Portable Amp/DAC for Ultrasone 900 pro
Sep 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dmyster

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm looking for a portable headphone amp for my Ultrasone 900 pro's. Looking to spend about 200$, I was thinking of picking up the Ibasso D4, do you think that's a viable choice? Can you guys think think of any other suitable options?

Thanks in advance :)

Dmyster

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm using the iBasso D6 w/ the PRO900's and love the combo (for certain types of music). The DAC sounds much better than the regular PC out, you can hear a real difference. The difference between iPod Touch 4G -> LOD -> D6 vs iPod Touch alone is not that substantial as far as volume is concerned (they are pretty easy to drive). But I definitely prefer using the D6. So far the changes I've noticed is that it makes the low notes sound a lot better, bringing out the strength of these phones (very tight and clear bass). Dubstep sounds awesome with this combo, granted the source files are good.

I picked the D6 because the 12.6V Li polymer rechargeable battery has more juice than a 9V, and I wanted something that would be able to power higher impedance phones, in case I decide to purchase something different down the line. Charge lasts for a very, very long time. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my iBasso purchase. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
I'm using the iBasso D6 w/ the PRO900's and love the combo (for certain types of music). The DAC sounds much better than the regular PC out, you can hear a real difference. The difference between iPod Touch 4G -> LOD -> D6 vs iPod Touch alone is not that substantial as far as volume is concerned (they are pretty easy to drive). But I definitely prefer using the D6. So far the changes I've noticed is that it makes the low notes sound a lot better, bringing out the strength of these phones (very tight and clear bass). Dubstep sounds awesome with this combo, granted the source files are good.

I picked the D6 because the 12.6V Li polymer rechargeable battery has more juice than a 9V, and I wanted something that would be able to power higher impedance phones, in case I decide to purchase something different down the line. Charge lasts for a very, very long time. All in all, I'm pretty happy with my iBasso purchase. 

Awesome answer. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it and I'll pick one up!

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 5
I guess everyone already knew this, but it hit me smack in the face last night how much better Laptop ->D6->pro900 sounds vs ipod->D6->pro900. I thought it was just in my head, but last night I plugged my laptop into the usb in on the D6 and plugged the ipod into the line in at the same time and hit play at the same time on both. When I unplugged the ipod, i heard the laptop, when i plugged in the ipod, i heard the ipod. Best way to A/B because the same song is playing and I dont even have to remove/unplug the phones. Everything sounded a lot more alive and enveloping when it came from the laptop. The DAC on the D6 playes music at 24bit/96kHz. I'm guessing the DAC in the ipod doesn't even come close. Long story short, definitely find a good source if you really want to hear what the phones are capable of. Rant over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back