but I get it through the D10 or directly from the S3 speaker.  I will try a couple of different players and see if that makes a difference.  I'll report back.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #23 of 25
Just a followup for those who may have an S3 and are interested in this topic. 

Most of my ripped CDs are FLAC at a high rate (whatever Exact Audio Copy has for default).  On an intermittent basis the S3 would give me a clicking/popping noise....appeared to not quite have the capacity to move the bitstream fast enough the whole time.

The default SD card read/write speed on the S3 is 128kb and I believe that was the bottleneck.  I rooted the phone, installed SD Speed Increase, and upped the SD read/write speed to 2048kb. Now it handles my personal rips just fine but will still not play the HDTracks.  The FLACs are on a new microSDHC UHS-1 card so I doubt the speed of the card is a problem, however, I still plan to test it to make sure this is the case.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:
Just a followup for those who may have an S3 and are interested in this topic. 

Most of my ripped CDs are FLAC at a high rate (whatever Exact Audio Copy has for default).  On an intermittent basis the S3 would give me a clicking/popping noise....appeared to not quite have the capacity to move the bitstream fast enough the whole time.

The default SD card read/write speed on the S3 is 128kb and I believe that was the bottleneck.  I rooted the phone, installed SD Speed Increase, and upped the SD read/write speed to 2048kb. Now it handles my personal rips just fine but will still not play the HDTracks.  The FLACs are on a new microSDHC UHS-1 card so I doubt the speed of the card is a problem, however, I still plan to test it to make sure this is the case.

I made an error here.  It not the read/write speed that's 128kb, it the cache. So SD Speed Increase changes the size of the cache.  There is also another app called SD Booster that does the same thing.

May 1, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #25 of 25
Great job you do here chinook9. I wonder why so few interested in your topic. This is so heaven if i can get the S3 play Flac and has digital out. I just buy Onkyo PM9050 and it has integrated DAC. Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back