1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

portable amp needed for Sony MDR-XB700 + iPhone 4S + Mac

Discussion in 'Portable Headphone Amps' started by gizmokaka, Oct 2, 2012.
  1. gizmokaka
    get ready for another noob thread (thanks in advance)

I have a set of Sony MDR-XB700's. I've had them for about a year, and they already sound very crisp, but I've recently found out that I know next to nothing about headphones. I am looking for a portable amp that I will be able to use with both my iPhone 4S, and my MacBook Pro. I really tried hard to not start a new noob thread about this, but when I tried to find the answers on my own, I only got more confused.

My searching led me to the Fiio E series, between E6, E10 and E11, but then I started finding some very technical, spec-related threads, and got lost. If I understood correctly, I believe one of those amps is not compatible with an iPhone. I just need quick help selecting a portable amp that I can use on both my computer and iPhone, and any necessary cables that I would need to make this happen. Please help me!

Price range: somewhat flexible, but I'd obviously like to spend as little as possible, while still getting everything i need with good quality.

2. PurpleAngel Contributor
    Quote:
    The Fiio E10 is a USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier, You can't use the E10 with the iPhone as the iPhone does not have a USB output.
    The Sony XB700 are only 24-Ohm, they should work just fine plugged straight into the iPhone and Macbook Pro.