Portable amps and ATH-m50s
May 7, 2011 at 12:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Surag238

Head-Fier
First timer here.  I've been lurking recently because I realized I needed new headphones and I dont know who to trust for advice.  seems like people here know what they're talking about!  So thanks for existing.  haha.  

I just bought the ATH-m50s after returning my Klipsch image s4s. 

I loved the sound from the Klipsch but they tore at the sleeve and I was really really pissed that the build was so crappy after a month-Amazon was kind enough to accept them even though it was past the 30days -36th day.

How much different are these? Will the sounds be more full and will I hear the distinctiveness of classical music, and appreciate the thumping bass of rap? 

I liked the Klipsch because until then I had cheap skull candys.  But I could feel like the classical parts were not full-the strings were almost there but not quite for me.  The bass was not full but they are IEMs so I guess to be expected.  Also, I did not really enjoy the guitar riffs as they still sounded muddled like they did with cheap headphones.

Will these sound that much better than the Klipschs?  (If the klipsch's are significantly better than regular headphones can you say the quality difference is as stark with the m50s and Klipsch?)

Finally, I use these mainly with my PC with no soundcard (I used to have a extreme x-fi but it broke).  Should I get the portable amp then? 

Or is this only for iphone etc.  Also, does the fioo e5 come with an extra cord to connect it to the pc? If not, what do I need to buy then? I can only find cords to connect to the Iphone/pods.  Please help.

Thanks!

May 7, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 33
Personally, I feel that the S4 is overpriced. There is a lot of sibilance, bass is a little uncontrolled and drowns out the mids quite a bit.

With the M50s, you're getting less but more pronounced bass, more forward mid end and smooth highs. Perfect for anyone who "listens to everything".

May 7, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 33
What do you mean less bass? as in, less unnecessary bass or just less powerful? My assumption was that if I buy an overthehead larger pair of headphones they'll sound booming. 

Also, what about the  recommendation for portable amps? 

May 7, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 33

Quote:
What do you mean less bass? as in, less unnecessary bass or just less powerful? My assumption was that if I buy an overthehead larger pair of headphones they'll sound booming. 

Also, what about the  recommendation for portable amps? 

Erm... I guess you could say that the bass is of a lower quantity, but of a higher quality. If you want booming bass, try the Sony XB series headphones.

May 7, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 33
Will the quality of these match the m50 say for playing classical music, listening to jazz, or playing video games (where sound fidelity to hear footsteps, ambient noise, and rising score orchestral music is a must?)

How about the quality of soundtracks? 

May 7, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 33
Why are they horrendous for gaming? This is the first I've heard this.  What would you recommend for gaming that has the same quality or better than m50 for music?  Also the price cannot be higher than m50 unless its substantially better and then im willing to spend 20 bucks more.  m50 cost me 140. 

May 7, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 33
 ATH-AD700 are very popular for gaming.  

ATH-M50 is more geared  towards music, But maybe also be ok for gaming too (search hifi `ATH-M50 gaming` and `gaming headphones` for other opinions), a good all rounder for bass heads.

Fiio E7 is a simple amp/DAC for use with a pc. Another affordable brand is ibasso.

May 7, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #11 of 33
Thanks I saw that.  I think I like the ath m50 for gaming then (still haven't tried).....i bought the fiio e5 amp...they're very cheap and the bass should be loud yes? So if I'm in the mood for some heavy hip hop I can just use these instead of purchasing a sony xb700....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back