Portable Amp for commuting use
Apr 19, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #17 of 23
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536982/leckerton-audio-slimline-uha-4

wink.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #18 of 23
Cool that you've decided on the 4G, if only for the confirmation bias for myself! is Rob still predicting a June completion for the 4G or will he be posting stuff out earlier?

On the LOD side of things, I have gone for pure silver, which is technically a better conductor than copper (but only marginally and by marginally, only just, but if you want best, it is best). But some people think with silver cables, there is too much treble perhaps after being used to copper, that is also why some LOD manufacturers have started using this "Mundorf Gold", which is silver mixed with 1% Gold (with gold actually being a vastly inferior conductor, it has worse conductivity to zinc and is not normally used for wiring) to take the edge off and make the sound more treble light and supposedly warmer sound.

In my view, silver plated copper is just default, as in, its just standard wire that exists commonly in the industry and the silver is there to prevent oxidisation, whilst some use this layer of silver as a marketing ploy. If you want a premium copper LOD, you could look at the stuff that's been cryoed but you will be paying for it and there's been very little fact based research into whether there is a significant audio difference from normal ultra pure copper to one that's been cryoed. ALO Audio do a pure cryoed copper cable for $85 (not including delivery).

But really what you are comparing is say a decent default LOD out of copper like a FiiO L3/ L9 for $15 and a silver one for $50-60.
Also, do be aware that LODs which work with old gen ipods may not work with new itouches/iphones, make sure they are using the new pin layout in their connectors.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #19 of 23
i didn't ask rob about the completion date, i only requested that i place the pre-order now and pay when the amp is ready for delivery.  That way if the amp is delayed beyond the predicted june date, i still have my money and won't be so anxious for them to ship the amp out.  I think its still a 3-4 week wait to get it from germany to USA

Thanks for the suggestions with the LOD cables, it is something that i have time to research into since the production date of the amp is june
Quote:
Cool that you've decided on the 4G, if only for the confirmation bias for myself! is Rob still predicting a June completion for the 4G or will he be posting stuff out earlier?

On the LOD side of things, I have gone for pure silver, which is technically a better conductor than copper (but only marginally and by marginally, only just, but if you want best, it is best). But some people think with silver cables, there is too much treble perhaps after being used to copper, that is also why some LOD manufacturers have started using this "Mundorf Gold", which is silver mixed with 1% Gold (with gold actually being a vastly inferior conductor, it has worse conductivity to zinc and is not normally used for wiring) to take the edge off and make the sound more treble light and supposedly warmer sound.

In my view, silver plated copper is just default, as in, its just standard wire that exists commonly in the industry and the silver is there to prevent oxidisation, whilst some use this layer of silver as a marketing ploy. If you want a premium copper LOD, you could look at the stuff that's been cryoed but you will be paying for it and there's been very little fact based research into whether there is a significant audio difference from normal ultra pure copper to one that's been cryoed. ALO Audio do a pure cryoed copper cable for $85 (not including delivery).

But really what you are comparing is say a decent default LOD out of copper like a FiiO L3/ L9 for $15 and a silver one for $50-60.
Also, do be aware that LODs which work with old gen ipods may not work with new itouches/iphones, make sure they are using the new pin layout in their connectors.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #20 of 23
My own experience with the FiiO LOD was a disaster. I actually thought my Arrow 2.2 G was defective cuz the sound was so warped. Fortunately i had a SendStation LOD lying around that i could use to verify that the amp was fine. Ive since upgraded to a better LOD, bought used from another Head-Fier.

Yes, its only $15 but for me it was $15 down the drain. If i could do it over i'd go straightnto the $40+ price tier as a baseline.

Hope this helps. Youre gonna love the Arrow!

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 23

Quote:
My own experience with the FiiO LOD was a disaster. I actually thought my Arrow 2.2 G was defective cuz the sound was so warped. Fortunately i had a SendStation LOD lying around that i could use to verify that the amp was fine. Ive since upgraded to a better LOD, bought used from another Head-Fier.

Yes, its only $15 but for me it was $15 down the drain. If i could do it over i'd go straightnto the $40+ price tier as a baseline.

Hope this helps. Youre gonna love the Arrow!

Interesting - my initial concern was that the Fiio LOD would be a waste of money, but thus far it has been a good investment. Hopefully, your experience was just part of the same quality control that sees some people get perfectly constructed E9 amps and others suffer from dodgy 3.5" headphone sockets. That isnt making excuses for Fiio - they need to lift their game - merely pointing out that you can get unlucky.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #22 of 23
My FiiO L9 came straight from Oyaide Japan, according the packaging, I don't know if that's a new thing or not. But it works perfectly, I also have a pure silver LOD on the way, so I can have some sort of A/B test to see if the cable really makes a difference, over a tiny distance of 4 inches.

May 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #23 of 23
After a good couple of weeks of using both cables, (average around 1.5hr to 2hrs a day). I've decided to permanently use my silver cable, the one definitive thing I can say is that at the same set volume on my amp, the silver LOD delivers sound noticeably louder, which in itself is a useful feature, as it means I can get increased use out of the same charge on my amp. Due to this, all sounds seem more vivid/clear as with anything played louder. I can admit it also looks a bit prettier and goes with my silver coloured cable.

That is really all there is. Is it 5 times better than my FiiO LOD (personally I think such an argument is flawed, as to it's logical conclusion, everyone would end up buying equipment in the cheapest range)? No, but is better on an absolute basis? Yes, as it is a noticeably better conductor evidenced by the increased volume (using an IEM, which perhaps are more sensitive to such differences).

No qualms about the FiiO LOD though, the L9 is well constructed, low profile and works very well. I just personally wouldn't use it now since I have a silver LOD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back