Portable closed full size headphones for beginner 250$
Sep 17, 2012 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mekka

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I signed in as I couldn't find enough information in my country.
So, here's the thing. Until today, I've been listening to music with Koss Porta Pro. It's a bang for the buck but when I'm listening to other cans, it's crap... So, now I'd like to make one step further.
I listen to classical rock music, hard rock, a bit of metal and new age. So I guess that flat response headphones is right for me. I will use these at home and in transports, mainly planes, so I prefer closed cans, with weak leakage and good isolation. The source will be either iPhone4, iPad 3 or my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy S2. My budget is not well defined, let's say around 250 $. I'm OK if an amp is required (Fiio E11 for instance, yet to buy).
What's your favorite in this configuration ? I've been leaning toward ATH M50, but I'm a bit reluctant because of the V sig I see in reviews.

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
Hi everybody,
I signed in as I couldn't find enough information in my country.
So, here's the thing. Until today, I've been listening to music with Koss Porta Pro. It's a bang for the buck but when I'm listening to other cans, it's crap... So, now I'd like to make one step further.
I listen to classical rock music, hard rock, a bit of metal and new age. So I guess that flat response headphones is right for me. I will use these at home and in transports, mainly planes, so I prefer closed cans, with weak leakage and good isolation. The source will be either iPhone4, iPad 3 or my current phone, a Samsung Galaxy S2. My budget is not well defined, let's say around 250 $. I'm OK if an amp is required (Fiio E11 for instance, yet to buy).
What's your favorite in this configuration ? I've been leaning toward ATH M50, but I'm a bit reluctant because of the V sig I see in reviews.
Thanks.

Beyer Dynamics DT 1350
Sennheiser HD-25 II
Vmoda m80

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 14
dont buy yet and save a bit more money and once all those new circumaural (over-ear) portable headphones are released, then start reading reviews or demo it in a store so that you can decide on one.

Sep 18, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #7 of 14
Closed portable over ears have not a had a lot of good options until recently so I would wait a bit if I were you. The Sennheiser Momentum are just getting released and look very good. Vmoda M100 are just getting released and so are Sony MDR-1R. Otherwise. You looking at on ear or less portable options.

One option on the lower price range end is the Sony ZX700 which also has an iPhone model. But all the new models coming out have replaceable cables and will definitely sound better.

Sep 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Closed portable over ears have not a had a lot of good options until recently so I would wait a bit if I were you. The Sennheiser Momentum are just getting released and look very good. Vmoda M100 are just getting released and so are Sony MDR-1R. Otherwise. You looking at on ear or less portable options.
One option on the lower price range end is the Sony ZX700 which also has an iPhone model. But all the new models coming out have replaceable cables and will definitely sound better.

OK, given the fact you're the second one to say this, I guess that I have to wait...

Today, I've done some research... I saw the SRH-940, which sounds really good, even un-amped. But reviews here say they're are not the very right choice for rock. They seem just "capable". I also see you own them, and have an iPhone as a source, like me. What can you tell me about them ?

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 14
I think they are awesome for rock but they are quite large and their cable is way to long for comfortable portable use. Also my pair is going in for repairs as the head strap has broken at one of the cups due to stress fractures which is a documented issue. So while I enjoyed them musically I can't really recommend them. They are comfortably driven by my iPhone. Unfortunately the SRH-840 is not and is again pretty large and has the same cable issues.

Sep 18, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 14
i agree with dweaver. Those are all exciting models coming out soon.

You could consider getting these in the mean time:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BAKTFO/?tag=hyprod-20&hvadid=15473413779&hvpos=1o2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16917679851590621063&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B001BAKTFO

They are not the most beautiful thing and aren't quite over ear but there is a thread on those being real sleepers (prolly cuz of looks) and sounding very good for the money. The velour pads will feel nice for an on-ear model. You can rock those babies while you visit some stores to demo those new models as they get released. Could be a cheap hold-me-over while doing your search.

But to really answer your question, since all those companies are getting into this full sized portable market, there are prolly some real jewels about to hit the streets.

The only other one that i can think of (and again I haven't had a chance to audition these) are the vmoda crossfade LP.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 14
One I forgot mention that has just been released from Beyer Dynamic is the Custom Pro One listed at $199 on BH Photo. Take a look in the FS Headphone Section if your interested.

Sep 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 14
Oh I also forgot to mention the InCase Sonic which if you live in the US seems to go on sale from Woot for around $50 again look in the FS section for more details. This headphone actualy is supposed to sound not bad and is supposed to be really comfortable.

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 14
I also considered beyer's custom one , but reviews tend to describe them as bassy cans, even if they can be tuned by the holes system. May not be good for me, but they have great look, true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back