portable amp needed for Sony MDR-XB700 + iPhone 4S + Mac
Oct 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gizmokaka

New Head-Fier
get ready for another noob thread (thanks in advance)

I have a set of Sony MDR-XB700's. I've had them for about a year, and they already sound very crisp, but I've recently found out that I know next to nothing about headphones. I am looking for a portable amp that I will be able to use with both my iPhone 4S, and my MacBook Pro. I really tried hard to not start a new noob thread about this, but when I tried to find the answers on my own, I only got more confused.

My searching led me to the Fiio E series, between E6, E10 and E11, but then I started finding some very technical, spec-related threads, and got lost. If I understood correctly, I believe one of those amps is not compatible with an iPhone. I just need quick help selecting a portable amp that I can use on both my computer and iPhone, and any necessary cables that I would need to make this happen. Please help me!

Price range: somewhat flexible, but I'd obviously like to spend as little as possible, while still getting everything i need with good quality.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
get ready for another noob thread (thanks in advance)

I have a set of Sony MDR-XB700's. I've had them for about a year, and they already sound very crisp, but I've recently found out that I know next to nothing about headphones. I am looking for a portable amp that I will be able to use with both my iPhone 4S, and my MacBook Pro. I really tried hard to not start a new noob thread about this, but when I tried to find the answers on my own, I only got more confused.

My searching led me to the Fiio E series, between E6, E10 and E11, but then I started finding some very technical, spec-related threads, and got lost. If I understood correctly, I believe one of those amps is not compatible with an iPhone. I just need quick help selecting a portable amp that I can use on both my computer and iPhone, and any necessary cables that I would need to make this happen. Please help me!

Price range: somewhat flexible, but I'd obviously like to spend as little as possible, while still getting everything i need with good quality.

The Fiio E10 is a USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier, You can't use the E10 with the iPhone as the iPhone does not have a USB output.
The Sony XB700 are only 24-Ohm, they should work just fine plugged straight into the iPhone and Macbook Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back