Portable/Battery powered amps with 1/4 inch jack
Sep 13, 2014 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MrWong

Head-Fier
Hi all

I've done a quick search and don't think there is any thread which specifically discusses portable/battery powered amps (emphasis on portable) with 1/4 inch headphone jacks.  So starting one up or alternatively if someone could point me in the right direction?

Reason being, is I have a pair of Alpha Dogs and would like to take them on the road.

So here's the requirements:

- Must be portable
- Can be a proper headphone amp that is battery powered, ala the Red Wine Audio amps
- Must be relatively powerful. The Dogs aren't the easiest to run. My Fiio x3 struggles badly.

My own research has only led me to the Centrance Hifi M8 and the Red Wine Audio Cassabria.

Thanks!

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 21
Just use something like a cardas, grado or sennheiser 6.3mm female to 3.5mm male pigtail lead or DiY your own.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 21
Yeh, I considered that but I'd prefer a proper 1/4inch headphone jack. Hence why I said I'd also consider proper amplifiers that run off battery.

I guess the pigtail lead would be of last resort at this point in time.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 21
Micro iDSD perhaps, not many options available.

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 21
I haven't tried them personally as the only portable amp with a 1/4 inch jack I've tried is the GoVibe PortaTube and that probably won't have the grunt for a pair of orthos. The website does put the iDSD forward as having a massive amount of power output but again, no personal experience so I can't verify this. BillsonChang007 (tagging doesn't seem to work) does personally own it and uses it with a pair of AKG K702s so shoot him a PM and he'll be able to provide more useful information than I ever will.

Sep 15, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #7 of 21
Hello everyone!

Thank you BucketInABucket for the mention and MrWong for the PM! 

It's hard to find a PORTABLE headphone amplifier with 1/4 jacks, but there are a few and the Micro iDSD is one of them + loaded with tons of power [4 000mW @ 16Ohm in turbo mode]. 

Load wise, the Micro iDSD will for sure have enough power to drive the Alpha Dog but to use it as a standalone amplifier, it is sort of waste since the Micro iDSD's DAC is more amazing than the built in amplifier. The built in amplifier SQ wise, is good, but I personally like the FiiO E09K better [but I sold the E09K because the difference wasn't a huge margin and I am thinking of tubes for my set up]. As a standalone amp, the Micro iDSD offer decently wide soundstage [especially with the 3D flipped on] but at times, the bass can sound slightly lean which you should not worry about since the Alpha Dog is pretty warm at the bottom. I would personally prefer to use the Micro iDSD as a comb DAC/amp as the duo DAC compliments the amplifier extremely well [match made in Heaven]. 

I have a friend who compared the iFi-Audio Micro iDSD to the Chord Hugo will post it here once I found it somewhere on the net. 

Hope it helps!
Billson 
smily_headphones1.gif

nanoevil [on IG]'s impression on Micro iDSD vs Chord Hugo with Alpha Dogs:
**iFi Micro's XBASS was turned off during the whole side by side process.
....[some few words with Audeze LCD 2.2]
Using the Mr.Speakers Alpha Dogs- a WHOLE different from what I heard in the first step [he meant the Audeze LCD2.2 if I am not mistaken]... sub and mids areas from the micro iDSD was very flat almost non existent specially during the drum roll near the intro of War Pigs.. very hard to feel bass presence and the body of the drums. Using the Hugo still gives you good sub and mid presence that you also feel with the LCD 2.2- Mids / Highs Hugo wins again. Vocals are cleaner on the Hugo but this time a bigger margin compared to the 1st setup (LCD2.2). You can feel the vocals open up more and its more airy. Better extensions on the mid/mid-highs are also present.

Verdict: If you are an Audeze LCD2.2 user you will only feel very minor advantages comparing the 2 amp /  DACs which means I would recommend the Micro iDSD more. On the other hand if you use the Alpha Dogs I will recommend the Hugo still for the price it beats the Micro iDSD in terms of overally tonality on all aspects. Maybe if I listened to the Micro iDSD with the XBASS on that could have compensated for the lacking / flat sub / mid when the Alpha Dogs was connected but I don't believe in boosting a few freqs to improve something that's not existent at basic configuration. Mids and mid-highs is where the Hugo shines and specially when you plug the Alpha Dogs in. 

MY THOUGHTS on the XBass: I personally find the Micro IDSD's XBass can be an obvious boost in the sub-bass region which I keep it on to compensate my AKG Annies and I find it useful even thought the bass boost is probably just about 2-3dB at most but its very useful with some of my test tracks. My friend did the comparison by both DAC/amp combo using coax out from his DX90. 

Things to note as well: If you can run DSD or convert MP3 to DSD 512 with Asio Driver on Foobar, that would be great! Because the filter switch to "Minimum Phase", the Micro iDSD makes whole lotta difference! Very smooth and no more "Digital" sound. 

Let me know if you need more help 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 21
Thanks Billson

I read your review. It was very helpful. Also read your friend's thoughts as well. Why was he comparing a 2k portable with the 5-600 iDSD? Would that be a fair comparison?

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks Billson

I read your review. It was very helpful. Also read your friend's thoughts as well. Why was he comparing a 2k portable with the 5-600 iDSD? Would that be a fair comparison?

No problem! 
beerchug.gif

It was a special request from some of us for a comparison between the Micro iDSD and Chord Hugo since to a certain extend, on paper, they compete fairly well. Apparently, the Micro iDSD has a better value in comparison 

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #12 of 21
Keep in mind that when driving orthos, high voltage might not get you the most of the AD, current is what you need when driving orthos to get them to shine.

The iDSD as billson said is a little pricy to use as a amp alone, and so is the M8, perhaps it would be cheaper to get a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter and a traditional portable amp?

Sep 17, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 21
I would use the DAC, currently using a Fiio x3, so I'm sure the DAC on the M8 or iDSD would be better. Although there are no possible connections between the M8 and the x3.

If I were to use a portable amp for the Alpha Dogs which would you suggest?

Sep 17, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #15 of 21
The. Micro iDSD supports DSD playback, charges your phone (4800 mAh built in battery, why not?), more powerful, dual DAC, more features to play with but one tiny lil draw back that iF is working for a fix. That would be, the "Bit-Perfect" filter causes hisses but the minimum phase works perfectly fine thought.

Not so sure about the Centrance thought.

Otherwise, you can get another cable for the Alpha Dog that ends with 1/4 jack and then get a set of PortaTube.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back