Portable amp with HIFIMAN players : is it necessary ?
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chris13

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I'm going to Jaben store, Singapore, in a few days to buy a hifiman player : don't know again if it will be HM-601 or HM-801. Given your experiences, would it be a good idea (in term of SQ improvement) to add a good portable amp to the players? Are the default HIFIMAN amps already good enough compared to Meier or RSA amps? Thanks

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 5
From what I have read, the big amp in the HM-801 (not the GAME amp) is very good for big cans, but the HM-601 falls a little short of the power needed to really push phones. Even the big amp in the 801 uis not as good as a top portable amp, as it is just a card and has space limitations. It really depends on what headphones you want to drive. If you have IEMs or portable phones, the built in amps are fine, but if you want to drive some big hard to drive cans, you should get a good separate amps.

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm happy with the way the 601 drives both a pair of HD650 and a pair of AH-D2000. I haven't yet compared with a portable amp (I have a Predator) because I'm happy with the way it sounds without one,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back