Portable/Battery powered amps with 1/4 inch jack
Sep 18, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #16 of 21
Hmmm..both sound like good options. I reckon I would need to try both out and see. The Alphas are pretty demanding and I'd hate to buy somethig only for it not to have enough juice.

Is there any good reason to wait to the Black Friday sales? Hopefully the American Head-Fiers would know a little about that.

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #17 of 21
Hmmm..both sound like good options. I reckon I would need to try both out and see. The Alphas are pretty demanding and I'd hate to buy somethig only for it not to have enough juice.

Is there any good reason to wait to the Black Friday sales? Hopefully the American Head-Fiers would know a little about that.

If I were you:

Since you already have a set of FiiO X3 which uses a decently good DAC, WM8740 and plays up to 192/24. I don't see the need of upgrading the DAC. I will just get a 1/4 jack for the Alpha Dog. You will have a wider choice if you were to go for 1/4 jack.

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #18 of 21
Yeh, you're probably right. I need to get over my obsession for 1/4 inch compliant amps. Haha

If you were just talking pure portable amps, say below $7-800, to pair with Alpha Dogs what would you recommend then?

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #19 of 21
I have never tried the Alpha Dog myself but do look into the PortaTube amp or you can search around "Picture Of Your Portable Rig" threads for ideas.

Gentle warning before visiting it: TONS OF MIND-BLOWING RIGS
Especially King Rudi's rig.

Sep 19, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #20 of 21
The portatube doesn't quite have enough power for orthos IME.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back