Portable <$100 with good sub-bass
Apr 18, 2011 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Wildstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Short story: I'd like a K81 with a sub-bass hump instead of its mid-bass hump. Any suggestions?

Long story: I'm searching for a "fun" (ie. bass heavy) portable, mostly for casual home use and the occasional commute.

The K81 would be perfect, heard it a couple of times, I love its mids and treble, even though the ridiculous mid-bass hump is annoying. But the worst is the lack of sub-bass, it seems to roll-off at 40 Hz or even higher...

Being used to the K340 and RE-ZERO, I have a hard time tolerating the lack of sub-bass, so I'm searching for alternatives.
Looking at joker's thread, I see the CAL! and Sony V6 as options, and maybe even the K181, if it indeed improves on its sibling's problems.

Anybody have an opinion on the sub-bass performance of these cans? Any alternatives?

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 6
You could try out the Sony MDR XB700, or wait for the imminent release of the XB1000, which according to Sony has a frequency response that goes all the way down to 2hz.  Not sure how much BS there is in that claim, but if you want lots and lots of bass and sub bass, that's your choice right there.  They are somewhat large though, but definitely small (and cheap) enough that you shouldn't worry too much about carrying them around with you.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Whoa there, not so much.

It's not that I want a huge bass, I just want it go into the sub-bass rather than the mid-bass range most 'phones do. In honesty, I think this is only possible in the M50 and HD25 price range, but I'm hoping to be surprised :p

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Whoa there, not so much.

It's not that I want a huge bass, I just want it go into the sub-bass rather than the mid-bass range most 'phones do. In honesty, I think this is only possible in the M50 and HD25 price range, but I'm hoping to be surprised
tongue.gif

Well, these 'phones go waaay into the sub-sub bass, and apparently have well-controlled upper-mid bass too.  They're not just a big lump of bass, they're actual headphones that you'd want to listen to music too, granted they wouldn't exactly be ideal for all [most] genres.

But if you think they're probably not for you, that's fine too. :p  It'd be pretty hard to find 'phones that have deep sub-bass but not-so-powerful mid-bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back