Popular Classical Music
Aug 30, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #4,818 of 8,715
"Born Free" By: John Barry - The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra (July 2011)

John Barry: "Born Free" Theme - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (Oct 2015)

Aug 31, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #4,822 of 8,715
A documentary about the first years of Claudio Abbado in the Berliner Philarmoniker. It includes images of Berlin at the time of the fall of the wall. Also some beautiful musical fragments, particularly Mozart and Brahms at the end.

Looks like he fell for Siiri Schutz, the young pianist.

Aug 31, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #4,825 of 8,715
I've been listening to this Berg Violin Concerto for several nights now on PRIMEPHONIC streaming service:

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 7.37.55 PM.jpg

Here is a preview with the BPO:

Not for everyone to be sure, but I have found listening through headphones can be quite extraordinary. Huge dynamic range...

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #4,828 of 8,715
I've been listening to this Berg Violin Concerto for several nights now on PRIMEPHONIC streaming service:

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 7.37.55 PM.jpg

Here is a preview with the BPO:

Not for everyone to be sure, but I have found listening through headphones can be quite extraordinary. Huge dynamic range...

I have the native 24/48 pcm download version of this recording and yes the Berg is good imho.
Another fascinating modern digital recording of Alban Berg's music is Daniele Gatti's RCO LIVE version of Berg's Three Pieces for Orchestra coupled with excerpts from his Opera Lulu.
There is also a similar coupling with the GSO on a Chandos double SACD set.
One of the most fascinating live concerts I've attended in recent years was a live performance of Berg's Three Pieces for Orchestra in Singapore a couple of years ago.
NO recording can do the tremendous dynamic range and complexity of these works full justice imo.
Popular classical music?
Probably never.
Great 20th Century music?
Yes forever.
But I have several other recordings of Beethoven's Violin Concerto that I prefer over this one.
Cheers CC

Sep 2, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #4,830 of 8,715
Víkingur Ólafsson

He plays Bach, Rameau and Debussy with explanations. Fantastic!

Nice playing and some very good music. But I wish someone would please teach him how to film himself at the piano!
The angle he has chosen is the worst angle I've ever seen in a Youtube video.
His hands and fingers are completely hidden from view!
As a piano beginner ,whenever I watch a pianist's video I want to learn things.
I want to see what his or her hands and fingers are doing on the keyboard. Not hidden and not up in the air where he shows the left right dialogue in the Rameau piece.
Good pianist, but really bad amateur photographer.
Luckily the pros at DGG have filmed him more professionally in some promo videos.
SQ seems ok being Youtube though, probably only one stereo mic.
Cheers CC

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back