Portable amp for Etymotic ER4S?
Sep 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #16 of 46
The Tommy is a good amp, it just can't swing as much voltage as the Arrow and the Arrow has a bass boost that the ER4S needs. BTW, I bought the Arrow specifically for my ER4S and ER4P.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #18 of 46
I was just comparing the Arrow with a TTVJ Hybrid on ER4S, the Hybrid is better specially in the midrange, less dry. The Arrow gets some congestion on complex areas (I already know this) but the Hybrid does not.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #19 of 46

Quote:
I was just comparing the Arrow with a TTVJ Hybrid on ER4S, the Hybrid is better specially in the midrange, less dry.

Now the TTVJ hybrid tube portable has always fascinated me but I just imagined it would not have enough power to drive the ER4S's. I would love to hear more of your thoughts on this amp with the etys please!

Sep 14, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #22 of 46
I already have a Pico, and from all the reads, Slim is just a little warmer. I've never owned/heard a Meier yet, Stepdance might be the first.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #23 of 46
Minibox-E+/ES is designed for ER4.  The ES version is just the E+ with different opamps, it's more of a different flavor so either ES or E+ will do. 

Also, the gain is fine with my RE252, RE0, and Turbine Pro Copper for normal listening.  No problems here, but for really low volume listening, you'll have to resort to using the 75-ohm switch with more sensitive headphones like the ones I mentioned.  The added impedance may affect the sound positively or negatively, depending on the headphone/earphone.  The Minibox should be hiss hell with 125 spl earphones.  The bass boost is really nice with certain opamps to boot.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #24 of 46
Thank you once again folks for all your suggestions!

So, I have narrowed it down to three!

First up is the RSA P51 Mustang, this was recommended by Ray in an email he sent to me, my only concern is the tiny size. I like to stack my amp under my ipod classic strapped together with a rubber band, has anyone done this, does it work OK?

The other RSA is the SR71A Black Bird. I sent Ray an email about that one but have not heard back from him yet. I would imagine like the P51 it has enough power though I am concerned as it seems from reading the threads to be a limited edition so I do not know if he has any left!

Last is the TTVJ Hybrid, there is something about Tubes that I love and this little portable reminds be of the nu-vista amps MF used to put out in the 90's Wuwhere said his has plenty of juice to power the ety's. The only problem is it seems not to be on TTVJ's site anymore and they are away at the moment due to a death in the family, though that is not a problem as I am waiting on the sale of a couple of items before I can go ahead and purchase anyway!

There is something though that  I really like about Ray's approach to audio, I feel that I would get something that would last me a very long time (I have no desire to go any further in the portable audio field, I was thinking about the JH set up but have let that one go now, I am very happy with the ety's!)

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated about the above mentioned amps!

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 46

Quote:
Thank you once again folks for all your suggestions!

So, I have narrowed it down to three!

First up is the RSA P51 Mustang, this was recommended by Ray in an email he sent to me, my only concern is the tiny size. I like to stack my amp under my ipod classic strapped together with a rubber band, has anyone done this, does it work OK?

The other RSA is the SR71A Black Bird. I sent Ray an email about that one but have not heard back from him yet. I would imagine like the P51 it has enough power though I am concerned as it seems from reading the threads to be a limited edition so I do not know if he has any left!

Last is the TTVJ Hybrid, there is something about Tubes that I love and this little portable reminds be of the nu-vista amps MF used to put out in the 90's Wuwhere said his has plenty of juice to power the ety's. The only problem is it seems not to be on TTVJ's site anymore and they are away at the moment due to a death in the family, though that is not a problem as I am waiting on the sale of a couple of items before I can go ahead and purchase anyway!

There is something though that  I really like about Ray's approach to audio, I feel that I would get something that would last me a very long time (I have no desire to go any further in the portable audio field, I was thinking about the JH set up but have let that one go now, I am very happy with the ety's!)

Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated about the above mentioned amps!

You should look at the TTVJ slim.  Most think it sounds better than the hybrid and it doesn't have microphonics when on the move.  Thus the hybrid is more transportable than portable in consideration.  So the Slim and the Arrow would be my main picks for form factor w/ an iPod.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #27 of 46
3 things to keep in mind:

- AFAIK, The SR-71A is NOT a limited edition model; RSA canceled the SR-71 (due to lack of parts).
- FWIR, the TTVJ Slim is a better amp overall (SQ, battery life, size, etc.) than the TTVJ Hybrid. The TTVJ Slim still has a "tubey" sound and is a little mid centric.
-If you want something that matches the size of your iPod Classic, you will need a slim-line LOD. Even this LOD will stick out. If you use a slim LOD with a small amp (ex. RSA P-51), the LOD will not stick out.

BTW, why RSA P-51? Why not get the Shadow? The Shadow has digital volume control. Do you prefer analogue?

Sep 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #28 of 46

Quote:
3 things to keep in mind:

- AFAIK, The SR-71A is NOT a limited edition model; RSA canceled the SR-71 (due to lack of parts).
- FWIR, the TTVJ Slim is a better amp overall (SQ, battery life, size, etc.) than the TTVJ Hybrid. The TTVJ Slim still has a "tubey" sound and is a little mid centric.
-If you want something that matches the size of your iPod Classic, you will need a slim-line LOD. Even this LOD will stick out. If you use a slim LOD with a small amp (ex. RSA P-51), the LOD will not stick out.

BTW, why RSA P-51? Why not get the Shadow? The Shadow has digital volume control. Do you prefer analogue?

Thanks for your advice. To be honest I never thought about the P51 until Ray suggested it as being a good match with enough power. The size of the amp is not of huge importance, the only reason I asked was to make sure the thing would not be too unstable when I rest it on a table (I do a large part of my listening in coffee shops where I write ideas for the books I am working on) At home I listen mainly in bed so the system is on the pillow next to me! I am used to the LOD sticking out so that is not a problem. Thank you for what you said about the SR71A as well. It is a bit more but seeing as this will be the last portable amp (waits for the knowing guffaws from the experienced!!) I get I do not mind spending a bit more. I read somewhere that the shadow does not have as much power, is that correct?

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #29 of 46
Im using GS Voyager with my ER4.. I just got it, have yet to burn it in, but I already like how it sounds with it without burning in. The bass is a good amount with a nice wide sound stage, hits the sweet spot. I don't quite like it with contour on though, the soundstage feels weird, though the punchier bass is great too.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #30 of 46
I just received my Stepdance and posted a brief post in the Stepdance appreciation thread.  I didn't post a review, but after having used the Headsix for a few years with the ER-4S and now thoroughly enjoying the Stepdance, it is a huge step up and I can't imagine anyone not being extremely happy with it at its price point...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back