Popular Classical Music
May 18, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #6,260 of 8,750
Last Friday's concert from the NCH, Dublin.

Edit: The video is now available as well the audio link .

Friday May 14th - Soprano Aoife Miskelly and the RTÉ NSO LIVE are conducted by Peter Whelan

Peter Whelan conducts an all-Mozart programme which includes The Impresario Overture, Symphony No. 39, and arias from Così fan tutte, Le nozze di Figaro and Don Giovanni performed by Aoife Miskelly (photo Marshall Light Studios).

Read more in tonight's Programme Notes.

Mozart: Der Schauspieldirektor OvertureK.486
Mozart: 'In uomini, in Soldati' from Così fan tutte
Mozart: 'Giunse Alfin il momento'/' Deh vieni non tardar' from Le Nozze di Figaro
Mozart: Batti, batti o bel Masetto' from Don Giovanni
Mozart: Symphony 39, K.543

RTE National Symphony Orchestra
Peter Whelan, conductor
Aoife Miskelly, soprano

1621320864354.png

Audio link here

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #6,263 of 8,750
I want to listen to more classical music. But don’t really know where to start.
I listen a lot to soundtracks music, favorite composers are Ennio Morricone, Hans Zimmer and John Williams among others. Maybe that will give an idea about what I like.
Can you guys give me some tips on composers and recordings to listen to. I was self thinking of, Vivaldi, Mahler, Chopin, Tchaikovsky?

May 18, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #6,264 of 8,750
I listen a lot to soundtracks music, favorite composers are Ennio Morricone, Hans Zimmer and John Williams among others. Maybe that will give an idea about what I like.
Can you guys give me some tips on composers and recordings to listen to. I was self thinking of, Vivaldi, Mahler, Chopin, Tchaikovsky?

Hi el-jorge, the superfamous classicals are a good place to start. This is a good compilation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_50_Greatest_Pieces_of_Classical_Music
You can start with the selection and then move to the whole pieces. For example they only include part of the four seasons which deserves to be heard complete.
hope it helps!

May 18, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #6,265 of 8,750
May 20, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #6,270 of 8,750
It is really about finding out what appeals to you through trial and error and enjoying the journey.

From what you have said that you like, this piece immediately springs to mind.

Aaron Copland - "Fanfare for the Common Man" Conductor: Sir Gilbert Levine - Orchestra of St. Luke's

BTW, I have heard this live a few times over the last 20 years or so - but I distinctively remember missing it one evening (and another really well known cello piece) because the start time of the concert suddenly changed from the usual 8pm Friday to 7:30pm. Was I a little fluffed off that night!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back